Author Topic: The Last Unicorn  (Read 3401 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: The Last Unicorn
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 04:41:31 PM »
Lloyd was not in Legend. I have refrained from my opinion of The Last Unicorn, but I can't with Legend. Legend was pure crap. It was worse than Krull.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 08:28:07 PM »
The only good thing about Legend was Tim Currey as Sata... umm, I mean "Darkness."  Tom Cruise was woefully miscast and that ten year old kid frolicking around in nothing but a tiny leaf speedo was just plain wrong on too many levels to even think about.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004, 08:30:14 PM »
sorry stacer, you're obviously thinking of something extremely unconnected.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 08:30:28 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2004, 08:34:31 PM »
I'm sure someone at some point when I was a kid recommended The Last Unicorn to me, because I seem to remember renting this movie I'm remembering, thinking it was what was recommended to me. Big surprise that it wasn't a cartoon, and it was so bad we didn't finish watching it. Someone killed a unicorn in the woods, it involved Christopher Lloyd somehow, but can't remember how.... Perhaps as a father? And it's not Legend I'm thinking of, which also involved a dead unicorn in the woods, didn't it?

The world will never know.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2004, 09:24:54 PM »
Actually, the director's cut of Legend is pretty good, in part because it doesn't resemble the original. Mostly cause they put the plot back in and got rid of the Flash Gordon soundtrack. For some reason they thought that cutting out a half-hour of footage and having synthasized music in original was a good idea.

There are some simularities between the Last Unicorn and Legend. The writers for Legend and Ridley Scott were trying to use as many "classic" fantasy elements as possible. The Last Unicorn is definitely full of classic elements, particularly pertaining to unicorns.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2004, 11:39:29 PM »
I'm sure someone at some point when I was a kid recommended The Last Unicorn to me, because I seem to remember renting this movie I'm remembering, thinking it was what was recommended to me. Big surprise that it wasn't a cartoon, and it was so bad we didn't finish watching it. Someone killed a unicorn in the woods, it involved Christopher Lloyd somehow, but can't remember how.... Perhaps as a father? And it's not Legend I'm thinking of, which also involved a dead unicorn in the woods, didn't it?

The world will never know.

Is this like that Frazz comic where he tells 8-year old Caulfield to read "The Little Prince" and Caulfield instead reads Machiavelli's "The Prince" ?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2004, 03:18:50 AM »
I absolutely hated the original Legend, but the new director's cut is, as 42 says, quite good. It's really so different you have to see it to believe it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2004, 03:37:45 AM »
Huh. Maybe I'll have to give Legend another look. Do they still kill a unicorn in the woods? That's when we turned off the original.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2004, 12:41:51 PM »
Good movie, great book. Peter S. Beagle has an amazing way with language. I wasn't thrilled with his themes in his other novels.

Tage: The Last Unicorn is about a unicorn (protectors of the forests) who hears a rumor that she is the last and goes looking for the rest of her kind. A wizard turns her into a human to protect her from the red bull, a magic beast controlled by the wizard who has captured all the other unicorns. She falls in love with the wizard's adopted son, they defeat the wizard, and free the unicorns.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2004, 12:47:43 PM »
who, if I remember, then inexplicably turn into whales.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2004, 02:01:05 PM »
turn into whales?  I don't think so.

They go off and spread around the world--they go back to their forests.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2004, 02:41:33 PM »
ok, then wt heck did *I* see?

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2004, 03:03:43 PM »
I have no idea.  Perhaps you were remembering the part where the unicorns are trapped in the white froth of the breakers (well, trapped in the sense that they were too scared of the Red Bull to come out of the water)?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2004, 03:09:49 PM »
c'est possible. Or maybe I'm just high. Never know with this medication.