Author Topic: The Last Unicorn  (Read 3393 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
The Last Unicorn
« on: August 15, 2004, 05:49:22 PM »
They recently released the 1982 cartoon on DVD.  I know it was recently, because a year ago (the week after we got married) I was looking for the DVD, and learned it was only available in region 2 DVD.  (If you look it up on the IMDB, you'll note the cover they show is the German one, because that's the only one that was available!)

Then hubby and I were at the new video store last night and they had a copy of it on DVD for $7.  Needless to say, I had to buy it.  Much better than the German DVD rip that I downloaded last year.  This is such a good movie.  I remember watching it on TV as a kid, and thinking it was the saddest story I'd ever seen.  Of course I loved it.

Still do.  And it's still horribly sad.  But that's the kind of melodramatic person I am/was.  I'm excited to see what they do with the live action remake (scheduled for 2006, the lazy slackers...)  The best part is they're using many of the same actors!  Mia Farrow, Angela Lansbury, Rene Auberjonois & Christopher Lee.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Unicorn
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 06:30:00 PM »
I also bought this on dvd a few weeks ago.  I was just wandering through Walmart and saw it for $10
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 07:52:45 PM »
Damned if i know what you are talking about, but oooh. Rene Auberjonois (Constable Odo) and Christopher Lee (Saruman)? Man, that should be able to best even the Odo -  Quark relationship.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 08:55:27 PM »
This was the first Studio Ghibli movie, before it was named Studio Ghibli and before Miyazaki came aboard. It's definitely a classic.

I had no idea they were even doing a live-action version. Same actors? That is definitely something to look forward to.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 09:03:12 PM »
Yeah, Angela Lansbury, Rene Auberjonois & Christopher Lee are all cast to play the same parts - respectively, Mama Fortuna, the skull, and King Haggard.  Mia Farrow is playing Molly Grue this time around, which I find to be delightful.

Apparently Christopher Lee is a huge fan of the book, and when they did the recordings for the first movie, he would bring his copy with him to badger the writers/directors into not leaving out specific things.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 11:25:24 PM »
Live action?!  That's definitely something I have to see.  I remember having nightmares about the red bull (we were driving in a car and it was chasing us).  

That is (and will continue to be) a great classic.  Now that it's out on DVD I will have to go and buy it.  Thanks for the heads-up!
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 11:54:13 PM »
We had that movie when I was a kid, and boy--I just didn't get it.  I think it was over my head, and that confused me.  After all, it was a cartoon, so it was supposed to be for kids, right?  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 05:46:09 AM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 01:40:22 AM »
Isn't Jeff Goldbloom in that?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 02:57:27 AM »
I shudder to imagine a live action version of that tree.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 01:16:04 PM »
The movie poster on IMDB prompted a slight flicker of memory, but I can't recall anything specific about that movie. I did a quick search on the web and couldn't find anything. Anybody got a web site I can go to and perhaps have my memory jogged?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 07:25:26 PM »
There are sites out there where you can download entire movies and I am certain you can find Last Unicorn.  If you actually want to do it the hard way, you can always drive down to ye local Blockbuster and check in the family section.

I saw Last Unicorn about the same time I saw Wizards, and Wizards won by a landslide.  Last Unicorn wasn't terrible, but I found it sort of bland.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 07:39:02 PM »
It was animated by a team of Japanese people.  We could have a TWG viewing!

Or, now that I have a legal copy I could give you the DVD rip I have on disc.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 08:51:57 AM »
I vaguely remember trying to watch it, and not being too impressed, but I was sure it was a live action movie involving Christopher ... what's his name? The one who played in Back to the Future and Taxi.

At any rate, I must not have seen it. Anybody know the unicorn one I *am* talking about?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 11:37:24 AM »
Christopher Lloyd.  I have no idea of the movie, though.  I looked at him on IMDB, but didn't see anything Unicornish.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 04:34:25 PM »
Legend? Did that have Lloyd in it? It had Tom Cruise...and unicorns...

My family rented that years ago and had to turn it off halfway through.

The Last Unicorn was produced by Rankin/Bass, the same people who were responsible for all those stop-motion animation Christmas specials like Rudolph. The animation was done by Topcraft, the studio that later did Nausicaa and later became Ghibli, same studio that did Mononoke and Spirited Away. As far as I know though a Japanese dubbed version of The Last Unicorn was never made.

(Rankin/Bass and Topcraft also did The Hobbit and The Return of the King, and some of the people involved went to the studio that did Thundercats and Silverhawks.)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 04:35:05 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!