Author Topic: The Ring (no spoilers)  (Read 1745 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
The Ring (no spoilers)
« on: October 28, 2002, 12:07:51 AM »
Anyone else see this yet?

Creep city, man.  I love horror films and this is one of the better ones I've seen of late.  Very chilling movie that inspires a sense of dread instead of just a few scares. That said...

The only problems I had with it were:
1) VERY disjointed storyline.  Halfway through the movie the story takes this long turn that it doesn't need to go on as it resolves nothing and you find out very little.
2)Far too many cheap/fake scares.  C'mon people, just stop with these already.
3) The kid.  Suddenly, everyone wants to be Haley Joel Osmet (sp).  This kid has one moment where he truly shines and is just in the way the rest of the film.

This was my kind of movie, surreal horror.  Kind of like Muholland Dr. in mood, but nowhere near as intelligent.  Interestingly, Naomi Watts shined in both movies.

I really want to see the original Japanese version now.  Most say its superior in all ways and I'd like to see if that is true.  It's supposed to come out on Region 1/ Region 0 DVDs sometime next year, so keep your eyes open!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2002, 12:08:34 AM by Mr_Pleasington »

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ring (no spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2002, 02:54:10 PM »
I've stayed away from most horror films ever since last year's Jeepers Creepers which was so bad that I actually cringed while watching it.  I really wish they would start coming up with some good horror again.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2002, 04:31:55 PM »
I'm posting a review of this movie on Friday (as part of our Halloween-themed week that seems to have not fully materialized), so I'm not going to get into it much here.  I'll just say that I liked it a lot, but I'd probably like the Japanese version better if I could find a copy of it somewhere.  It's the best horror movie to come out in the last couple of years - slightly better than "The Others".  Interestingly, it bears little resemblance to the two other movies that were based on the Japanese "Ring" - "feardotcom" (which was terrible) and "Blair Witch Project" (which was good but in a very different way).

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2002, 12:40:43 AM »
Actually the Japanese version is supposed to be really edgy and scary.  I wonder if there's any chance of it being released in the United States.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2002, 04:16:26 PM »
Check my first post here, Slant.  It should be coming out on Region 1 DVD sometime next year.

I look forward to seeing it.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2002, 04:54:22 PM »
i'm seeing it next week, my Japanese teacher want's to see it but thinks it's too scary to watch by herself.  So we're haveing a class party so she can watch it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2002, 08:02:55 PM »
Hey, ANY excuse for a party works for me.  :)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 12:02:09 PM »
ok, playing resurrectionist

One of the problems of having cable/satellite is the inability to not watch a show that started 45-60 minutes ago that you want to see (even though there's another showing in 7 hours that I could tape). So I watched about half of The Ring today. Pretty freaky, but I didn't understand a thing. Will it be totally ruined if I tape the first hour tonight and watch the rest?

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
TRe: The Ring (no spoilers)
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 12:16:49 PM »
Tape the whole thing, so that you can remind yourself of it if you need to. I haven't seen it since I saw it in the theatre, and I came away with such a bad feeling that I've never wanted to see it again. Very freaky, and I just felt icky coming away from it.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 12:44:27 PM »
Yeah then make copies of the tape for your friends ;)