Author Topic: Movies based on P.K. Dick stories  (Read 1150 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Movies based on P.K. Dick stories
« on: October 21, 2004, 01:01:38 AM »
I know we've talked about this somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look it up. Something made me think about this tonight, and now I want to make a list, because there are so many, and because I've got a book of short stories by P.K. Dick in which I only recognize two stories that have been made into movies, so I'm thinking there must be more, and I'm missing it.

So, the stories in my collection are:

Autofac
Service Call
Captive Market
The Mold of Yancy
The Minority Report
Recall Mechanism
The Unreconstructed M
Explorers We
War Game
If There Were No Benny Cemoli
Novelty Act
Waterspider
What the Dead Men Say
Orpheus with Clay Feet
Stand-By
What'll We Do with Ragland Park?
Oh, to Be a Blobel!

(He's got a lot of great titles, huh?)

So, here's my list:

"The Minority Report" = Minority Report (duh)
"Recall Mechanism" = Total Recall (?) --or is it from "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale"?

And then add to it movies I know of that aren't in this collection or that I can't match up:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? = Blade Runner
? = Imposter (?--this *was* a P.K. Dick story, right?)
"Paycheck" (?) = Paycheck

Is it just these five? What else is there?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 01:02:29 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Movies based on P.K. Dick stories
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 01:52:32 AM »
Total Recall  was "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale"

and you're also right about Blade Runner.  Story title is way cooler, but Blade Runner is a better name for an action movie you have to admit.

"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 04:14:33 AM »
I'm not sure at all about Paycheck. Impostor was Impostor. (Unless it's spelled "er" -_-)

His name was spelled wrong in the credits for Total Recall (they gave him two Ls. His name is Philip).

I find it interesting that he has lots of short stories made into movies. Electric Sheep is the only novel of his I know of that got the movie treatment. It seems much more common for movies to be based on novels than short stories, though Stephen King has had at least one short story go movie, but his novel to movie conversions far outnumber the short story to movies.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 05:10:00 AM »
The book for total recall was written by Alan Dean Foster,... but he may have based it on a Dick story...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 06:08:52 AM »
The book came out to coinside with the movie Jeffe, if you watch the opening sequence of the movie it says "Based on We Can Remember It for You Wholesale by Phillip K. Dick".
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 09:10:57 AM »
The book for total recall was written by Alan Dean Foster,... but he may have based it on a Dick story...

Uhm. No. The novelization of hte movie was written by Piers Anthony. click here if you don't believe me. I own a copy of it, because I was an Anthony-junkie at the time (no worries, been try for a well over a decade). But the movie was certainly adapated from the PKD novel. So the Anthony novel is an adaptation of an adaptation.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 02:09:29 AM »
ya. I read the book back then too. The first edition of it didn't mention the movie on the cover or anything. At least, it wasn't like some movie poster cover like one of the paperback versions of Hunt for Red October.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!