Author Topic: Locking Forklift before there was a reason too  (Read 3081 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Locking Forklift before there was a reason too
« on: December 15, 2004, 08:45:52 AM »
I was actually trying to ask an important question,... before the thread got locked. I think prematurely, or at least before I got a response from the person involved. Im sorry if it came off like I was attacking ookla, I wasnt trying to (it was after all late and rereading the thread it does seem harsher than I thought when I first read it) The question was going to be If a person wants someone to ask that violence, or something else come with a warning on this site then shouldnt there be a standard. I honestly dont get why violence in the one case is spiritually damaging, while in the other it was ok. And had been prepared to add a warning to anything I was going to post dealing with violence. After I read the Dead Mouse thread I decided that a graphic image of someone getting their head opened up with a meat cleaver might be over the top violence wise. I was surprised when Ookla wasnt offended by this. Sure having different standards is one thing but to ask that something be labled (which is effectively what happend) and then say its ok in another instance is just confusing and to be honest I want a little clarification. Especially when it seems like I am being morally judged for not thinking the forklift movie was bad. Maybe its just me, and maybe Im the reverse of Ookla, I was a little freaked out by the graphic images in one thread, namely Dead Mouse, and amused by the forklift video. But I think it is a valid subject that should be talked about. if only to avoid having a serious argument about it later. I think that we have been pretty mature about discussing it and think that steps taken to end the discussion were premature. If Ookla had a problem with what I posted he could have written to me, I list my Email account on the board, and surprisingly I would have dropped the issue if he had asked. Likewise if anyone had asked I probably would have dropped it. The policy of warning someone about content is an important one, and one that should be talked out. I actually understood Ooklas point about the forklift video even if I didnt agree with it and like I said I was prepared to do something about it. Now Im not as clear on the idea.

Anyhow, I want this to be two things,
1 An apolgy to Ookla personally if he thought I went over the line
and
2 An appeal to the board to come up with an objectionable post standard.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 09:03:27 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Locking Forklift before there was a reason too
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 08:59:48 AM »
I asked that that thread be locked becsaue of the personal level you were trying to take it to.  Ookla stated that the video offended him, and thats all.  The rest of us decided to make a big deal out of it, which it wasn't, and eventualy that discussion started to degrade till it got to the point where it was starting to get personal.  The last thing we want is for others to get offended and leave TWG becsaue of it.

I'm not sorry it happened and will do it again if the need arises.  Discussions are fine, belittleing someone because of their views on something isn't.  As far as I'm concerned this discussion is over, there's nothing more to be said on the reasons why it was locked.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 09:16:44 AM »
I wasnt belittling him or his views Spriggan and I challenge you to prove otherwise. After a reread I dont think I said anything worse than anyone else in the thread (on either side). I was trying to ask him why it (extreme violence) was ok in one circumstance and not ok in another using the response that he gave me in another thread. I respect and applaud his choice to believe that violence is damaging, but am puzzled by what has been written.. I hoped that by posting what I did he would explain his belief further. As far as I know it might just be he never got to the part in that comic strip where the little girl cuts the little boys head open. I think the matter should have been up to Ookla  and would be better with it if he had asked to lock the thread, which was pretty tame compared to anything that Ive seen locked here before.

The problem is that almost every time Ive seen a thread locked on this board its been at your request, anonymously I may add untill someone calls you out on it in which case you admit it and then say you werent in the wrong at all and would do it agian. But there were at least a half dozen things you could have done before taking the nuclear option.

Theres warning people in the thread, or by email (which is what most other sites do) that things are getting to personal or just made an attempt to mediate things, even steering the conversation in another direction would have been an option. Hey you could have even talked to Saint, and had him talk to me as you talked to Ookla.

Posting a friendly reminder to keep things clean would have even been ok.

The way it stands now no one even gets the opportunity to discuss something controversial because it "might" end in a flame war. But if we dont ever discuss stuff like this, then we dont really communicate. Im left with the impression that Ookla is one way and he doesnt even get a chance to explain and I want him to explain Im curious that he feels so strongly about a thing that he stands up and tells all of us how strongly he feels and want to know why that conviction doesnt extend to something else. I dont know if all this was done to protect him, or me or the boards or what. But a discussion between the two of us on this topic would hardly have been WWIII. Its not like its politics or abortion and I think it would have fit in nicely with the discussions going on in the Nerdery and in EUOLs rants about sex in fiction and roleplaying games.
Furthermore I think we could have handled it pretty well.

Now Im going to go to bed and I half expect this thread to be locked by the time I wake up.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 09:36:33 AM by ElJeffe »

MoreDew

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Fire up the woodchipper, it's punishment time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 12:02:11 PM »
you can do what I do: view everyone else as inferior and subordinate to yourself.  See, not everyone is going to agree to what you believe so it best to believe that you are better than everyone else; that your way of thinking is superior and that nobody will ever amount to your level of superiority because what they believe is just plain silly.

Don't worry StrangeElf, I feel your pain.  I thought the video was great; and I know you weren't trying to start a flamewar.  
gimme a tattoo of a butt, with a butt-shaped tattoo, right on my butt!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 03:54:46 PM »
I would just like to say that I am offended by Jeffe's elf.  I don't like the way it's staring at me.   ;D ;D

Kidding...by the way...
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 04:23:17 PM »
yes but that was planned... it is a sinister elf.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 04:29:49 PM »
Ahh.  I see.  So you're being *intentionally* offensive with your elf.  Shame on you.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 04:46:39 PM »
that just has far, far too many feudian possibilities.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 04:48:47 PM »
Excuse my ignorance--

Is feudian a word?

I suppose I could look it up, but the dictionary is not my friend.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 04:49:12 PM by MsFish »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 04:50:00 PM »
I just misspelled Freudian. Geez. I'm a lit major, not a speller.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004, 04:56:09 PM »
talk about a feudian slip ;)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2004, 05:00:48 PM »
I'm not trying to criticize your spelling, I just didn't understand you.  I thought you were accusing me of starting a feud.   ;D

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2004, 05:03:33 PM »
but you are a feud. In the medieval meaning of the word.

Ok, yeah, for the record: I realize that made like, no sense. But I'm going to leave it as is for posterity's sake.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2004, 05:06:24 PM »
I'm glad you said that, because I was going to hurt my brain, trying to figure out what you meant.  And my brain already hurts.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2004, 05:36:28 PM »
feud, feud feud  :P