Author Topic: Phantom of the Opera  (Read 2046 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Phantom of the Opera
« on: December 22, 2004, 03:30:26 PM »
Here's a line from Ebert's review.  I think it's really funny:

There was something unwholesome and pathetic about the 1925 Phantom, who scuttled like a rat in the undercellars of the Paris Opera and nourished a hopeless love for Christine. The modern Phantom is more like a perverse Batman with a really neat cave.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
Re: Phantom of the Opera
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 03:36:09 PM »
I've not heard a lot of good reviews for this, which really saddens me cause I love the Broadway of Phantom.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 03:54:34 PM »
I actually don't like the Broadway version, and I think it's interesting because Ebert's complaints about the movie are the same things I have about the play: it is not a story -- it is a spectacular. The Phantom of the Opera Extravaganza. The story is completely secondary to the fireworks and costumes and falling chandeliers.  The story seems shallow, present only to give the stage manager another excuse for setting off a smoke bomb.

(I'm being a little harsh here.  I like it okay, I just think it is vastly, vastly overrated.  It's escapism -- which isn't necessarily bad -- it's just the Jerry Bruckheimer summer blockbuster of Broadway.  It serves a purpose, but doesn't deserve all the devotion it gets.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 03:56:25 PM by House_of_Mustard »
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 04:42:00 PM »
Phantom is to Broadway what Armaggeddon was to Hollywood: a mindless, shallow blockbuster with big names and flashy effects, designed solely to make money. It gives me no end of joy to watch the movie version get slammed for, essentially, faithfully recreating a terrible show.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 06:45:52 PM »
So is that why I kept falling asleep when I went to see it with my family at Shea's? I don't feel so bad anymore.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 08:30:44 PM »
Well, it is at 41% on rottentommatoes. Course I believe that is 41% of critics who have obviously been mis-informed about this movie.

It also been nominated for a golden globe for best picture. Another sign that there are alot of uninformed people out there.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 11:37:00 PM »
Phantom is to Broadway what Armaggeddon was to Hollywood: a mindless, shallow blockbuster with big names and flashy effects, designed solely to make money.

Hey, I liked Armaggeddon.  Especially more than Phantom of the Opera.  I am inclined to agree that it is overrated
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 03:45:33 AM »
Okay, so I haven't actually seen the musical.  Or the movie.  (Is it even out yet?  If so, when did that happen?) I've only heard the music.  But sometimes musicals are worth it just because the music is SOO cool that you don't care what the plot is.  

Take Rent for example.  Rent does have a good plot, but it's really not the sort of plot I go around exposing myself to for fun.  There's alot of sex; there's alot of swearing; there's alot of other content I generally avoid.  
But the music is awesome.  Like amazingly awesome.  So I listen to it anyway, because the music blows me away, still, and I've been listening to it for six years.  

I think Phantom is sorta like that.  People enjoy the music, so they don't care that they aren't interested in the plot.  The music from Phantom isn't really my style, so it isn't my favorite, but for some people it is.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 04:06:14 AM »

Take Rent for example.  Rent does have a good plot, but it's really not the sort of plot I go around exposing myself to for fun.  There's alot of sex; there's alot of swearing; there's alot of other content I generally avoid.  
But the music is awesome.  Like amazingly awesome.  So I listen to it anyway, because the music blows me away, still, and I've been listening to it for six years.  

Me too!!!!!

Though if it ever came locally, I WOULD  have to see it.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 01:15:11 PM »
I've seen the musical and I've never been able to see what the hype is really about.  The story, the songs, the set, none of these things do anything for me at all.  

My fiance and her family are the opposite and have been trying to drag me to the movie.  Let's hope I can hold out...

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 11:06:16 PM »
I saw Rent when it was in San Fran, at the Orpheum.  That's how I first heard about it.  Absolutely amazing.  Best show I've ever seen.  If you ever get the chance, GO!

We should have a Rent party.  I don't run into a lot of LDS people who like it (or have heard of it) and I'm always afraid to play it for people.  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 11:07:40 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 11:35:39 PM »
Hey, it's a deal!
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2004, 08:21:48 PM »
Yay!  I'm going to hold you to that.  When I get back to Utah, that is.  

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2004, 06:12:12 AM »
I've only heard one song from Rent and I thought it was pretty pedestrian and boring (the one about measuring a year). I've heard that the show is good, but based on my reaction to that song I've never been able to muster the will to see/hear the rest of it.

And the music in Phantom? Heaven help whoever can sit through that much repetitive grandstanding without getting irate.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2004, 03:17:42 PM »
Sadly, that is the one song everyone knows, and probably the least imaginative and impressive song in the show.  Try listening to "Rent" or "Today for you, Tomorrow for me" or "No Day but Today."  I'm also partial to "Happy New Year" and "Living in America," but that could be just me.  "La Vie Boheme" is good also, but I generally only listen to the first half, because after that it gets really bad (like, content bad, not quality).  It also helps if you know the story, because then you understand what they're saying with the songs.