Author Topic: American Idol  (Read 2818 times)

Rican

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
American Idol
« on: January 20, 2005, 02:24:56 PM »
I just want to known when are they going to end this awful show? And the only reason I have to watch this mockery of a show is due to two people.  My brother who is a fanatic of this show and my boss (aka fiancĂ©) who loves singing and anything to do with singing.  I almost mist a premiere to a movie due to the fact my brother had to find out who won this god-awful contest.  I also have no say in the clicker when this show is on cause she gets the clicker.  Anyways my other problem with this show is do these people and by these people I mean all the singers who can’t sing who sound like a cat you just ran over with a steamroller. Why do they come on this show and don’t they realize they bad and can’t sing?  Come on it doesn’t take brainpower to realize that if you can and can’t sing.  I can’t sing and there forth I should not be on this show, however my fiancĂ© can sing and should be on this show.  It just that simple.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: American Idol
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 02:41:36 PM »
my wife and her sister were watching this last night. I explained to them that "this is why I can't watch TV with you people."
then I went to go watch my Smallville DVDs

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 02:59:57 PM »
This is the only reality show I ever watched.  I watched Season 2, no others.

And really, the only reasoned I watched is b/c it was a way for me and a friend who just moved away to still connect.

It's entertaining about 25% of the time.

But I would never buy an album from anyone on the show.

When I was in Australia I caught their version of AI.  There was a Beatles night.  Everyone on the show, even the sefl-proclaimed musicians, forgot the words to the songs and butchered them.  They then blamed their poor performance on not having grown up with the Beatles.   I wanted to slap each of them.

Musicians, let this be a lession to you.  You should become intimitely familiar with the Beatles if you're getting into the industry.  They are legends for a reason.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 03:34:58 PM »
I saw some of the first season, and have watched every season since, and despite my general dislike for pop music it's honestly not a bad show. The early episodes, where they make fun of people who can't sing, aren't much to talk about, but once they narrow it down the people are genuinely talented. As someone with extensive background in the singing and theater, I enjoy watching talented people perform--if you don't have that background then obviously you're not going to have the same interest.

Last year's winner did a performance of Summertime, from Porgy and Bess, that blew my socks off. It was perfectly sung and astonishingly emotional. Say what you will about manufactured pop stars and the insatiable evil of the media machine--that song alone was worth watching the season for.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 12:48:04 AM »
Yay for Clay Aiken...

I watched most of season 2 and 3, and I like it often. Wouldn't miss it if it wasn't on, and not going out of my way to make time to watch it if there's something else to be done.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 11:40:48 AM »
Last year's winner did a performance of Summertime, from Porgy and Bess, that blew my socks off.

Ugh! For a show that says it looks for original acts, Fantasia sounds way too much like Macy Gray to me. And I can't stand Macy, I just do not like that grating voice.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 12:30:04 PM »
Macy Gray sucks, I admit. I don't see a lot of similarity between her and Fantasia, though (who is far better).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 11:36:45 PM »
I certainly do. To my ears they sound almost identical, and I watched pretty much all of 3rd season.

I wish singers wouldn't say "c'mon y'all" etc. all of a sudden in the middle of their songs. Just sing the song...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

cheesegrater

• Level 1
  • I'm a Zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 12:19:57 AM »
American Idol is a disease. The whole show is a big product placement. The singing sucks, and the judges try to be cool by acting stupid and saying stupid things. Who the f*** buys their CDs?! It is NOT funny or entertaining.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 12:21:25 AM by cheesegrater »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 04:33:27 AM »
"American Idol" was the single most popular search term in 2004 for both AOL and Yahoo, each episode gets more votes than the last, and the CDs all sell like hotcakes. So apparently millions of people disagree with you.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 06:23:32 AM »
Yes, but millions of people are wrong.

In addition, Millions of people are Idiots.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 06:52:49 AM »
Just becasue you don't like something dosen't mean those that do are idiots.  And who care's if it's "one big product placement"?  That's all TV is anyway.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 07:22:56 AM »
I never said that those people specifically are idiots, just that millions of people are idiots.

If you don't believe that, work in Helpdesk/Customer Service/ Retail.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2005, 08:22:01 AM »
oh, well that's different and true.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 08:26:17 AM »
I never said those people weren't idiots either. They are.