Author Topic: The Greatest American Hero  (Read 1579 times)

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
The Greatest American Hero
« on: May 19, 2005, 05:36:51 AM »
How cool is this, I was just walking through the store and saw Greatest American Hero season 1 on dvd!  Like everyone remembers this show, but I've never seen them play it on TV sine it came out like 20 years ago.  So its cool to finally see it again.  I was actually hoping this series would come out on dvd, but I never could find anything about it... then it just magically appears.  God must be happy with me... if only I could remember what I was doing right....
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: The Greatest American Hero
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 05:53:13 AM »
... if only I could remember what I was doing right....

That would be writeing adventures for us  ;D
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 06:24:55 AM »
I think 42 did more work on that then I did.  That reminds me of a question of sorts I had.  What about adventures that featured certain supplements?  IE an adventure that featured monsters from MM3, or was about some organisation featured in a Complete book.  I think a few like that might be cool, cause after droping 30$ on a book its nice to get some use out of it.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 07:35:08 AM »
I'm sure it will be fine as long as you don't reprint anything that would violate copyrights.

But lets move this part of the discussion to the RPG board (in TWGventure) so we don't have multiple threads discussing these things.  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 07:39:32 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 11:42:50 PM »
I loved The Greatest American Hero (truly, madly, deeply) and have been waiting for it to be released on DVD since... well, since before there were DVDs.  I read, though, that they weren't able to get the rights to use some of the songs (weren't able to or didn't try, I don't know), so the songs were replaced or cut, and there may have been other things edited as well.  (Then there was that whole Hinkley/Hanley/"Mister H" thing...I was hoping they could have fixed that somehow.)  

So I'm thinking I'd like to watch a couple episodes before plunking down the money.  I'm sure I'll have to, eventually.  I never did see the pilot episode, which has left my life unfulfilled.   ;)
~금강산도 식후경~

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 01:52:10 AM »
We downloaded the whole series a year and a half ago, before the DVD set came out.  Maybe we could hook you up.   ;D
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 02:12:35 AM »
Songs replaced? Augh! Sacrilege! I loved that show. I used to imagine I could fly with a running start like him. Good thing I never tried it off a roof or anything. ;)

You know, the more late 70s/early 80s TV that gets resurrected, the more I realize just how much of a TV junkie I was as a kid. Seems like every show that was good enough to be resurrected (and many that haven't been yet, or were in reruns most of the late 80s and through the 90s) was something I remember watching and loving on a regular basis. No wonder Mom was always trying to get us to turn it off. After my parents' divorce (I was 6 at the time, so prime TV memory years), it was so hard for her to police it, what with her having to work so much, that we stayed up much later than she wanted and watched pretty much whatever we wanted every night.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 02:14:12 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 03:03:19 AM »
Ha! My mom was a TV nazi too. She tried all sorts of tricks to control our TV watching, including having little charts we had to fill out on the Sunday prior to the week with what we were planning to watch, and we were only allotted like five hours a week total, so we had to be selective--especially with so many desirable Saturday morning cartoons. Of course, any time she left to run errands we would watch TV. We were devious little brats when it came to coveted TV time. She always knew, though--I can't lie to save my life.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 04:12:33 PM »
I don't remember any songs but the theme song, so I couldn't say if they are missing or not.  There are a lot of songs in it though, especially in the first one.  It also has the primer to Greatest American Heroine, which never made it to TV.

Now when you tried to fly like him, did you do it right?  Cause you have to take 3 steps before you jump.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 04:24:19 PM »
Oh, who knows. I was about 8 at the time. Or something. I don't remember exactly what years it ran.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 04:56:01 PM »
(Then there was that whole Hinkley/Hanley/"Mister H" thing...I was hoping they could have fixed that somehow.)

details?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 10:14:55 PM »
From the IMDB -

"The main character's last name was changed during the series run, from Hinkley to Hanley, because of the name's negative connection with John Hinckley's attempt on the life of Ronald Reagan. However, when the "Greatest American Heroine" pilot was produced in 1986, Ralph's name was back to being Hinckley. Ironically, the pilot includes a scene in which Hinckley meets the President - who, in 1986, was still Reagan."
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2005, 11:46:55 AM »
Yep, they changed it in the first season, I think, and then changed it back in the second season, but still used "Mr. H" a lot (maybe to avoid actually saying the name as much as they could?)  I was hoping they could just sort of dub the Hinkleys back in over the Hanleys.  Oh well.
~금강산도 식후경~