Author Topic: Batman Begins (no spoilers)  (Read 9707 times)

Akeyata

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • XENA!!!   nuff said.
    • View Profile
Re: Batman Begins (no spoilers)
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2005, 02:00:03 PM »
by normal I meant mainstream.  I should have used that word instead.  Sorry

And I haven't been talking about Tim Burton for a while now.  I though we were discussing movies made from comic books.  It is in that respect that I am telling you what sells and what doesn't.  I was defending my position that the public likes movies based on comic books to be action packed and visual.  The general public likes most movies to be action packed and visual.  

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2005, 02:08:17 PM »
Which subject we were on because YOU were trying to defend the esteem in which you hold Burton.

Akeyata

• Level 3
  • XENA!!!   nuff said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2005, 02:20:18 PM »
remember what I said about being touchy?  My goodness.  I'm honestly sorry to have offended you with the "normal" comment, I meant you are not mainstream, which is usually a good thing.  And i have plenty to back that up by the way.  For instance that you are registered on this site and get really really upset when I say the words comic book.  If someone acted that way when I mentioned that I think the Broncos (despite any evidence to the contrary) are completely better than the Packers, they would be labeled a complete fanatic.  I am not the only one with "emotionally charged responses" here.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2005, 02:26:15 PM »
so telling someone they are Waaaaaay off base and that they are extremely poor (and occassionally offensive) at expressing their views is "abnormal" now. Right.

Look, you may have meant certain things, but they're not what you said. You didn't say that the brothers Gibb would be bad at telling you what you would or wouldn't like. You called them ignorant for doing something they had a legitimate basis for saying. You didn't say we were not mainstream. You said we weren't normal. and so on.

I'm the king of saying things that can be misunderstood. Ask Skar. He'll tell you. However, you're not just saying that we've interpretted your comments wrong, you're telling us that you meant something other than you said.

Akeyata

• Level 3
  • XENA!!!   nuff said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2005, 02:34:29 PM »
I don't think they had a legitimate basis for saying that.  As a person stating their opinion maybe, but I think that when one is reviewing movies for others in a more formal setting such as this they have a certain obligation to temper such statements.  

And the words normal and mainstream are usually interchangeable, but I will concede that mainstream is much more appropriate in this context and I have already apologized for not using it in the first place.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2005, 03:11:59 PM »
That's what I'm saying. "opinion" is a legitimate cause for disagreement. This is hardly a formal setting, either. Read the other articles, you'll see. calling someone ignorant because they disagree with you, however, is MUCH less legitimate -- not to mention extremely rude.

What I think you mean, but didn't say, is that you disagreed with them. Which is fine. But saying that their opinion is ignorant or illegitimate is hardly appropriate. Further, repeating over and over that someone who disagrees with you MUST be missing some information is also quite impolite at best (and yes, you did that, every single time I ventured to say that Big Fish isn't a good movie -- apparently the only reason someone who isn't clearly insane can disagree with you is if they aren't qualified to form a valid opinion on the subject).

by the way, "Normal" and "mainstream" are rarely perfectly interchangeable, actually. "Normal" is a much, much more psychically loaded term. Not just in this context, but in nearly every context I can think of. Just for future reference.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2005, 04:50:48 PM »
Okay. In light of my love for all things democratic and free, I will not be closing this thread. That said, this argument is dipping fairly heavily into "saying the same things over and over and making everybody mad" territory, so I advise all parties to drop it and move on to other topics in other threads. You are free to discuss movies, but if we can leave this emotionally charged environment and do it somewhere else I think we'd all be a lot happier.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2005, 05:37:47 PM »
Batman does not condone this arguement. Go watch Batman Begins.

Now! *whipcracks*
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2005, 05:48:16 PM »
Whip cracks imply Catwoman, not Batman. And frankly, I'm appalled.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2005, 06:30:58 PM »
But i'm appauled, which is even better.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2005, 06:53:18 PM »
You people who spell it "appauled" are less than us normal people.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 06:53:30 PM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Akeyata

• Level 3
  • XENA!!!   nuff said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2005, 12:08:11 AM »
I feel the need to inform you of a situation.

While I in no way change my opinions at all, I would like to say that I am not usually such a fathead.  I do have a reason for it, if you would be patient enough to listen again.

I am experiencing a withdrawl from a prescription medication that I have been on since last July.  Had I expected such an adverse reaction I wouldn't have chosen this time to make my debut on this site.  

I was recently informed by those close to me that I am flying off the handle at everyone for stupid things, even at my beautiful children whom I love more than anything.  

So while I retain my basic opinions, I would like to offer an apology for the attitude and phrasing and generally everything.  

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2005, 12:15:07 AM »
That can be tough. It's good you were able to realize it. Don't worry, people fly off the handle at each other around here periodically and we always make up.  :)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2005, 01:14:50 AM »
SE has flown off the handle so many times, he doesn't even remember where it is.

I'm sorry to hear it, Akeyata...and somewhat surprised to be hearing it in this context. Usually mom calls me up and yaks all about this kind of stuff.

And now she's probably reading this thread--I'm so screwed.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2005, 09:13:44 AM »
Wait.

There's still a handle?