Author Topic: article: Bye bye, and Bye Bond  (Read 5888 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
article: Bye bye, and Bye Bond
« on: September 06, 2005, 01:58:48 PM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1141

personally, the thought of Hugh Grant as James Bond chokes me up with laughter.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: article: Bye bye, and Bye Bond
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 02:19:15 PM »
As a huge Bond fan, I quite liked this article, and have a lot of opinions on the subject. I pretty much agree with your ratings, though I want to point out that Valentin, the Russian smuggler, was a strong recurring character and gave us the best moment in "The World is not Enough." There was so much potential in that movie, and it breaks my heart that it sucked so much. Also, despite the buzz that Berry got for role, I think it goes without saying that Michelle Yeoh was much better and would make a far more interesting and watchable character were they ever to bring a Bond Girl back or spin one off into her own series.

As for new Bonds, Clive Owen is the obvious one, but I could see Gruffud doing something interesting with the role. Mcmahon has been wretched in everything I've ever seen him in. Mcgregor is awesome, but I'm not sure I can see him as Bond, and Grant I just...I can't see it working. He's never played a character that didn't evoke a puppy dog at some point, with his stammering and bumbling and fawning, and I doubt he has the range to turn that around into a good Bond. Ledger is an intriguing suggestion, and I could probably be convinced.

My favorite suggestion, however, is not on your list: Christopher Walken. He would be older, yes, and the accent would either be gone or terrible, but just imagine him in the role--he could do everything Bond needs to do, and he'd do it with a perfect mix of style, wit, and underlying danger. Bond is a man who kills people for a living, often casually, and often accompanied by heartless one-liners--Walken could bring out the darker undercurrents of that character in a remarkable way.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 02:56:14 PM »
Just to clarify, we did not write the headline for this article. Brosnan did NOT leave, he was fired by the Broccoli's.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 02:58:49 PM »
I'd suggest Bale, but he just doesn't do the right kind of characters. Bale does tormented characters, and Bond's only moments of torment occur over whether or not to attach a union jack to his top secret stealth vehicles.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 03:11:17 PM »
As a huge Bond fan, I quite liked this article, and have a lot of opinions on the subject. I pretty much agree with your ratings, though I want to point out that Valentin, the Russian smuggler, was a strong recurring character and gave us the best moment in "The World is not Enough." There was so much potential in that movie, and it breaks my heart that it sucked so much. Also, despite the buzz that Berry got for role, I think it goes without saying that Michelle Yeoh was much better and would make a far more interesting and watchable character were they ever to bring a Bond Girl back or spin one off into her own series.

As for new Bonds, Clive Owen is the obvious one, but I could see Gruffud doing something interesting with the role. Mcmahon has been wretched in everything I've ever seen him in. Mcgregor is awesome, but I'm not sure I can see him as Bond, and Grant I just...I can't see it working. He's never played a character that didn't evoke a puppy dog at some point, with his stammering and bumbling and fawning, and I doubt he has the range to turn that around into a good Bond. Ledger is an intriguing suggestion, and I could probably be convinced.

My favorite suggestion, however, is not on your list: Christopher Walken. He would be older, yes, and the accent would either be gone or terrible, but just imagine him in the role--he could do everything Bond needs to do, and he'd do it with a perfect mix of style, wit, and underlying danger. Bond is a man who kills people for a living, often casually, and often accompanied by heartless one-liners--Walken could bring out the darker undercurrents of that character in a remarkable way.

I agree about Valetin. He was the best part of "The World is Not Enough." As we mentioned in the atricle, Michelleo Yeoh was fabulous, and and I agree that I would much rather see a movie about Wait lin than Jinx.

I know the Hugh grant thing seems silly to alot of people, and a bit so to me, too, but i do feel that with "Bridget Jones" nd "about a Boy" he has moved on from the stammering puppy dog to more of a roguinsh cad personailty, which is ceratinyl the Bond of the films. As for how he would work in the action, who knows, but it's worth pointing out htat many people felt that Brosnan wouldn't be cedible doing action, and they are eating crow.

- Sting

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 03:18:02 PM »
I just wanted make it abundantly clear that the Orlando Bloom bashing, whether you agree with it or not, comes from the editor, not from the writers of this article.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 03:23:00 PM by Patrick_Gibbs »
- Sting

Legion

• Level 9
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 03:43:13 PM »
I could not see Christopher Walken as the next Bond.  I do love him in just about every movie he has been in, but he is not the Bond type.  Walken never strikes me as a fast moving action stare that the Bond is.  I think his talents would be much better suited to being an evil villain in one of the Bond movies...that would be great, but he could not play Bond.
Without death there is no life

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 04:33:35 PM »
Part of what I like about Walken is that he would playBond a little slower--going back to the "Bond is a spy" idea rather than the "Bond is an action star" that the series has turned into. I admit that it's still a very out-there casting idea, but I have seen the vision, and I must now spread the good word.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Legion

• Level 9
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 05:03:58 PM »
well then by all means Preach on brother Preach on.
Without death there is no life

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 05:16:41 PM »
I saw one of the sean connery bond films (one where he was in japan) and it's sheer stupidity nearly destroyed my mind.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 05:31:33 PM »
so that's what did it

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 08:15:26 PM »
Is this the "insult the person above you thread"?

"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 09:38:48 PM »
I saw one of the sean connery bond films (one where he was in japan) and it's sheer stupidity nearly destroyed my mind.

It was "Diamonds are Forever," I'll wager.
- Sting

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 09:44:15 PM »
You are WRONG, WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Roger Moore was the best bond. Sean Connery was the second best. Timothy Daltan was the biggest mistake in a Bond film.

Diamonds are Forever is excellent. Moonraker is excellent. The World is not Enough is excellent. Licence to kill is the least interesting peice of trash ever to call itself a bond movie. Tomorrow never dies was only ok.

My opinions are obviously right. If you disagree, you are quite clearly wrong.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 09:45:20 PM »
I'd suggest Bale, but he just doesn't do the right kind of characters. Bale does tormented characters, and Bond's only moments of torment occur over whether or not to attach a union jack to his top secret stealth vehicles.

Bale would have been on our list, most definitely, but it is our opinion that once you've played one iconic character, such as "Btaman," it's too much to take on two of them. Harrison Ford is of course the exception, but he made Indiana Jones and Han Solo into icons, rather than stepping into the shows of already inconic haracters known worldwide.

Bond does experience more torment in the Ian Fleming novels, and in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service," when his wife is killed (though  it's hard to tell with George Lazenby's miserable acting.). There is also a tormented edge to Timothy Dalton's performance in "Liscene to Kill," where he is out to avenge the attack on his firend, Felix Leiter. And even Peirce Brosnan is "GoldenEye" is driven by the guilt of believing that he was responsible for the death of 006, who of course turns out to be alive and the villain of the peice.

Still, for the most part, looking at the movies as a whole, your amusing comment still rings true.
- Sting