Author Topic: Fall 2005 TV Season  (Read 2756 times)

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Fall 2005 TV Season
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 06:58:52 PM »
Yeah, my husband suffers from that a little as well (at least when he pulls himself away from watching long enough to complain that it's a girly show that is a waste of time to watch).

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 04:30:27 PM »
Given that I only ever watch one TV show anymore, I was very pleased to see that it won the Emmy for Best Writing For a Dramatic Series. House won for the episode "Three Stories," and if you haven't seen it I highly encourage you to do so. It's awesome.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 05:28:56 PM »
Need more info, i.e. network, day, and time.

Also a synopsis might be good. Will we be confused if we come in part way through? Is it on its second season?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 05:29:41 PM by Tink »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 07:20:14 PM »
The second season just started last week, and the first season just came out on DVD. There's an element of ongoing story, of course, but nowhere near what you get with Lost and 24 and that sort of thing--if you miss one episode or come into the middle, you won't be totally overwhelmed. It's on Fox, and in Utah it's on Wednesdays at 8:00pm.

The basic premise is the same as a lot of shows, really: it's kind of a hospital drama crossed with a forensics show, so there's nothing new in that area. The kicker is with the main character, Dr. House, who is coarse, rude, horrifically insulting, addicted to painkillers, and acted with genius by Hugh Laurie, who takes this insufferable character and makes him incredibly sympathetic. He is one of the world's leading diagnosticians and works at a teaching hospital, and spends most of his time working with three interns/residents trying to "solve" diseases.

Most of the episodes follow a noticable formula, but as I said the reasons to watch are the characters. The episode that won the Emmy, "Three Stories," is actually the one that broke out of the formula: one of the professors is sick, so he gets called in to teach the guy's class. He tells the students about three different patients, all of them complaining of leg pain, but then twists those stories around and plays with chronology, continuity, and belief. It really was a ingenius episode.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2005, 03:13:05 PM »
Sure, it's at the same time as Lost and Veronica Mars. I guess I'll have to pass unless they both start to get boring (or are both in reruns).

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2005, 04:17:27 PM »
I guess that explains why I stopped watching Lost, and never watched Veronica Mars :)

Oh well, at least we have DVD.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2005, 04:36:17 PM »
It used to be that Veronica Mars was on at 8 and Lost at 9, but they moved Lost to 8. But with the power of having an All-in-Wonder video card, I can record one show onto my computer and watch the other show on the TV and then watch the recorded show at 9. It's almost better, really, cause I can skip the commercials of the second show. Ugh, commercials.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 11:50:10 AM »
So speaking of stuff coming out this fall:

http://www.scifi.com/dnd/

At least they didn't make the mistake of releasing this in theaters.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2005, 12:21:37 PM »
So I was wrong: House is on Tuesdays at 8, not Wednesdays. Last night's was pretty good.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2005, 01:08:27 PM »
A day late and a dollar short.