Author Topic: The Legend of Zorro  (Read 2504 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: The Legend of Zorro
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005, 11:27:36 PM »
His nationality was wrong, but no worse than Banderas's--in fact, given Mexico's hatred for Spain, it was probably better. But I've come to forgive that in movies, provided teh character was done well. And Hopkins does almost everything well (the lone exception being Bad Company, but honestly--could anyone have done that well?).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 02:41:26 AM »
I agree. I really like Anthony Hopkins as an actor.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 04:47:59 PM »
His nationality was wrong, but no worse than Banderas's--in fact, given Mexico's hatred for Spain, it was probably better. But I've come to forgive that in movies, provided teh character was done well. And Hopkins does almost everything well (the lone exception being Bad Company, but honestly--could anyone have done that well?).

The other exception being "The Silence of The Lambs," one of the most overrated movies and silliest performances of all time.

Otherwise, I like Hopkins, particularly in "Amistad," and "The Remains of the Day."
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 07:18:45 PM by Patrick_Gibbs »
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 05:37:28 PM »
If you don't like Silence of the Lambs, then we have no common ground on which to speak. That's one of my all-time favorite movies.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Patrick Gibbs

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 04:15:56 PM »
If you don't like Silence of the Lambs, then we have no common ground on which to speak. That's one of my all-time favorite movies.

I feel the need to clairfy that, while we stand by the statement that Hopkins was miscast as Don Diego, we loved him in the part. He was too Britishm, and way too old for the openning sequence, but he sold it, because he's a terrific actor, and he was badly missed in the second film  (not as badly as writers Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio, though.).

Miscasting does not automatically indicate a bad performance - some actors rise above it so brilliantly that they make you forget what a strange choice it was. Sean Connery never should have been cast as Marko Ramius in "Red October," but I would have it any other way. Interestingly enough, the part of Don Diego in "mask of Zorro" was written for Connery - idefintely think Hopkins  made a great  as an Indiana Jones style hero in "Robin Hood," he just was completely out of place as an Englishman.

As for "Lambs" - we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm gonig to stop discussing that movie with people. It's kind of like Skar and "Pearl Harbor" or other war films - it hits too close to home (I won't elaborate how.). I have a big problem with serial killer movies, because they either scare the hell out of me (as did Buffalo Bob) or offend me with their cartoonish campiness (as did Hannibal Lecter.). But film appreciation is subjective, and to each his own.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2005, 07:25:11 PM »
Fair enough. But I will reserve the right to cast you quizzical glances in the hallway, should I ever chance to pass by you while walking down one.