Author Topic: Superman Returns  (Read 4762 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Superman Returns
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2005, 02:35:39 PM »
Our bibles are more interesting than yours, I guess.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2005, 02:48:26 PM »
only he has xray vison and heat ray eyes...

And Jesus didn't?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2005, 03:29:53 PM »
Anyone else catch the overly christian themes of superman himself? The character is a rewrite of Jesus, basically. :P

Ya the creators of Superman were Jewish and the name Kal-El mean "god" more or less.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2005, 10:29:26 PM »
"El" means "God".  I don't know what "kal" means.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2005, 11:43:58 PM »
kal mean coal

Superman's name on his home planet of Krypton, Kal-El, bares a strong resemblance to the Hebrew transliteration meaning "all that God is" .
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 11:44:23 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2005, 01:30:26 AM »
Saw the teaser at Harry Potter, and we were very happy with what we saw. It was NOT dark (yay!) and Superman LOOKED like Superman. The music was great too, ha ha... Made me want to see this movie right away.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2005, 03:27:33 PM »
Yeah, I think that was husband's favorite part about seeing HP4. He's been frustrated because they keep saying they're going to make a superman movie, but then they don't. So now he knows it'll be coming out.

I thought one thing was interesting. I am not an avid fan of superman; I like superman, but I've never been a comics buff and I didn't watch "hero" cartoons much as a kid (I little spiderman, a little batman, but that's all) and so I don't know how Jor-el's character is traditionally portrayed, but I thought it was interesting that his character is exactly opposite of what we've seen in Smallville--that he wants Kal-el to help the human race and be good, where as in Smallville, Jor-el wants him to rule over the human race and kill them if he has to. So anyway, interesting.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2005, 03:30:42 PM »
Go out and see the Christopher Reeve movie you heathen.

Fangirl

• Level 2
  • Join the Dark Side - We have cookies!
    • View Profile
    • The Smith Geeks
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2005, 09:05:06 PM »

I thought one thing was interesting. I am not an avid fan of superman; I like superman, but I've never been a comics buff and I didn't watch "hero" cartoons much as a kid (I little spiderman, a little batman, but that's all) and so I don't know how Jor-el's character is traditionally portrayed, but I thought it was interesting that his character is exactly opposite of what we've seen in Smallville--that he wants Kal-el to help the human race and be good, where as in Smallville, Jor-el wants him to rule over the human race and kill them if he has to. So anyway, interesting.

From what my way-too-into-Superman friend has told me, Jor-El isn't supposed to be a complete jerk like they portray him in "Smallville".  (Personally, I don't care - I watch "Smallville" for Michael Rosenbaum *drools*.)

As for Kal-El Coppola ... he'll be at the therapist with Apple Paltrow and Phinnaeus (however the heck you spell it) Roberts (seriously ... Phinnaeus?  What was Julia Roberts thinking??), and Audio Science.  *resists hijacking thread with astonishment over what celebrities shackle their kids with*

Either way, I'm sure I'll be going to the movie ... but that costume is something else.  And not "something else" in a good way.
"The Sith can throw lightning from their fingertips; this makes any one of them a Darth and stormy knight."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2005, 11:00:05 AM »
From what my way-too-into-Superman friend has told me, Jor-El isn't supposed to be a complete jerk like they portray him in "Smallville".

Metropolis isn't supposed to be in Kansas, either. But neither of those facts matter in the slightest. But that's a subject for another Page 33.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2005, 06:39:01 AM »
Clark only thought at first that Jor-El wanted him to conquor the world because he misread the message.  They only do dumb stuff like that to try suprising people who already know the story I suppose.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2005, 01:11:21 PM »
There was a post here, however I found out the story was BS... so I removed it :D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 02:00:15 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!