Author Topic: review: Munich  (Read 1221 times)

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
Re: review: Munich
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 04:46:06 PM »
Kudos to the Directors Guild of America for giving Spielberg a well-deserved award nomination for this film (I'm also glad to see them recognize George Clooney and Paul Haggis for their films).
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 08:53:13 AM »
I would like to see it, but wont due to the rating reasons.

Also I've heard some rumblings about the movie being very inaccurate historically and the author of the book this movie is based off of being very anti-Israel.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 09:16:24 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 01:04:22 PM »
I want to see it. I also want to see about 9 other films out or almost out, including Jarhead which comes out in a couple days here.

Damn cinemas and their overly large number of good films.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 01:05:01 PM »
I would like to see it, but wont due to the rating reasons.

Also I've heard some rumblings about the movie being very inaccurate historically and the author of the book this movie is based off of being very anti-Israel.

The historical accuracy is hard to determine, considering it's based on classified information, but yes, there has been some dispute, which is why Spielberg makes it clear the film is "Inspired" by real events. However, some of the complaints about historical accuracy come for a Black September terrorist who is merely upset that he wasn't consulted, and his complaint is that the film doesn't portray that some of the targets were not directly copnnected to the Munich massacre. This is complete ignorance on his part, because the film confronts that issue head on.

As for the anti-Isreal thing, that is being commonly repeated, but the film is simply not anti-Israel. It's merely fair and balanced.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting