Author Topic: The Calimari Wrestler (DVD)  (Read 1246 times)

riftalope

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Are you gonna finnish that?
    • View Profile
The Calimari Wrestler (DVD)
« on: December 31, 2005, 04:09:06 AM »
 :o A reincarnated squid's dream to regain his title.

What can I say? I was shocked to see this off-beat idea turn out to have a real plot! It just starts with the squid punking on the new champion pro wrestler and goes from there into a Japanese soap in the entertainment world. And just when you think it's over a plot twist hits you! Actually it hits our hero. But I won't give away too much plot. It's like when Alien opened- if I tell you anything it will ruin it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428662/

Goofy, bizarre, yet surprisingly coherent, "The Calamari Wrestler" veils sharp social commentary with irreverent humor and corny romance. The production values are erratic, the acting barely adequate, and the effects more cheesy than special — somewhere between "The Muppets" and "Godzilla" — but the film possesses a good-natured charm. — Jeannette Catsoulis, The New York Times
http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=318957
Pick up the Zen. Let it pull you faster to your point of balance. Once in balance, see the Zen all around you. Pick up the Zen. -Heropa, Zen and the Art of Grav-engine Recofiguration.

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
Re: The Calimari Wrestler (DVD)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 01:47:22 AM »
i saw this movie at hollywood video my last perusal through the new releases.  It looked way to B-movie for my taste.  I didn't pick it up.
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

riftalope

• Level 2
  • Are you gonna finnish that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 05:16:30 AM »
 :o Oh GOD is it ever a B-movie!!

If you do your Godzilla thing without miniatures you've got the look of it. He goes shopping with a traditional woven basket. Everyone's so casual about it in the streets. It's like, "Eh, a giant squid with boots walking through the market. Oh well."
 He gets to being a big shot and wears sunglasses. Regular sized ones you have to spot! It's a hoot! And the plot is so serious it's funny!
Pick up the Zen. Let it pull you faster to your point of balance. Once in balance, see the Zen all around you. Pick up the Zen. -Heropa, Zen and the Art of Grav-engine Recofiguration.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 10:30:58 PM »
Riftalope, please tell me you spelled "finnish" that way on purpose.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes