Author Topic: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe  (Read 13516 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2007, 12:34:14 AM »
Do you remember where you read/heard this?  I know in the Letters book he mentions he dabbled with a story set after LotR where kids played at being in Orc cults and such, but he stopped because he basically didn't think there was anything more to tell in that world.

In volume 12 of the History of Middle Earth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Peoples_of_Middle-earth
"The New Shadow - An incomplete sequel (approximately 30 pages) to The Lord of the Rings that Tolkien quickly abandoned, set in the time of Eldarion, Aragorn's son."

One of the few History of Middle Earth books I've read.

That was the one with the kids playing as Orcs. I've read it. I don't remember anything relating to a Nazgul - it really was very short. Bear in mind that Tolkien spends so much time describing stuff it takes him forever to move the plot along...
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2007, 11:14:15 PM »
That was the one with the kids playing as Orcs. I've read it. I don't remember anything relating to a Nazgul - it really was very short. Bear in mind that Tolkien spends so much time describing stuff it takes him forever to move the plot along...

I may be mixing up the volume and the story.  I just remember the commentary on a story saying that Tolkien was considering a story with the Lord of the Nazgul as the villian.  In LotR it doesn't say much about what happened to the Nazgul and the power of their rings.  The three Elven rings lost power but I don't remember anything about the human and dwarf rings.

This goes back to childhood when I so very much wanted more Chronicles of Narnia or stories about Hobbits, Ents, Elves and Dwarves.  A few years later the Sword of Shannara was published and since then dozens of Tolkien knock offs.  None of them as satisfying as the original.

Hm . . . I'm surprised they didn't do Shannara instead of Eragon.

If they do all 7 of Narnia and they perform as well as LWW will they move on to Lewis's space trilogy?  And what would the rating be for Perelandria?

. . . I'd better stop.  This is becoming a stream of consciousness post.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2007, 03:01:12 PM »
honestly, I wouldn't be very interested in seeing a movie of his "space trilogy"

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2007, 07:52:34 AM »
They are probably going to make a Shannara movie, they are talking about it on Brook's website I think (like guessing what book they'll do, etc).  Also heard they were thinking about doing Magic Kingdom For Sale, I think someone bought the rights to do it, but I haven't heard anything else since.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2007, 07:01:51 PM »
Magic Kingdom for Sale would actually make quite a good movie, I think. (The rest of the series is utterly forgettable though so hopefully they don't want sequels.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2007, 10:53:21 PM »
They definitely want sequels, because Harry Potter and LotR had sequels. The flurry of Fantasy book-to-movie conversions right now has nothing to do with making good movies and everything to do with making lucrative franchises (in my grumpy opinion). Studios want big stories that will pull in the same kind of yearly hype that LotR had.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2007, 10:55:34 PM »
I believe Brooks sold the rights to a Shannara movie once before, but they changed the book so much that he pulled the plug.  So I am guessing that he wouldn't let them make a bad Shannara movie.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2007, 11:26:03 PM »
Thank the heavens for that! How were they changing it? Did they make Allanon this soft-hearted sorcerer or something?
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2007, 12:39:53 PM »
I don't think there was any specific details, at least that I remember.  But I think they were focusing a lot on the post-apocalyptic stuff and less on the actual story/characters.

lehea

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2007, 07:57:26 PM »
why are we discussing LotR and Shannara in a Narnia thread? ~shifty eyes~
weee!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2007, 08:21:11 PM »
because we allow our conversations to evolve here. Which is also why we, in contrast with many other sites, discourage thread resurrection. It makes more sense to start a new conversation on a subject when the previous conversation had stopped being about it before it died.