Author Topic: article: New Year of Movies  (Read 4265 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: article: New Year of Movies
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 02:22:54 PM »
Which character did she play?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 03:25:59 PM »
Briseis, that chick Achilles went ga-ga over for no apparent reason.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 03:26:48 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 01:31:48 AM »
One movie that I just realized we left out is Sofia Coppola's "Marie Antoinette," with Kirsten Dunst. That's one I am very curious about.

I think it's strange because the trailer had music as if it was some teenie bopper movie, and the scenes seemed also to be trying to appeal to teenage girls, showing all sorts of parties and clothes and excitement. Which is just weird to me. History is not the usual fair of a teen girl movie.

I may see it just because I'd really like to see Kirsten Dunst get her head cut off (not a fan). Oh, I hope I didn't ruin the ending for anyone. If I did, I apologize for your severe lack of history knowledge.  ;D

There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 09:24:06 AM »
Titanic is the biggest money making movie EVER, and I would argue that a huge portion of those proceeds came from teen/pre-teen girls. It was an historical movie. So it's hardly unprecedented.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 09:50:42 AM »
I just realized that the Gibbs left of the Pink Panther, that's on my list too see, and I know I'll like it more then I did Kong.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 12:26:00 PM »
You make me weep for the future.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 12:33:21 PM »
He makes me weep for the present some times. He's good at that.

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 05:25:51 PM »
I just realized that the Gibbs left of the Pink Panther, that's on my list too see, and I know I'll like it more then I did Kong.

As much as I love Steve Martin, the buzz on "Pink Panther" is so bad I expect it to be among the worst films of the year. There's a reason it was yanked for prime season to the middle of nowhere (February, I believe): That usaully indicates that the studio smells disaster.

Of course, as I mentioned before, I love Martin, so it may turn out okay. I'll probably see it.  But I really consider "Pink Panther" a stale  2005 left over, so i didn't think it belonged on the list.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 06:33:30 PM by Paul_Gibbs »
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 05:31:34 PM »
Steve Martin is a source of consternation for me. On the one hand, he's done some absolutely BRILLIANT movies (LA Story, The Man with Two Brains, the Jerk), but on the other, some of his stuff just hasn't worked out. My gut tells me that Pink Panther is one that won't work out.

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2006, 05:51:14 PM »
Steve Martin is a source of consternation for me. On the one hand, he's done some absolutely BRILLIANT movies (LA Story, The Man with Two Brains, the Jerk), but on the other, some of his stuff just hasn't worked out. My gut tells me that Pink Panther is one that won't work out.

Exactly. The only thing that makes me hold out a TINY sliver of hope is that he shares screenwriting credit. Some of Martin's writing, such as his novel "The Pleasure of my Company", is truly brillaint. But the same can't be said of every film he makes.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 06:40:03 PM »
There are a lot of actors who mix good films with quick and dirty moneymakers--something to keep busy and pay the rent in between the real jobs. I look at Martin that way, though lately it seems like the cheapos have been coming a lot more often than the good stuff. I suspect that Pink Panther is a cheapo.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2006, 07:53:04 PM »
Cheapo, indeed. I find myself grimacing or smirking rather than laughing at the trailer every time I see it. blech. Same thing goes for the Shaggy Dog remake. It looks so incredibly lame gag-happy and boring. Too bad. I remember liking the early ones--of course, I was a youngster at the time...

I wonder what everyone thinks or knows of "The Fountain" with Hugh Jackman? I'm quite intrigued by the trailer, esp. because it looks like the film has a distinctly fantastic air to it. I just happened upon it while I was at Apple's Quicktime site. Looks quite visually seductive anyway.  
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2006, 02:47:55 PM »
Okay, people are taking shots at "King Kong" and Kirsten Dunst.  Stop the world, I want to get off.

I think Kirsten has proven to be a versatile and engaging actress that has grown over the years and given great perfromances both as a child and an adult. WHile I agree that the trailer for "Marie Antionette" does have a tenny bopper element, that intrigues me. The bottom line is that Sophia and Kirsten did great wotk together on "The virgin Suicides," and I'm glad they are working together again.

As for "Kong" Vs. "Pink Panther" . . . oh sweet moses. I . . . I . . .  I have to lie down.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2006, 10:56:23 PM »
Cheapo, indeed. I find myself grimacing or smirking rather than laughing at the trailer every time I see it. blech. Same thing goes for the Shaggy Dog remake. It looks so incredibly lame gag-happy and boring. Too bad. I remember liking the early ones--of course, I was a youngster at the time...

I wonder what everyone thinks or knows of "The Fountain" with Hugh Jackman? I'm quite intrigued by the trailer, esp. because it looks like the film has a distinctly fantastic air to it. I just happened upon it while I was at Apple's Quicktime site. Looks quite visually seductive anyway.  

I have not seen the trailer, but "The Fountain" was an oversite. I misundertsood and thought it was  platformed 2005 release. it is not. Had I known that, it would been included in the article. My mistake.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 10:56:40 PM by Paul_Gibbs »

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2006, 01:29:32 PM »
By all means, everyone, any movies of interest that we left out of the article, bring them up on the boards so we can all hear about them.  

The article was merely a highlights list of some of the movies that we had found interesting on some level, and "Young Hannibal," that are scheduled for release this year. Obviously, it does not include every single movie that will be released in 2006.

"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting