Author Topic: review: The New World  (Read 2269 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: review: The New World
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 03:28:48 PM »
Absolutely hilarious throughout, though this was my favorite line: "Amazingly, he is able to teach her English without the help of a magical tree."

I say that from now on we only get reviews of bad movies, because they're way more fun to read.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 05:41:40 PM »
I won't be watching this movie, but I wouldn't miss the review for the world. Four stars!
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 06:30:47 PM »
haha. Yeah, I had a feeling this movie wouldn't be anything to smile about unless you were making fun of it. But I have to say I nearly had a heart attack when I read "the kind that the late Harrison Ford used to play." I thought, What? Noooo! Harrison Ford's not dead, right? They just mean "late" like the part of his career or something. Phew. I'm glad "late" didn't mean pushing up daisies in this case.

What cracked me up the most was this sarcastic gem: "leaving instruction that Pocahontas be told that he drowned, which apparently is the thing to do when you get a good job offer and have to leave behind your prepubescent girlfriend." LOL. Genuis.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 03:04:35 AM »
Growing up, Harrison Ford was my acting idol. After seeing "Hollywood Homicide" and some of the other career choices he's made lately, it's easier to think of him as dead.  We will continue to refer to him as "the late Harrison Ford" until he cinematically rises from his celluloid grave.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 12:32:49 PM »
Ah, yes, I -do- agree with you on his cinematic decline. I opted out of seeing HH because I'd pretty much figured it was more of the same "new" Harrison that I don't care for. :( *sigh*
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 10:41:50 PM »
When's the Firewall review?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 02:11:05 AM »
When's the Firewall review?

We were kind of thinking it would be sometime after we have seen the film, roughly.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 02:27:47 AM »
I assure you that I did in no way expect you to review said film at any time prior to its appearance before your optic organs.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 02:18:26 PM »
Im interested in seeing this, but not because of the plot, I love Maliks Cinimatograhy which is usually stunning. Im thinking that this may be good for a rental though now after the review.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 04:28:01 PM »
Im interested in seeing this, but not because of the plot, I love Maliks Cinimatograhy which is usually stunning. Im thinking that this may be good for a rental though now after the review.

Hard to say. If you want to see it for the cinematography, the theater is the best place to truly appreciate that, and I grant you that is very good, though personally I thought the cinematography in "Memoirs of a Gesiha" completely buried it in terms of visual splendor.

In the end, If you are a big fan of Malick's impressive visual style, it might be worth you're time - just don't expect much.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 08:49:29 PM »
I agree, if you want to appreciate Malick's cinematography, the big screen is the best way. And there is no denying that "The New World" includes moments of superb visual poetry - it's simply prententious and lacks narrative cohesion.

This is really what we meant we called Malick more of a film school professor than a director. If you want to study the visual techniques of filmmaking, Malick's among the best. He can paint with all the colors of the wind: he just can't tell a story.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 09:05:36 AM »
I was interested in the fact that he used a handheld camera and 360  degree shooting with actors given huge freedom of movement (which is never ever done). Also who did the score and is it any good? Thin Red Line was blessed with a great score.

Malick has plusses and minuses, and I accept that, he managed to take and confuse the plot of Thin Red Line beyond comprehension, dropping and adding characters at will and rearranging scenes to fit his vision. Visually though the movie was stunning, with vibrent greens and blues, sharp contrasts and experiments with light,.

I particularly like his use of the natural world in scenes in a realistic way, and almost as a participant instead of scenery or backdrop.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 11:54:51 AM »
Malick uses all of those techniques you mentioned to strong visual effect. The score is by James Horner, one of my personal favorites. It's pretty good, but some of it just seems to be his "Braveheart" score slightly paraphrased.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 01:13:20 PM »
Tangent: I always loved the fact that in Braveheart, the battle of Stirling bridge didn't have a bridge.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch