Author Topic: Harry Potter 4 -- The Goblet of Fire  (Read 14986 times)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter 4 -- The Goblet of Fire
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2005, 11:01:51 PM »
Lightning, you really need to read the book.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2005, 12:59:38 AM »
Yes. It was clearer in the books. Harry really thought that Fleur's sister would die if he didn't get her back within the hour. He took the rhyme from the merpeople literally, and that was why even though he was the first to reach the prisoners he was the last to leave. Hermione chides him for taking the rhyme literally--she says something like "You didn't think Dumbledore would let us die, did you?"--but Harry wasn't really thinking rationally. So it was a blunder--but a noble one. They kind of allude to that in the movie--they talk about his "moral fiber" and such. But, because it was a movie and we weren't in Harry's mind like in the book, you couldn't know without having read the book what Harry was thinking--that Fleur's sister would have died if he didn't save her.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2005, 09:22:28 AM »
If it was me, I'd put the link to the review in the spoiler thread. Since reviews to some people are spoilers and since the movie reviews we have had on this site often lead to discussions with spoilers. But I'm not an admin, just a lowly little Chimera.  ;)

People who think that reviews are spoilers shouldn't click on links that are labeled as reviews, should they? I can't be held accountable for the lack of self control of other people.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2005, 03:19:16 PM »
I have yet to see the movie, but book 4 was by far my favorite. Book 5 was by far my least favorite--it was downright dull, and full of useless padding. That's the movie I'm most looking forward to, because chopping out all the junk can only make it better.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2005, 03:20:54 PM »
I saw it and liked it. It was rushed and I feel sorry for anyone who watched it without reading the book, but I think they did pretty good at cutting it down for time. I think that Mad Eye Moody's character was portrayed well, but my husband (who's only read book 1 and seen the movies) didn't make the connection of the polyjuice potion and what they were alluding to (probably not the director's fault, but still, it was good I was there to explain). I would've liked more time on the graveyard scene, though.

Also, little thing: in the review it says the movie is PG, but it's PG-13.

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2005, 06:42:08 PM »
Lightning, you really need to read the book.

Yes. It was clearer in the books.

sorry, I read it, but only around the time the book came out, so I don't remember very much.

*now, to salvage what's left of my whole argument about harry saving that girl*

Still though, it wasn't explained in the movie and when you add that to quite a few other things, they can seem sloppily put together and unexplained

Those sort of things only appear when you really think about them though, and overall, it was definately a good movie

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2005, 01:40:04 AM »
I'm watching an A&E special on the movie--which no one should watch unless they have seen the movie, because it's giving away all sorts of stuff--but they are showing some of the special effects and how they created scenes, etc. I didn't even think of all the time that Harry/Daniel Radcliffe had to spend in a water tank to film the lake scenes. You forget stuff like that, when you're caught up in the magic of the movie. And I have to say I also admire the actors for doing so much green screen work. They have to completely imagine what the setting will look like because it will be added in later on computer.

Anyway. Just contemplating the life of an actor on a movie like HP4.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2005, 09:48:56 AM »
I definitely liked the third one better.

This statement worries me, because, in my opinion, the third was the least well done of the series.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2005, 12:10:56 PM »

This statement worries me, because, in my opinion, the third was the least well done of the series.

Um...why should it worry you which Harry Potter movie I think is best?

Ugh, I don't want to even start. There are so many things I could say on this topic, but it's just going to get me worked up for no benefit.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 12:20:15 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2005, 12:53:16 PM »
Take your ritalin and/or prozac, ookla, you're getting all worked up and taking offense when absolutely none was intended at all. It worries me because I want to like the new one, and if the third was better, than this one = teh suck.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2005, 03:35:26 PM »
I realized later that that's what you might have meant, and I apologize for not seeing that at first, though my reading of your words is a semantically valid one. I will ask you to apologize for this personal attack, however. Please do so.

If you check the tomatometer, you'll see that the third movie is more universally liked than the first two, and marginally rated higher than the fourth. I didn't specify in my post that I think the third movie is way better than the first two, so I'll say so now. The third movie is the best.

So since you disagree with me on my opinion of the first 3 movies, you may rest assured that it's entirely likely you'll disagree with me about the 4th movie as well and go see it without any qualms stemming from my comments.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 03:40:37 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2005, 03:56:31 PM »
It worries me because I want to like the new one, and if the third was better, than this one = teh suck.

K, I'm not trying to take sides at all here. Just as an aside to e, personally I also thought #3 was the worst one out of all of them yet that #4 was the best. Actually, GOF really restored my faith that HP can be done well on screen. :D So ...have no fear, be of good cheer! I think you'll like #4.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Baba_Yaga

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2005, 01:30:20 AM »
Wow, that surprises me to hear others say that they felt #3 was the worst.  It was one of my favorites.  I know that opinions are subjective, but I felt the third film was the first to capture some of the feelings that made the characters stand out.  I enjoyed the first two because they visually personified the world I loved reading about.  Really though, it wasn't until three that I felt some of the background of the characters themselves was given any justice in the films.

Yes, it was overacted at times, but I think I liked the third film best.  I really enjoyed four, but I still feel it was rushed.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2005, 06:48:29 AM »
Well, I've finally seen the fourth film. I liked it, though I realized it does have a much more depressing ending.

I also think that it is rather rushed. Considering the movies length, the hurry isn't so bad.

It's not a visually strong as the third movie. Azkaban made great use of visual symbols and metaphores for the themes in the book. Making it more of a film and less of a book with pictures.

Goblet of Fire didn't really go for visual impact, though it has its moments.

As far as story preference, I prefer Azkaban over Goblet of Fire. I see Goblet of Fire as being the most banal of the series, with the possible exception of the first book.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2005, 11:53:10 PM »
i liked this movie a lot.  I haven't read the books, but i had my roommate tell me basically what happens in them.  So yes i know what happens in the latest one,  "yay, snape!!(my fav. character)".  Anyway, i didn't remember the poly juice so that was a surprise, kind of.  I knew something was up when he took him to his room at the end.  Also the beginning of the movie, with world cup was pretty cool.  I also think that hermione is cute (yes I know her age, but can't i think she is cute without being a perv or a pedafile!), so i thought the dance scene was pretty good, and funny for ron, in that hermione looked good all dressed up.  

Overall i thought the movie was great and i can't wait for the next one.  I also can't wait for more jeremy irons goodness as old voldy!  I did see the A&E thing after i got home, what a coincidence, and it was pretty cool not having to wait for a dvd to see behind the scenes.  
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!