Author Topic: Oscars  (Read 3264 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Oscars
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 08:10:18 PM »
The lack of a nomination for the final installment in the "Star Wars" saga was inexcusable,

I was hugely unimpressed with the special effects in Episode 3. Great, shiney things. I'm impressed when I see real looking CGI, not when I see shiny-obviously-fake CGI.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 04:15:21 PM »
I think it's pretty silly to claim that rap songs don't count as songs

By the by, I was just being facetious about echoing the Gibbs' brothers' comments. Sure, I'm not fond of Rap, but I wouldn't seriously argue that Rap isn't a form of (whacked-out) music. ;)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 05:03:53 PM »
I mostly responding to the Gibbs, but don't worry, I was casting curt glances in your direction as well. :)
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 02:19:11 AM »
I mostly responding to the Gibbs, but don't worry, I was casting curt glances in your direction as well. :)

Yeah, yeah. I know. I'm getting plenty of crap about my opinion on this one, and I feel the need to point out that seperate categories was not a serious suggestion -it was exaggeration for comic effect.  

But I do not remotely believe that "Lose Yourself" was a great song, even by rap standards. It was kind of catchy, and got stuck in my head, but not in a good way, and I was more impressed with Will Smith's "Wild Wild West" rap.

"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 02:28:44 AM »
Lose Yourself is an excellent rap song. The beat is hard and interesting and relatively complex. The ryhmes have a lot of rythm and are clever. He tells a story that we can relate to and is emotive in the telling. I havn't heard Wild West so I can't comment.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 02:31:28 AM »

I was hugely unimpressed with the special effects in Episode 3. Great, shiney things. I'm impressed when I see real looking CGI, not when I see shiny-obviously-fake CGI.

The openning sequence of the ships going into battle in "Revenge of The Sith" was, in my opinion, one of the greatest FX sequences ever, and Yoda was awesome. I'll admit that not all of the effects were perfect, though there was nothing in the realm of those awful watermelon aardvark's that Anakin rides in "Attack of The Clones" (the single worst FX shot in the Star Wars saga.). I still think it was worthy of a nod, though again, "Kong" was obviously the choice to win.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 08:50:56 AM »
The openning scene was a video game. I was expecting a HUD to appear. It didn't look real at all and was too confusing to understand why I should care. The best comparison is the battle over Endor - the ship types were very easy to differenciate, it moved fast and was exciting but I could still see the overall battle and the ships looked like real ships, that had been used. Not so for the ones in Ep 3.

Not worthy of a nod.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 09:10:10 AM »
though there was nothing in the realm of those awful watermelon aardvark's that Anakin rides in "Attack of The Clones" (the single worst FX shot in the Star Wars saga.).

They were more like eggs than melons. and more like mammal fleas than aardvarks

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2006, 08:33:43 PM »

I still think it was worthy of a nod, though again, "Kong" was obviously the choice to win.

I dono, you know how academy voters like to award the last movie in a series by voting for the series it self and not the movie.  SW EP3, if nominated, probably would have won due to all the people voting in that category rewarding Star Wars itself and not necessarily ep3.

As for which one was better, ep3 or Kong, that's a hard one to choose.  I don't think EP3 was as video gamey as Ent is saying (attack of the clones defiantly was though) since all 3 prequels have had that every thing's shiny look which I think was done on purpose.  In the original 3 things are run down and give you the feel of how desperate the Rebellion is and how much the Empire has choked the Galaxy.  In the Prequels you have the exact opposite to show how good things were with the Republic and Jedi.

Kong, on the other hand, had great environments and interaction with those environments.   Though Kong himself was quite boring in that regard, sorry I just expect CGI characters to looke that good so there was little wow factor there, plus he only interacted with a few non-cg things.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 08:35:18 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2006, 09:57:35 PM »
I think that even had EpIII been nominated, it wouldn't have won--I just don't see the first three Star Wars movies as deserving even a collective "vote for the series" vote, and I would have been surprised if that had happened.  Kong's effects blew EpIII out of the water.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2006, 11:21:15 AM »
I don't think that SW would have won for different reasons: I think that the academy is hardly unbiased, and the simple fact that it's Star Wars would have doomed it.

This is why I don't care if a movie wins or not.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2006, 11:44:38 AM »
I agree with Ent about the SFX in Ep III. Sub par, I though the old Models looked better than 90% of the CG graphics Lucas tacked on.

IMHO CG took the Human Element out of the Series.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2006, 12:27:47 AM »
I just saw on of the old stars wars movies and the old models do look a lot better than most of the CG graphics in Ep. III. The CG graphics are too clean, shiny and symetric to look real. The models had chips and dents and other things to make them look more realistic.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.