Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Oscars
« on: March 05, 2006, 09:34:11 PM »
Yay Wallace and Grommett!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Oscars
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 07:33:15 AM »
Didn't bother watching and now that everyone on TV is talking about how bad it was, no thanks to John Stewards apparently horrible hosting job, I'm glad I didn't watch.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 07:33:54 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 08:45:57 AM »
John Stewart didn't do a bad job, but he could have been a lot better. The biggest problem is just that the writing for the Oscars needs to be better. Course, that can be said about most things produced by Hollywood.

But I'm happy about Wallace and Grommett. Course, it was in the only category where any of the nominees (Howl's Moving Castle and Corpse Bride) could have won and I would have been happy.

I'm also pleased that March of the Penguins won.

Also, happy that King Kong and Chronicles of Narnia got some recognition.

I couldn't care less about the rest.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 10:10:43 AM »
John Stewart was fine. It seems like everyone is willing to blame the host for the series of bad movies released this year.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 11:14:36 AM »
I'm surprised by how many complaints there have been about Stewart.  I thought he was great.

I was also pleased by how non-political, relatively-speaking, the night turned out to be -- the five Best Picture awards were all somewhat controversial, and the host is a political commentator, after all.  But although there was a little "Hollywood is the moral compass of the nation" speaching, there wasn't any "Bush is Hitler" activism.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 12:06:43 PM »
I also thought Stewart did a good job.  Very funny, great ad-libs.  Very well done.  I'd like to see him host again.  I really enjoyed the ceremonies last night, especially the fact that there was no one "landslide" winner.  Spread the love.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 01:38:00 PM »
I liked Stewarts comment on the Montage of movies that tackle sensative issues.

" And after these movies were made these issues were never a problem again."

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 01:40:49 PM »
I'm glad Reese Witherspoon won.  I saw Walk The Line on Saturday, and both she and Phoenix did an amazing job.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 02:12:19 PM »
Stewart wasn't fall-down hilarious like people hoped he would be, but that's a good thing--it would have turned into the Jon Stewart Show Featuring Some Incidental Awards, which is not what hosting is about. I thought he did a fine job.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 03:35:46 PM »
I also thought Stewart was dead-on as a host. As a stand-up comedian it would've been a pretty lackluster job, but like Fell said, that's not what being the Oscar host is about. I'd love to see him do it again.

I was also pleased that Crash got picture. I saw it just a couple nights ago, and it's a beautiful, meditative movie about how racial issues are simple, but the people behind them are complicated.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 07:44:52 PM »
I'm happy for Wallace and Grommit. As for the penguins, I'm still miffed that Grizzly Man wasn't even nominated for best documentary. This isn't to say that March of Penguins is bad but "Grizzly Man" is such a good and deep documentary. I don't know why it seems like Hollywood is shunning it.

Also, I'm happy that there was no run-away winning in this years oscars because with the number of political movies, a run-away winner could have been interepreted as if Hollywood was making a political statement.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 03:56:26 PM »
Regarding the Gibbs review, I agree that the song was a travesty -- I wouldn't be surprised if most voters voted for it simply because the name was strange.  (However, I do believe that Lose Yourself deserved the Oscar.  But that's just me.)

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 05:40:18 PM »
"let's have a separate category for Best Rap, so that actual songs can get their due."

lol. Indeed! Of course, that leads to maybe splitting up the Best Song into even more categories and getting an Oscar Grammy thing going on. I guess that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, tho. You could have genre Best Songs and then one overall Best Song. hmm. Perhaps I'm taking this too seriously. Still, I'm -not- impressed with the winning tune this year.

Anyway, I also think the Gibbs' are on to something when they suggest expanding the number of nominees in the visual effects category.

As for Crash, huh. I mean, I didn't hate the film, but although I thought the racial issues were realistic and frightening (for their subtlety as well as overtness), I also felt like much of the plot was too contrived with too many criss-crossing plot lines. Like how the cop winds up saving the woman he intimidated and molested in front of her husband. And so on. Because of this deus ex machina vibe, I had a tough time being swept away by it or impressed with it as a story rather than a scripted film. But I guess I'm definitely in the minority here. (shrug)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 05:41:35 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 05:58:44 PM »
I think it's pretty silly to claim that rap songs don't count as songs, and perhaps over the top to dig on the artists just because you don't like the genre they sing in. I didn't hear this year's song, but Lose Yourself was an excellent song and a worthy winner.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net