Author Topic: Aquamarine  (Read 1950 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Aquamarine
« on: March 26, 2006, 02:11:10 PM »
We went and saw this yesterday. It's a decent cheesy movie for 5th-7th-grade girls. Large sections of it were painful to watch, and it's probably set mermaid movies back at least a decade. I still cried at the end though; a lot of stuff at the end was just done right instead of too-perfect (good call, writers). The critical moment took me totally by surprise, though it shouldn't have, since I swear I've seen that exact twist used before, and it totally fits with the genre this movie really was. Of course there were also parts that made no frickin' sense, and some nauseating creative editing of shopping and magazine-reading scenes.

Bottom line, don't go see it unless you are a mermaid freak or a 10-13-year-old girl.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Aquamarine
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 03:43:50 AM »
Since the last mermaid movie I can remember was Splash, setting the genre back only ten years doesn't seem like very much.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 08:55:19 AM »
no, see, Splash brought Mermaid up to 1984. Since this one sets it back, Mermaid movies are now only up to 1974.
Of course, this assumes that a movie genre can be caught up to something.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 09:25:45 AM »
What about little mermaid?  that would be the inbetween movie.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 09:39:27 AM »
oh yeah. But that was only like 1989 or something like that

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 12:08:59 AM »
Unfortunately, the Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch anime got dropped by ADV before the first DVD came out (they got the tapes in and said "what the heck have we licensed?!"), but at least the manga is coming out from Del Rey in a couple months.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

lehea

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 12:17:29 AM »
I enjoyed this movie, it was cute, warm, and funny.  Then again I am a kid at heart, so I enjoy a lot of different stuff.
weee!