Author Topic: review: Good Night, and Good Luck  (Read 2764 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: review: Good Night, and Good Luck
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 06:49:45 PM »
If you'd like to tailor your reviews to fill Spriggan's needs all you really need to do is comment on the quality of the CGI.  If it's good he'll see it.  If not, he won't.  If the film doesn't use CGI he wonders why anyone bothered to make it.  All it would take is a single sentence.

I wouldn't bother if I were you though.

I just didn't think it was as informative as their past reviews and after rereading it I still think the review is nothing more then a Clooney love fest.  Why I don't like the standard the director or actor is good statement is opinions are different what you may find good I may not, I want to know why it's different so I'm able to make that decision.  But I guess others don't.  Too each his own I guess.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 09:38:28 PM »
This movie has political undertones, but is very defintely not grandstanding. The story is told from a fact based point of view, and while the film is definetly taking sides, it does so without completely dissmissing the other point of view. Toward the end of the film, a major character questions whether he has been on the right side, or whether perhaps McCarthy was right.

You compare this to a film like "The Majestic," which I will  admitt I really liked, but took a very heavy-handed, in your face approach making a hero out of anytone who was accused of anything under the McCarthy regime, and this is really quite fair and balanced. I also really liked the fact that this movie really wasn't about Hollywood blacklisting, which is all most film makers seem to care about when dealing with McCarthy.

Clooney is to be comended for telling a balanced a fair story, which certainly reflects his political beliefs, but does not distort the facts in order to support them.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 09:45:21 PM »
I also really liked the fact that this movie really wasn't about Hollywood blacklisting, which is all most film makers seem to care about when dealing with McCarthy.

I wonder why.

I still cant belive Mccarthy showed up to his interview drunk.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 08:56:23 PM »
I just saw this. It's got much less of the impact that it has for americans (all the talk about 'this great country' tends to make me think about military tactics of the late 18th century, rather than anything else) but I was reminded repeatedly of the recent mohammed cartoons thing.

Also, I loved the films values. It looked great, sounded marvellous, was just the right length (being long enough to satisfy, but not being so long I get bored). A local pub has live jazz, and the jazz in the film was so much better that I'm tempted to try and find a soundtrack for the film.

Very impressed.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 09:18:41 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch