Author Topic: review: Mission: Impossible 3  (Read 2805 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: review: Mission: Impossible 3
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 12:58:47 PM »
I'm glad this is reviewing well, and that it's a combination of the first two MI movies.  The first one is still one of my favorite movies while the second one I think about the same as the reviewer, more fun then it should have been.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

BajczTheDamned

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • You can always trust an dishonest man...
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 09:55:58 PM »
Well, the reviewer sure as heck loved this movie to death. I personally still can't get the awful, tinny taste of War Of The Worlds out of my mouth enough to want to see another Cruise film any time soon, but I'm happy to see another successful spy movie. I'll see it eventually I'm sure. Besides, the MI theme is equal to, if not better than, the Bond theme (argue if you must). Parenthetically, the reviewer in the Detroit Free Press up here thought the movie was vile, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's wrong per usual.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 01:25:23 AM »
Great review. I can't wait to use the phrase "rectal-cranial inversion."
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 01:35:21 AM »
Great review. I can't wait to use the phrase "rectal-cranial inversion."

Get a job working for The Larry H. Miller Group - I guarrantee you'll find the  perfect chance to use it each and every single day.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 01:35:39 AM by Patrick_Gibbs »
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 09:20:36 AM »
I concur that the MI theme is superior to the Bond theme. DOnt' get me wrong, I like the Bond theme, especially if done as a surf guitar, but the MI theme is completely awesome in every way.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 09:50:10 AM »
I concur that the MI theme is superior to the Bond theme. DOnt' get me wrong, I like the Bond theme, especially if done as a surf guitar, but the MI theme is completely awesome in every way.

The M:I theme is catchier than just about anything. Even Kanye West's version in this film is good (though his "Impossible" song is dreadful.).
- Sting

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 06:16:40 PM »
On the strength of this review and Abrams' name, we went and saw it this morning at the Big Newport when we happened to be in the area 10 minutes before the movie started.

It was really good. I haven't thought of any problems to have with it at all, and it's been a loooong time since the last movie I could say that about. Good job--and thank you, Mr. Abrams, for the face disguise machine.

I have one question (spoiler): was the "prayer" said in the car by the woman on his team (Zhang?) just a red herring? Or something to exploit in a sequel? That is something that seriously kept me uneasy until the credits started rolling. If it hadn't been in there, I would have felt a lot more secure at the end...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 06:19:05 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 01:16:07 PM »
[RESPONSE TO SPOILER QUESTION. DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN"T SEEN THE MOVIE!

8)  8)   8)  8)  8)  8)   8)  8)  8)   8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)   8)

8)  8)  8)   8)  8)  8)  8)   8)  8)   8)  8)  8)   8)   8)   8)   8

I don't think it was either - well, maybe a bit of a red herrring. I think it was really just a nice little character moment, telling us a little about who she was, and then giving Declan an opening to make a move - get things all nice and calm and then BOOM!  

One of my favorite moments in the film. We've seen Ethan's P.O.V. of a break in twice before - I liked this different appraoch.

I've seen this twice already, and I'm going again tomorrow. What a great peice of summer fun.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 01:17:12 PM by Patrick_Gibbs »
- Sting

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 05:08:49 PM »
Just saw this.

Rabbits foot reminded me of the briefcase from Ronin.

Shaun of the dead as a computer tech? :D

The plot wasn't quite as complex as it could have been; next to Ronin and MI:1 it was fairly thin. Still, the twists were well placed and had quite good shock value.

The bridge scene was great. Especially as it came right after a big reveal.

Excellent acting by Tom Cruise; you really saw his characters pain in certain scenes.

The bit in Rome with Cruise and the Irishman having a mock argument in Italian was funny.

I loved the team aspects; got a real feel for each of them being real people. Each character was fleshed out in an impressive yet subtle (no info-dumps) manner.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 09:22:53 PM »
Ok, lets start a spoiler thread since some people are starting to discuss scenes in depth.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 10:08:55 PM »
Hows this for you?

From Scifi-wire

Hollywood columnist Nikki Finke wrote on her blog that she had confirmed that individuals had been buying up blocks of dozens of tickets for Tom Cruise's Mission: Impossible III at Hollywood's ArcLight Theater, near the Church of Scientology Celebrity Center, after unconfirmed rumors of large group sales by church adherents; nevertheless, the film debuted with disappointing sales over the May 5 weekend.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 09:09:28 AM »
/me giggles.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 03:10:53 PM »
Saw it yesterday and I liked it.

I agree with Ent that Cruise's acting was top notch. I thoroughly enjoyed the action sequences, although I would have liked a little longer breather here and there. All that non-stop suspence left me wrung out at the end. But I quite enjoyed it.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 01:14:39 PM »
Ok, I'll be one to say it, but I really didn't like this movie. It just seemed like it some of the plot elements were just stoked by a fire and thrown on there to keep it from falling off. What happened in the first five minutes should really have happened in the end of the movie.

The whole "explosive" in the head, a tad bit of a cop-out, should of just shot the bug in the head in the first place (holes are much nicer than a brain-dead operative sitting at your feet).

Still don't like Tom Cruise. Maybe he should... retire? Honestly, this guys not had many great movies in the past few years. Sure the plots were fairly good, but Tom Cruise? C'mon people, he's just a proturding moustache away from being some brain-dead actor in L.A.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo