Author Topic: More argument about the best place to live.  (Read 5713 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
More argument about the best place to live.
« on: July 27, 2006, 11:59:04 PM »
Because it causes such a furor among some members (and the boards needs to be more active), I found this article:

The most representative State

To be honest, I'm a little dissapointed that Utah is not considered to be more freakish. I knew places like New York and West Virginia had their freak on, but honestly, I thought Utah would make a better showing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:39:58 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: More argument about the best place to live.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 01:59:33 AM »
Most of the least-typical states tend to come from the Northeast, including Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York.

I find this very interesting, especially because of how I noticed so many people in the Northeast always looked down on the rest of the country in political terms while I lived there. The Northeast is really as much of a cultural bubble as Utah is. This isn't a bad thing--it's still a great place to live. But it certainly isn't Middle America.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 09:15:35 AM »
I don't think this study says much of anything. the lower your score the closer you are to the middle. If you had a state that had higher income, higher rate of college degrees, lower real estate values, and a diverse political outlook, you'd rank really low. So... I'm not sure what, if anything, this study is trying to accomplish.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 09:58:36 AM »
Go Wisconsin!!! Way to be average.

However, I think with a few more factors, Wisconsin would look less normal. Consider:
1) The funny accent (people in Wisconsin tend to elongate their vowels).
2) People in Wisconsin seem to average 300 lbs from their steady diets of brats, cheese and beer. Last time I checked, Wisconsin was one of the fattest states in the Union.
3) Wisconsin cheese is certainly not average.
4) Wisconsin has cooler summers and bitterly cold winters (well below the US average).
5) There is insane worshipping of the Green Bay Packers (signified by the wearing of cheeseheads).
6) Wisconsin has 9,999 lakes (don't mention Minnesota)
7) There are more dairy cows and red barns in Wisconsin then in most states.

Having lived is Wisconsin, I find it interesting that it is the most average state. But it depends are what is being measured. I'm not supprised that the Northeast, Utah and California are considered less typical than the midwest. Besides, people in the midwest are very nice.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 10:06:29 AM »
For those who might need more referrence material on the best places to live:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 10:48:58 AM »
In my sociology classes (and my anthropology, social work, and social research classes), every state is considered to be its own cultural bubble.

However, researchers like the idea of there being a state that approximates the average for the entire U.S. Remember that the average is some point between extremes. So for them the states on low end of the study would be useful in trying to study what the whole might be like. Since it is rarely possible to study the whole, you have to look for average segments to study then generalize to the whole. Also, it's good to point out where your behavioral outliers might be so that you can either ignore them or give them individualized attention.

So the study is useful for researchers who want to get a representative idea about the U.S. without traveling to all 50 states.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 10:53:30 AM »
Another problem is that the state is a semi-artificial border. While there are real distinguishers (the state government), culturally, economically, and politically they are influenced across state borders.

And no one region of hte state will represent the whole either. Viriginia for example. Fairfax County, VA is one of the highest per-capita incomes in the nation. This is certainly non-representative of the rest of the state. Politically and socially, we are much more influenced by DC or Maryland than we are by Richmond.

I would think that researchers would be more interested in smaller community chunks that, while not entirely socially autonomous, would make for more definitive and cohesive chunks.

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 02:01:55 PM »
Posted by: 42 Posted on: Today at 7:48am
In my sociology classes (and my anthropology, social work, and social research classes), every state is considered to be its own cultural bubble.

However, researchers like the idea of there being a state that approximates the average for the entire U.S. Remember that the average is some point between extremes. So for them the states on low end of the study would be useful in trying to study what the whole might be like. Since it is rarely possible to study the whole, you have to look for average segments to study then generalize to the whole. Also, it's good to point out where your behavioral outliers might be so that you can either ignore them or give them individualized attention.

So the study is useful for researchers who want to get a representative idea about the U.S. without traveling to all 50 states.  

Political scientist make a big deal about which state is average. For a long time, New Jersey was the typical state, then Iowa  and so forth. Politicians have paid close attention to this because they erronously assume that if they gear there campaigns towards the political climate of the average state, then the national campaign will be more effective.

So, we'll see how many more political events start occurring in Wisconsin. Until some other state is consider the most average state, I hope to see more pictures of Madison. There is a great convention center in Madison, south of the state capital building on the the shores of lake Menona.

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 11:24:12 AM »
I have writen off the NE pretty much as the neighborhood Snob.  Especialy Boston and NewYork
Alles!!!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 02:11:30 PM »
Now now, don't be knocking the rest of New York just because the City is an a-hole. Now, I'd say out of the entire state Buffalo has got to be one of the friendliest cities. But that's just in the state of New York, I'm not saying the entire US. I'm sure someone will say that such and such a city is friendlier.

Not many people honk their horns, there is no yellow checkered taxis, and if you do see one it is definately out of place. There are multitudes of bars/restaurants/lounges/clubs to go to in the city if you want to have some fun.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 02:39:30 PM »
No, I'm with Oseleon. The NE is the neighborhood snobs. After living in the midwest, where people are much friendlier, it becomes apparent the Northeasterners get a little full of themselves. I get tired of how people in the NE have to tell the rest of the US how deprived it is compared to the NE (particularly those from New York and Boston), even though they've never gone farther west then Pittsburg.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 03:07:53 PM »
+h

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 04:57:21 PM »
Apologies, I did nit diffrentiate between NYC and Upstate...
Upstate = OK
NYC = Snobbery
Alles!!!

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 09:09:56 PM »
I assumed you did. "Why would one list a city(Boston) and a state?" was my reasoning.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Kuntrey_Pilgrum

• Level 4
  • One by one, the penguins stold my sanity....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 11:19:53 PM »
Meanwhile, we of the SE are considered the most hospitable, as well as the stupidest..... I'm sure its just the farmgirl accent thing :P
No Ninja Monkey can stand up to my Penguin Commandos! ATTACK!!!!

"This has to be an indicator of insanity. Not only am I talking to myself, i'm refusing to speak to me!"