Author Topic: review: Happy Feet  (Read 8157 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: review: Happy Feet
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 02:33:40 AM »
I'm still thinking about this. And really, I don't understand. What's so "layered" about the Toy Story movies or Monsters, Inc? they're all straight forward and predictable -- there's very little complex about any of them. What makes the Pixar movies so good is how they treat their subject. The toys don't act like people, they act like toys. The monsters don't act like humans, they act like people. The fish don't act like people, they act like fish. The supers don't act like accountants, they act like people would act if superhero vigilante was a real career.

In Bug's Life the Bugs... well, they don't really act like bugs. They act like people who have funny shapes.

I didn't like Cars for a plethora of reasons. Mostly because I'm supposed to have sympathy for the entire cast for the most pathetic of reasons. There's little reason to like most of them. The underlying elements were of little basic interest for me in the subject material, and the car elements are really superficial. There's conflict where no believable conflict exists.

It's not like I hate Bug's Life, but it's meh at best. and Cars is only a little bit better.  Incredibles was very entertaining. And yeah, it's my favorite. But while your accusation that I only like Incredibles because it's about supers is at once unprovable and ... well, impossible the way you phrased it, I can acknowledge my prejudice. I enjoy watching Incredibles *much* more than either Toy Story, but I can, at the same time, realize that Toy Story was a better film.  Still, Incredibles is pretty solid because of how it deals with its subject matter.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 07:04:11 PM »
I actually haven't seen Cars, and I wasn't including it in any of my statements. Sorry, I should have made that more clear. Also note that when I say "characterization" I mean the way the characters are presented and developed, not the specific things they do.

One of my complaints about Incredibles is that it only existed on one level--it was aimed at an older audience than the other Pixar movies, and younger kids (such as mine) don't really get into it because there's nothing there for them. Monsters Inc., on the other hand, is aimed at young kids, old kids, and adults, and each audience can connect to it on their own level. It includes themes of friendship and fatherhood, and it's one of the most intriguing and well-developed sci-fi premises we've seen in movies for a long time.

Let me make clear, however, that I don't dislike The Incredibles--I just don't think it's as good as most people say it is. It's not the best Pixar movie (that's Toy Story 2) and it's not the best Superhero movie (that's Spider-man 2), and the cantankerous jerk in me can't sit idly by while hearing praise it believes to be unwarranted. Were I to actually rank the Pixar movies it would be:

Toy Story 2
Monsters Inc.
Toy Story
Incredibles
Bug's Life
Finding Nemo

and I haven't seen Cars. And while I'm ranking things, I'll also say that all of the Dreamworks or Fox CG movies, like Shrek and Ice Age, would be lower than Finding Nemo.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 07:09:35 PM »
hrm. well, if we're going to dreamworks, I'd put do this:

Toy Story 2
Incredibles
Monsters Inc and Toy Story (don't make me choose)
Ice Age (one and 2)
Finding Nemo
Cars
Bug's Life
Shrek (never saw 2)
(never saw Shark's Tale)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 07:15:38 PM »
I'd recommend Shrek 2 as the best of the non-Pixars, but if you didn't like Shrek 1 you probably wouldn't like 2 either.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 09:03:23 PM »
I heartily dislike both Shrek 1 and 2, because they're adult movies, full of innuendo and dirty jokes, and marketed as a kid's movie.  Just sayin'.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 09:16:35 PM »
I didn't hate Shrek 1. But I've seen it once. I laughed a couple times. I have just found myself with no desire to really see it again or watch the sequel. A better movie would have at least gotten me to want to borrow it for free from work where it's readily accessible.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 10:53:12 PM »
I love the Shreks, and they are a little crude but nothing worse then most things on Cartoon Network or Nickalodeon, but I don't know where the "Full of innuendo" line came from.  Saw Shrek 2 over Thanksgiving and I'm pressed to think of a single example of that.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 11:57:57 PM »
Admittedly, I've only seen each of them once, so I can't really quote examples.  But I remember, during both, being uncomfortable that all the kids in the room were watching it.  (And yeah, I feel the same way about a lot of Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon's stuff.)
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 04:02:44 AM »
We went to see Happy Feet yesterday and had  a lot of fun. The parts meant to be funny were actually funny. I thought the visual and musical composition was very well done.

I was willing to suspend my disbelief about the singing and dancing penguins, as it could be seen as metaphorical. Until, of course, humans noticed him dancing, which was just ludicrous. The movie was overall ridiculous, but we enjoyed watching it.

(This review was hugely spoiler-ridden, giving away the whole plot, by the way. Glad I didn't read it before I went to see it, so I could at least be surprised when the humans got involved.)

Someone at work went to see The Fountain the other day, and the (early 20s, I assume) woman in line behind her was going to see Happy Feet for the 14th time.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 04:04:24 AM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 04:29:54 AM »
Yes, sorry about the terrible spoilers. They were necessary in being able to explain my issues with the movie. Leaving out that part meant I would have a review that didn't make sense. Fortunately, most people saw it before they read it. Or unfortunately. Whatever.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 06:42:25 AM »

Someone at work went to see The Fountain the other day, and the (early 20s, I assume) woman in line behind her was going to see Happy Feet for the 14th time.

Holy cow.  That's a serious penguin fixation.
~금강산도 식후경~

lehea

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 12:04:51 AM »
Oh my goodness! Happy Feet was SOOOOOOO adorable and funny!  If you have not seen it you must see it! I absolutely LOVED it!  ;D
weee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 08:02:45 PM »
Lehea: One o is plenty, no matter how adorable and funny it may have been.

Getting back to our Pixar discussion earlier in the thread, I finally saw Cars two days ago. It was better than E had led me to beleive, but still one of the lesser storytelling offerings from Pixar. Though it may, to my surprise, have actually surpassed Nemo in the beauty of the animation, which is astonishing--it's about cars, for goodness sake, why and how does it look so good?

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 08:27:46 PM »
The shininess. There's something about shiny chrome that just appeals naturally to the Y chromosome.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2007, 10:12:35 PM »
Neon reflecting off of shiny chrome, specifically.