Author Topic: New Who?!  (Read 2950 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: New Who?!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2006, 10:29:58 PM »

Dr. Who and I have an odd history it goes back 20 years (geez thats just a long time) whats crazier is that the show is 42 years old. I

I started watching Dr. Who at around age 8, because my local PBS station had it on right after Sesame Street.  It was the first science fiction I ever really watched loyally.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 09:37:55 AM »
One of hte PBS stations started showing Dr. Who from episode 1 a few years ago. Actually, probably more like a decade and a half.
I loyally taped it for 3 months or so, then I started fighting my brother over what to watch and lost some. It made me sad.

The original Dr. picked up THREE companions in the first episode. V. Strange.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 06:45:08 PM »
New Doctor Who,...

the new Doctor (Eccleston) is kind of cartoony, but Rose (Billie Piper) his companion is very good. Episode 1 was a nice homage to classic Who, with the living plastic Autons and all.

One thing I didnt like was the Pace of the Episode, which was a tad uneven but otherwise it was great.

Episode 2 the End of the World was good, great alien sfx nice amounts of humor, and an interesting take on elitism in the ultra far future between the last human and Rose. In it you also find out some other goodies but I need to start a spoiler thread for that.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 07:08:26 PM »
I like that it has a lighter style to it than most of the SciFi out at the moment. Sure they got rid of the tweed jacket and multi-colored scarf (a mistake I'm sure), but it still whimsicle.

Not sure if I'll become a regular watcher, but I might.

I also think the character of Rose is great. She is kind of playing straight-man to Who.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2006, 07:12:08 PM »
Dr. Who needs that too, he knows a lot, and that makes him quirky but sometimes he knows so much he misses the obivious...

"Where are we going to find a big circle in the middle of London?"
"Doctor!"
"Quiet, Im trying to find a large circle"
"But Doctor!"
"Circle, Circle, Circle?"
"Like that!" Billie Points.
"Of course!"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 07:12:24 PM by ElJeffe »

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 06:08:46 AM »
I think christopher ecclestine makes a great dr who, it's realy too bad he quit  after the sixth episode, I hope the new guy they get doesn't suck, but billie piper is great.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 06:09:16 AM by arkalith »
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 12:00:22 PM »
The new Doc is better than Eccleston I think, if the Chirstmas Invasion is any example. He goes through a great monolog where he does every doctor. In the end he has a touch of the bitter Sarcasm of Pertwee and Tom Baker, but he's gonna be a little darker I think.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 01:10:33 AM »
Yay, Doctor Who saved Utah. Well, actually Rose saved Utah. Yay Rose.

Course it wasn't a very realistic depiction of Utah. First of all, everyone knows about all the Top Secret Military Bases. We don't do anything about it because there are so many we just can't be bothered with them. Second, when Who asked the "bad guy" about the nearest city, it should have been something more indicative of Utah--like Deweyville population 278--quite the thriving metropolis.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 07:53:07 PM »
Ok I have a confession, Im on new Who season II and while it didnt start as auspiciously as I'd hoped episode II tooth and claw was phenomenal.

Question... what do you get when you mix the Doctor, and Rose, and Queen Victoria, and kung-fu ninja monks and a Werewolf... a lot of fun. They managed to add the horror and whimsey back into Dr. Who in this one and it was so much fun.

Next weeks Who has Giles from Buffy and there is a past companion Cameo well two past companions actually.

K9 and Sarah Jane!

Yay.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 06:48:21 PM »
Comparisons between Mal from Serenity and the newest Doctor.  (I refuse to call him "Ten".  That's just really dumb. I will continue to refer to the doctors by the actors' names just like I have for the past 15 years.)

http://bellanut.livejournal.com/135550.html
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 06:48:40 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan