Author Topic: review: Pirates of the Caribbean 2  (Read 8294 times)

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: review: Pirates of the Caribbean 2
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2006, 11:39:21 AM »
Im not so sure I see Orlando becoming like Cary Elwes...

You mean having a career that goes nowhere, giving a terrible performance in "Twister," and then fading into oblivion? Even if Bloom never makes another movie, he's had more success tahn Elwes, who is only noteworthy for "Bride" and "Glory."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 05:01:24 PM by Spriggan »
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2006, 12:14:50 PM »
Im not so sure I see Orlando becoming like Cary Elwes...
quote]

You mean having a career that goes nowhere, giving a terrible performance in "Twister," and then fading into oblivion? Even if Bloom never makes another movie, he's had more success tahn Elwes, who is only noteworthy for "Bride" and "Glory."

I meant more in the "every young girl growing up will fall madly in love with him when they watch this movie" sort of way.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2006, 08:49:19 PM »

I meant more in the "every young girl growing up will fall madly in love with him when they watch this movie" sort of way.

That makes a lot more sense. And I must say, I forgot two other good performances from him - his guest shot on "Seinfeld" and his turn as John Houseman in "Cradle Will Rock."
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2006, 09:06:39 PM »

Robin Hood Men in Tights.... he was good in that too...

They both have the eyecandy factor, but I do believe that is a good point. Orlando's already more successful.

I was so depressed by the quivering pile of yuck that Cary was in Saw, thats for sure. Because, yes, after Bride and Robin I fell in love with him - like any good young little stereotyped girl.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 09:09:12 PM by caiticlu »
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2006, 01:14:32 AM »
I thought Cary was great in Saw.  Unfortunately, acting the role really well meant that the audience should hate him.  We did.  Nicely put, by the way, "quivering pile of yuck"  pithy.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2006, 02:23:57 AM »
Just saw Pirates.  I enjoyed it, overall, although a lot depends on the third, since this was basically only half a movie.  If the third capitalizes on the setup here, though, I think the trilogy could be pretty darned good.

Calaros

• Level 1
  • First impressions suck. Thats why I have an AK-47!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2006, 03:26:38 PM »
I just went to see this movie a couple of days ago, and I have to say it was brilliant :) Although having said that, I really must agree with a part of the review. The part in question would be that it just doesn't seem as clever or immersing as the old one. But damn, the ending is great ;D At least IMO.

(Oh yeah: w00t my first post in this forum!)
You might not know it, he might not think it, but I damn well kick ass at it!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2006, 06:00:44 PM »
Hi Calaros, make sure to introduce yourself and read the FAQ. A better man than might even link you to them, but they're up at the top somewhere.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Elizabeth226

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2006, 04:26:51 PM »
Hey!!
Can Someone Please Help.....???? ???
My Friends Didnt Want To Stay While The Credits Were Running So We Left....So I Missed The Very Last Bit After The Credits.Could Anyone Please Enlighten Me As To What Happened.
Thankyou______x

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2006, 01:09:23 PM »
So I saw this a couple days ago.

It really isn't that bad of a film.

I mostly agree with the Gibbs review.

So the end credit scene...SPOILER

after the end of the credits, you go back to the island and see the cannibal natives dancing. Sitting on the throne is the prison dog holding a bone in it's mouth.

end SPOILER.

See, you really didn't miss much.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2006, 06:59:25 PM »
Elizabeth: please note that we only allow entire sentences written in title case on Title Case Day. I know it's a really fun holiday and all, we'd like it to be all year-round, but please refrain and use regular sentence case the rest of the year. It makes Title Case Day that much more special.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

medrx

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2006, 08:42:24 PM »
Finally got to see Pirates today.  I thought it was very satisfying.  It has the making to be a great second chapter of an overall wonderful trilogy.  Reminded me a bit of Empire Strikes back in that way.  Dark, revelations, a bit more romantic, tense, and leaves you with a little feeling of "qua"?  Not bad, not bad at all...
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2006, 08:59:14 PM »
I liked it too.

I can see why some people didn't. It had a ton of plot, did not end, and had a ton of slap you in the face drama and action.

Oh, and the fact that Jack seemed to be idolized through out the entire show. That did bug me quite a bit.

Anyway! I will like to see the third.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2006, 01:23:17 AM »
I've realized one of the things that bugged me about it. I wasn't emotionally involved. Like the bits with the kraken? Meh. I could appreciate the quality of the CGI, but I just didn't care what happened. Or the whole bit with Will on Davy Jones' ship. It didn't pull me in.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2006, 02:24:31 AM »
That's how I felt about X3, but this one was a little more fun than X3, so I suppose I got into Pirates more.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing