Author Topic: review: Pirates of the Caribbean 2  (Read 8472 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: review: Pirates of the Caribbean 2
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 12:22:07 PM »
Sent.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 01:12:46 PM »
Thanks stacer. It's about what i'd expect - the film doesn't lend itself to shattering conclusions.

Wish they would stop putting things after the credits though.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 06:48:41 PM »
Oo, me too? Can you please tell me what happened at the credits? My friends dragged me out of there before I got to see it. Thanks!!
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 07:29:22 PM »
It's not worth sitting through the credits for.
Imo, the first one was better, but I still enjoyed the sequel.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 08:02:01 PM »
This was quite possibly one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time.  I didn't expect it to be as good as the first one, but I also didn't expect it to be so awful.  I think the review is rather kind to it.  How disappointing.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 10:16:02 PM »
Well, it made $132 million opening weekend, passing Spiderman II by about $15 million or so for the best opening ever.  Bad, awful or wonderful, Disney's laughing all the way to the bank.  It'll be interesting to see what the second week brings for it.  It's hanging strong at a 7.9 on IMDB, with over 4,000 votes, so thus far, it seems the majority of people really enjoy it.  (As a comparison, Return of the King, the #4 rated movie on IMDB, got an 8.9.  Pirates 1, with a 7.8, is 240th of all time.)  I'd like to see this film in theaters, all things considered, and I don't get to go to theaters often.

Meanwhile, Superman's dropped down to about $22 million for the weekend, putting it at like $140 million so far.  That was a surprise to me--I thought it'd stand up better on its second weekend.  Guess most people voted for Pirates.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 09:59:51 AM »
I think the second weekend of Supes was lost to Pirates.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 12:42:37 PM »
Boxoffice mojo lists Pirates and bad word of mouth for Supes decline.  I'll probably see it again, just because I enjoyed X3 so much more the second time, but I need to see Pirates 2 before I do that.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 01:10:29 PM »
I agree with Fish.  This was one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen.  The characters were trivialized to the point that I began to hate some of them and actually didn't care about them anymore.  I practically ran out of the theater.

The special effects, however, were beautifully done.  (But that doesn't make up for a painfully convoluted, confusing, and contrived storyline.)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 10:50:20 PM »
Oh, I liked it all, especially the extensive sword fighting and the animation on Davy Jones. They did a great job with him.  Some of the sword fights made me keep thinking of Princess Bride. Orlando Bloom will get to be this generation's Cary Elwes!

I'm glad I went to see this one.  It was just fun, gosh people what do you expect out of a Pirate movie, based on an amusement park ride at that?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 10:51:26 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 11:25:23 PM »
The worst part was the part where we tried, unsucessfully, to explain "Snakes on a Plane" to my mom.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 12:56:53 AM »
Did you scream Jacksons "catch-phrase" in her face?

"We got mother-fing snakes on a plane!"
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2006, 10:46:45 AM »
Im not so sure I see Orlando becoming like Cary Elwes...
I thought the sword fights in this were kind of lacking. Lets see how many crazy wacky things we can do while trying to have a sword fight!
Hamster wheels, climbing things, too much focus on the running around part of it, and not enough on the actual swordplay.
The first movie had the crazy run around do wierd stuff, but they showed skill with a sword, I dont think this one did that.
But thats just my opinion.
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 11:11:32 AM »
oh, you and your opinions.  ;D

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 11:36:42 AM »
I've been going into this one with  some trepidation, because of the 'back to back format" they are susing to shoot the sequels (which usually leads to a second film that feels like it's just a commericla for the third, and a third that goes nowhere), and while it did show signs of that syndrome, the bottom line is that it was a lot of fun, and I will definitely see it multiple times.

I know everyone is going on about Depp, as well they should, but I have to say that I really liked Orlando Bloom in this one. He just keeps getting better with each film, and no one out there does action better. The fight on the wheel was incredible.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting