Author Topic: review: Pirates of the Caribbean 2  (Read 8306 times)

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
Re: review: Pirates of the Caribbean 2
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 04:34:37 PM »
You're just jealous that a movie about ninjas would bever be as popular.  

;D
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 07:16:17 PM »
Of course there will be a sequel - it's in production right now, and schedule for release next year.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 07:24:54 PM »
And whether or not the audience follows any movie news at all the film itself leaves absolutely no doubt.  With a hammer.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 09:04:57 PM »
Im inclined to agree with that review pretty much entirely. I was entertained, but I left the theater exclaiming, "What the HECK was that?!" and walked home imitating the Jack/Elizabeth swagger (since she has begun to adopt his style of walking).
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 10:42:05 PM »
Nooooo! Why can't we have a *good* sequel! :'( Now I am depressed. After X3, I hoped that Jack at least wouldn't let me down. Guess it's a good thing I am poor and probably can't go unless I get asked out. haha. :P
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 11:47:03 PM »
Well hopefully my mom will pay for us to go see this on Monday so until then I'm not looking at nothing 'cause I don't want to go into it expecting it to suck.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 01:53:33 PM »
'cause I don't want to go into it expecting it to suck.

Sounds like it's too late.

It didn't "suck." It just wasn't very good.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 02:04:51 PM »

Sounds like it's too late.

It didn't "suck." It just wasn't very good.

Well I saw it's only got a 52% on Rotten Tomatoes. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything to me because I don't see this being a critic-friendly movie necessarily.

So, we'll see.  You're not one of the people who I seem to ever agree on movies with, so I still hold out hope.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 02:06:42 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 03:39:09 PM »
The first one got about a 75%, but I was looking at the two sets of reviews and it was pretty interesting: some of the people who hated the first one are now praising the second for the things they didn't like about the first, and some of the people who liked the first are criticizing the second for the same things, as well.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 04:22:36 PM »
I think this is interesting:  three out of four reviews I've read today (Skar's being the exception) say that they gave the first movie a bad review, but in retrospect it was really awesome.  And then they gave this one a bad review.

I wonder if this one will turn out the same way.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 08:29:15 PM »
I saw it today. I thought it was a great, really enjoyable but brainless romp. Very funny moments, some nice action, and about 3 clever lines in the whole movie. It's basically exactly the same as the first one, only with a different plot. If you liked the first, you should like this one.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 02:19:13 AM »
I just got home from watching it, and other than having little closure at the end, I loved it. And be sure to stay to watch till the end of the credits.

A couple sitting next to me left right in the middle of it, so I suppose they disagreed, but I laughed and was amazed and startled at all the right places. I didn't know what to expect going in--didn't read any reviews--so I suppose I was pleasantly surprised. But I love the first one and rewatch it periodically, so perhaps it's just me.

Also, I thought the fight scenes, especially the one between Jack-Will-Commodor were hilarious. The slimyness was downright gross, but I'll get over it.

Oh, and this was definitely set pre-Victorian era. I'm pretty sure this was about right at 1800 or before, more likely even late 1700s. They refer to "the king," for one. Victoria's reign began in 1837 and ended in 1901 (drilled into my head in my Victorian class).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 02:32:11 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

CookieReaver

• Level 1
  • I'm a music box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 06:09:55 AM »
I rather enjoyed this one myself. The first was better in my mind, simply for being a little more origonal (of course, it's had to make a sequel origional). But over all, this was a good movie, and I'm probably going to go see it again soon.

Also, I liked how there were so many mini-plots, that sort of almost tied together. It stopped it from being too  predictable.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 07:55:19 AM »
Stacer, could you tell me what happens after the credits in a PM? We left while the credits were still running.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch