Author Topic: No real desire to watch TV  (Read 2027 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
No real desire to watch TV
« on: February 14, 2006, 08:58:26 AM »
Its wierd, over the last 3 months I've had no desire to watch regular TV. Im interested in some stuff on history international (i.e. History Channel England... /me inserts sarcasm here "big difference on perspective guys") but in general you can take my TV and eat it for all I care.

I havent even really cared for movies.

Its odd.

I spend a lot more time online now which may be why...

but who knows.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: No real desire to watch TV
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 12:04:31 PM »
I'm not a big TV watcher eitehr, but I've found a couple of shows that hold my attention.  Battlestar Galactica and Supernatural are Tivoed every week!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 12:27:27 PM »
KILL YOUR TV!

I watch no TV. It's in the basement where I don't go often. Plus hte reception's terrible. And there really isn't anything online to motivate me to see it.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 01:18:14 PM »
I'm with Jeffe. I spend a lot of time online.  The TV in our bedroom has no cable and so i only use it to watch movies while I sew. I watch Lost on Wednesdays and that's it, though I'm going to be working during the next few episodes.

I actually see more TV at work than I ever do at home. I was worried that after our "year of no tv" last year moving into a house with wall to wall cable would cause me to regress.  But after a month of watching Star Trek reruns on Spike I got bored.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 02:00:53 PM »
I think thats the trick...
Network TV does a good job of tricking you into a cycle and feeding a desire to flop in front of the box. Break that cycle however and you have no real compulsion to watch it.

News used to be an addiction for me, untill I had to work where we monitored the news 24/7 I have no problem not watching news for 3 to 4 weeks now.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 02:29:53 PM »
tuche my trebuchet
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 05:26:00 PM »
Yeah, the "cycle" shows can get you. For me, though, I watch only two shows, really. "Lost" and once in a while "Survivor." (My bro and I like to argue about the castaways and such).  Oh, I used to watch Smallville all the time, but I got a bit bored, and I missed some shows, so now I'm totally behind.

Anyway, I'm doing pretty good at not letting myself get hooked on any more shows. Yay! Good thing, too, since school and work are so crazy.  
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 06:05:09 PM »
I'm only following Veronica Mars which, to my knowledge, doesn't air in Britain. So I download the episodes (about 6 hours after they air in the USA, harhar), watch them, and delete them. Thats the only show I follow. Otherwise I just watch various music channels (except MTV itself, of course).
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 05:44:47 PM »
With our move to our new apartment, we're ditching cable. It's just ridiculous to pay 100 bucks for cable + internet. Instead, we're going to be paying $5.70 a month for a phone line (plus universal recovery fee etc.), $12.99 for slow DSL, and we're going to start buying season DVDs of TV shows.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 09:04:06 PM »
Given that I watch almost all of my TV in DVD-collection form, I can completely understand that.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 09:07:27 PM »
My children are scandalized if they think I'm watching 'their' TV. So no daytime TV for me. And, frankly, prime time shows are crap, particularly during the summer. So I totally am feeling the same vibe here.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 10:22:04 PM »
The only things I miss about not having cable are Gilmore Girls and The Colbert Report. I can download the former and watch portions of the latter on Comedy Central's website. And I own all the available seasons of GG on DVD, and am asking for season 6 for Christmas (I'm assuming it will be available by then). I don't bother with network TV.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 01:01:22 AM »
You can find torrents for both online...

My interest is piqued in a new PBS mini show in the frontier house series... http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ranchhouse/

oh and the new Cousteau thing... Ocean Adventures! Rawk... but thats what torrents are for.

I might try and watch em when they come back on.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 11:25:54 PM by ElJeffe »

chunktile

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 02:44:04 AM »
I generally watch news, but even that I receive mostly off cnn.com. Mostly, I grab the box set from the local Walmart and call it good. Youtube works too.  :)
If everyone is different, then no one is the same. With no definition of the normal, aren't we all insane?