Author Topic: Superman Returns  (Read 10927 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Superman Returns
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2006, 02:00:23 PM »
No there wasn't earth like gravity on the moon in that movie, but there was some gravity.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2006, 02:30:09 PM »
So why does 4 stars equal 5 out of 6 clocks?  There was nothing negative in the review except perhaps saying that Superman looks a tad cartoony at times.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2006, 02:43:01 PM »
Be cause our movie reviewers are silly.  6/6 for them would be 5/4 stars.  It's a discussion we've already had and if you want to comment on it then do so in the appropriate thread please.

http://www.timewastersguide.com/boards/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=suggestions;action=display;num=1134799820

This thread is for discussing the movie itself and not the scoring system.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2006, 04:12:38 PM »
So why does 4 stars equal 5 out of 6 clocks?  There was nothing negative in the review except perhaps saying that Superman looks a tad cartoony at times.

Parker,

I agree with you - I think it's a 6 clocker, certainly more than a 5  (in fact, we were commenting on the fact that Superman DOESN'T look cartoony, as opposed to Neo in "Matrix Reloaded," so there's nothing negative at all.). But we've been over this territory before, and certain anal retentive people who have nothing better to do than complain and call people "Silly" when they can pull themselves away from their playstation don't seem to want to discuss this issue anymore, so salavee.

"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2006, 04:14:44 PM »
No there wasn't earth like gravity on the moon in that movie, but there was some gravity.

It ws close to Earth- like gravity - when Zodd drops the flags, they just drop to the ground, full force, exactly like they would on Earth.
- Sting

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2006, 04:26:30 PM »
A quick reiteration:
The Gibbs brothers give their reviews 1 to 4 stars, and the movie editor (Skar) converts them into clocks as he sees fit. Sprig's comment about 6 clocks equaling 5 out of 4 stars actually refers to my attitude, not the reviewers'--I'm very picky about 6 clock reviews, and put up a big fuss over them.

But please, let's keep this thread about Superman. If you want to discuss scoring systems we have a marvelous Suggestions thread just up the page.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 04:29:02 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2006, 05:06:36 PM »
Fell, you're silly.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2006, 06:14:58 PM »
You can go sit in the hall, young man.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2006, 06:33:46 PM »
"But he does turn into a cartoon like Neo in The Matrix Reloaded."

Is there supposed to be a "not" in there?

Also, I'm not sure about the "icily" comment. How was her performance icy?

I read Ebert's review, and he commented that no one in the movie seemed to be having fun. That does appear to be true for several people. I mean, the piano playing guy had fun. I think Lex had fun in his evil, not-over-the-top way. But Lois & Superman/Clark? Hmmm. Not really. Lois was very torn. Clark as well. Superman seemed to go out saving the day not because he wanted to but because he needed to. There was a lot of angst in the atmosphere.

Superman did seem to be happy in his house scene monologue at the end, but it's a bittersweet happiness for obvious reasons.

Is this a fun movie? I'm not really getting that vibe. Maybe that's why it was reportedly so difficult to put together. And I don't think the sequel is going to be any easier. But the difficulty was entirely of the scriptwriter's/etc. choosing--all caused by the "Superman has been gone for 5 years" thing.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that when I went to see it, the theater music for the hour before the show was all Superman-related. Those pop songs "If I go crazy, then will you still call me Superman," etc.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2006, 07:26:46 PM »
Yes, there was supposed to be a "not" in there. Our mistake. Anyway, regardless of the scoring system (which is best ignored entirely), I think "Superman Returns" easily stands out as the best popcorn movie of the year to date. I am, howver, conflicted as to whether I want to see a sequel. After the debacle of parts III and IV, it's so great to see the series wrapped up well that I may be happier to see it just end here.

Incidentally, the review should have included the line "this a thinking, feeling person's comic book movie. Spriggan will hate it." ;D

Nothin' but love for ya, man.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 07:29:21 PM by Paul_Gibbs »
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2006, 10:13:13 PM »
what?  I have to think to enjoy this movie?  That right there is sick and wrong.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2006, 12:14:59 AM »
"But he does turn into a cartoon like Neo in The Matrix Reloaded."

Is there supposed to be a "not" in there?

Also, I'm not sure about the "icily" comment. How was her performance icy?

Crap. There was indeed supposed to be a NOT in that sentence. My bad.

Who's performance was icy? You must be refferring to a post - we didn't describe anyone that way in the review.
- Sting

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2006, 04:42:12 AM »
Just got back from seeing it.  Singer did a good job but it's far from perfect.  First off what's up with casting Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane?  Not only didn't she bother acting in the movie she turned a character that's supposed to be a commanding presence into someone who just acts like an idiot. I think Lucas could have gotten better dialog out of her.

Roth did much better then her but he spent more time trying to be Chris Reeve then Superman and failed horribly.  He had the mannerisms down but has no charm at all as Clark Kent.  I think if Singer had decided not to mimic Donner's movies so much it would have come off better by letting Roth act like his characters not trying to act like someone else playing those characters.  He did a much better job at playing Superman just because he had no dialog, but again he could never replace Reeve so they shouldn't have bothered.

Not sure what's up the the kid, he felt thrown in as an after though but I wont go into that any more since this isn't spoilers.  Though it is sad when the 8 year old is a better actor then the leading lady.

Besides that it was a fun popcorn movie, tad long, but it's not an action movie in any way.  It more of a drama with a smidgen of action/suspense in it, if you liked Lois and Clark this is a movie for you.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2006, 04:43:02 AM »

It ws close to Earth- like gravity - when Zodd drops the flags, they just drop to the ground, full force, exactly like they would on Earth.

Well Singer had wind in space so you can decide which is worse.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2006, 09:54:40 PM »
So according the Boxoffice Mojo Superman only took in 16 million yesterday (ouch) and with a production budget of around $300 million WB will more then likely loose a lot of money on this.  Remember that studios only get about 55% of the box office gross in North America (it's much less for over seas).  So that makes me wonder why studios spend so much money on movies?  Superman would have to pull in over $500 million to break even and X3 would have to pull in over $400 million.  Surely licensing makes up for some extra cash but it seams like these big budgeted movies always loose money.