Author Topic: Superman Returns  (Read 10935 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Superman Returns
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2006, 02:05:23 PM »
actually, the superman blue/red origin *and* correction was *never* adequately explained. Something they did on purpose, I believe. I have ever single issue from that period, and I can guarantee you it wasn't.

as for the power changes, I think it's safe to say almost all of that was retconned out again. He can travel nearly as fast as the flash in most of their team ups (flash can exceed the speed of light). The birthing matrix I know has been retconned -- recent retellings show him a baby when leaving Krypton. I think it's safe to say the stupid force field crap has been recognized for what it was (stupid) and quietly ignored out of continuity (try finding a source in the last 20 years that mentions it).

The "S" origin changes every other week. Sometimes it's still Kryptonian. Sometimes his dad. Sometimes his mom. In "The Kents" its origin was a Delaware Indian glyph for healing (entered the family from a half-Delaware ancestor who married in during the last half of the 19th century).

It's not the only thing that has that issue. "Officially" Superman and Lois can't have children because they're different species. However, in the DC 1,000,000 storyline there is a character who is a descendant of Clark and Lois.

I like how people think things are ever "official" when it comes to comics -- which of the 6 "official" origins of Supergirl is accurate? Go ahead back and read my column on ret-conning.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2006, 02:06:45 PM »
In the end it's a made up subject, so they can also make up their own physics and their own ideas. I think that they just wanted to show you that Superman was hurt.

...that's just me.  ;)
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2006, 02:16:54 PM »
exactly. Making up a reason is as dumb as trying to explain why Klingon heads look different, or why Starfleet changes uniforms every other season. Or why star wars ships make sound in space... or midichlorians.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2006, 02:26:11 PM »
Well SE, EP's point was that Superman had that power explanation at one time, which you said he didn't, then provided you with issue numbers.  I don't think any one here was implying it was "set in stone" since, as you said, comic origins change every few months.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2006, 02:59:03 PM »
and my point is still that it would be dumb.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2006, 03:42:43 PM »
Point noted.

Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2006, 07:12:37 PM »
Well, Eric Snider gave it a good review, so I guess I'll have to scrape up some money.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2006, 01:36:42 AM »
and my point is still that it would be dumb.

Wait, I'm still a little unclear. How do you feel about it?
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

medrx

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2006, 05:17:07 AM »
Ok, I'm sorry, but I don't see what everbody's big beef about this movie is.   It's Superman, what more do you people want?  I thought that I may miss Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackmen, but I didn't miss either, and I thought that made up for the poor acting on the girl that played Lois Lane.  Personally, that's my only beef with the movie.  I thought it pretty much stayed true to form.  I loved it and don't pay attention to what critics say.  I thought Parker Posey was great, though I did miss the "Miss Tesmaker!" remark...
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2006, 02:54:53 PM »
Ok, I'm sorry, but I don't see what everbody's big beef about this movie is.   It's Superman, what more do you people want?  I thought that I may miss Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackmen, but I didn't miss either, and I thought that made up for the poor acting on the girl that played Lois Lane.  Personally, that's my only beef with the movie.  I thought it pretty much stayed true to form.  I loved it and don't pay attention to what critics say.  I thought Parker Posey was great, though I did miss the "Miss Tesmaker!" remark...

The beef is, the clothes and force fields and science and things and why they don't get hurt. and why people chnge colors and different dimensions.   :)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2006, 04:22:58 PM »
looks likes supes got #8 on all time opening wensday.  Not as good as I'm sure WB was hoping but $21 mill on a wensday is noting to sneeze at.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/?page=wed&p=.htm

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2006, 07:44:41 PM »
If people are complaining about this movie from a science stanpoint, than they must have hated the other films, especially "Superman II," where there is gravity on the moon.

"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2006, 08:01:30 PM »
There is gravity on the moon. ...or did you mean isn't....?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 08:01:58 PM by FirstMateJack »

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2006, 09:36:52 PM »
I'm guessing he meant "as much gravity on the moon as on earth," but since I haven't seen the movie in many years, that is only a guess.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder