Author Topic: Superman Returns  (Read 10931 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Superman Returns
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2006, 02:24:25 PM »
and yay! someone's getting angry about it!
show me some specific episodes and I'll believe it.

edit: internet searches reveal several forums and a couple fan sites that indicate this theory. None of them credit any specific reference. Nor do any of them (that I've seen) refer to any episodes of any TV series.

But let me be also clear: even if DC officially made this the explanation, it'd still be stupid. Even for Superheroes. Does *every* superhero do that? Because WOnder Woman does the same feats of strength, as does Martian Manhunter, and Aquaman, and a dozen others. And they all get torn costumes in the same way. Do they *all* have this force field?

It's much easier to swallow as a story telling convention than some weak and insipid "physics" explanation.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2006, 02:57:11 PM »
Eh, I'm not really going to waste my time looking for specific instances, I know it was in Lois and Clark, they had an episode all about why his clothing doesn't blow up, which is where I suspect this idea originally came from if it wasn't in the comics.  I actually think their explanation was the "S" on his chest is what allows him to extend his invulnerability field, like some tech that enhances his natural ability.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 04:40:02 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2006, 05:51:50 PM »
Well, Superman may be invulnerable, but he really needs to call Geico and get some better insurance. See his insurance policy won't cover any damages to his suit caused by natural forces (including explosion, crumbling buildings, and laser eye-beams). But, if he is hit by another person, then the insurance company can sue the other party to get payment for a new clothes. Every once and a while, Supes takes a hit from General Zod or Metallo just so he can get a new wardrobe. It's not like anybody can actually hit Supes unless he wants them to anyways.

See, problem solved.  :P
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 03:33:49 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2006, 06:24:18 PM »
Wow, well this will take some explaining... I thought you would know this already SE, being a Supes fan.  But for the quick answer, that is how post-Crisis Supes' powers work.  Lois and Clark series came out after Crisis, and so it follows that version of Supes (in other words, the show borrowed from the comic, not the other way around).

Okay, the very first Superman would be called Kal-L, this is the Golden Age Supes.  Originally he could leap about an 1/8 of a mile, but slowly became more powerful and could fly, works for the Daily Star, etc.

Next you would have Kal-EL, this is Silver Age Superman.  He has a significant increase to his power levels, works for the Daily Planet, revealed himself to the world as a teen (Superboy), had met Lex in Smallville before they became enemies, etc.  Here is also introduced the idea of the Multiverse.  Kal-L from Golden Age is from Earth-Two, while Kal-El from Silver Age is from Earth-One.

After this you have the miniseries Crisis on Infinite Earths (this is where you get pre-Crisis, post-Crisis).  This would be in the mid-80s.  LONG story short, it explains the origins of the Multiverse and eventually a new singular universe is made that has combined aspects of the different parallel worlds.

Post-Crisis, you get the Modern Age Superman introduced in the Man of Steel series.  This is where Supes powers are described as I say, with his force-field and such.  In the Silver-Age, his outfit was invulnerable b/c it was made from cloth from Krypton.

After this there is also Zero-Hour, which changes stuff up yet again (but this time it deals with time travel instead of parallel worlds).

And very recently you have Infinite Crisis.  Lex jr. and Superboy-Prime have made a dimensional tuning fork from the remains of Anti-Monitor, and tricked Spectre into destroying all magic to create a power source.  Then with the fork they begin recreating the alternate earths.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2006, 12:38:53 AM »
I think it's because it isn't a suit.  :O
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2006, 09:06:04 AM »
frankly, I've seen that explanation. I've never seen it documented.

and, as I said, even if DC came up with it, it'd still be stupid as all heck.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2006, 03:56:20 PM »
Well now you know where its from, it is just standard post-Crisis Superman begining in the Man of Steel series in '86.  Its only 6 issues long, you could read it all no prob, but it talks about his 'aura' in issue 1.

There is a lot of different stuff between pre- and post-crisis.  For starters, he goes from lifting 5 quintillion tons+ to a 'possibily' he could lift 100,000 tons.  From faster than the speed of light to mach 10, etc... and his aura of invulnerability is far from the strangest change, how about the 'birthing matrix' where he is sent to earth not as an infant but as a fetus.  The 's' on his uniform was no longer kryptonion but just something Clark and his dad made up.  Lex completely changes.  Clark only developes his powers slowly while growing up (sorta like the Smallville series), etc.

Actually, this would get to weird to make a good list, you'd have to do all pre-Crisis list and then post-Crisis; and you'd still be missing stuff like Gold Era Kal-L, Superman Red/Blue (lol, maybe we shouldn't go there... for 1 year Supes had sort of eletrical-based powers, and he was split into 2 people).  But there you go.  Oh, and don't confuse the Man of Steel series with Superman: Man of Steel which came out in the 90s, although it just continues with the same version.  There is also new changes to Supes backstory yet again in Superman: Birthright that came out in '04.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 03:59:23 PM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2006, 04:10:56 PM »
/me is boggled and wishes the earth could turn backwards so that she would have no memory of this debate.

Ah, if only that were possible...
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2006, 04:56:45 PM »
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2006, 05:08:01 PM »
I've heard the acting on all fronts is horrible.  Though I love Spacy when he's campy so it won't bother me much.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2006, 06:46:02 PM »
I thought the acting was fine, and Spacey was especially good. I didn't find him campy at all.

I thought Lex Luthor's "new continent" plan was campy...sort of...but his character was not campy.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2006, 08:17:16 PM »
Eagle, I've seen the Red/Blue Superman and it is a weird character. He ends up cutting his hair and using all this weird science. Eventually though this phase passes and Superman goes back to his normal self. No more mullet either.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2006, 08:46:40 PM »

Yeah... not too sure why he did it. Just know he did. Grant Morrison was the writer for the JL comics I've read.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2006, 10:56:42 PM »
Supes Blue, sweet!  Now try explaining this to SE, he had at least 2 different origins to being split into Superman Red/Blue and the different powers.  Although I think the best one was he overloaded with energy to the point he became solid energy.  Then when Red/Blue teamed up, they lost so much power that they finally recombined into the old Supes.  The other main one I remember being that he was slightly out of phase with reality from when Tolos tried pulling him into Kandor (the city in a bottle).

Actually, I will just post a link that explains it rather than try to explain it myself.  Its been years since I even read any of the comics about the Man of Energy.  http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/comics.php?topic=comics-new_supes

42, you should try making Superman Blue with MnM rules.  Or at least a PL 10 version that someone could play.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 11:02:20 PM by Eagle_Prince »

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2006, 08:11:02 AM »
I really liked the move. I thought the acting was good. Though Luther's chickie was obnoxious, I think thats all the actress can play since every time I see her shes playing obnoxious. But she plays it well.
So, for the earlier discussion of Superman/godfigure, the PVP comic did something amusing on that today http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20060627
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...