Author Topic: Superman Returns  (Read 10928 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Superman Returns
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 09:36:18 AM »
Ookla, it's on Undernet. I should note that the RandRob guy is *not* a regular, and everyone else there was excited for the new film.

Anyway, it's not like the movies were the first or last things to make a case for the Jesus/Supes comparison. It's pretty much always been there. One of the best images is on page 31 of Kingdom Come where Clark is repairing/building a barn. He has a beam across his shoulders and a pocket full of spikes. With the beard he's grown, the Christ parallel is hard to ignore.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 10:03:10 AM »
Oooh, Man of Steel with a beard...

/me 's knees suddenly go all weak.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 10:03:21 AM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 10:49:39 AM »
seriously, buy a copy, Shrain. It's on my recommended reading list anyway.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 11:12:04 AM »
*nods* Yes, I shall. I'm very curious about this one and a few others on that list of yours.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 01:07:35 PM »
Which reminds me of a questin I've always had and maybe you guys can explain because you know way more about superman than me: Can he cut his hair very easily? Or is it hard to cut like it's hard to cut his skin? Do you have to have Kryptonite around him to weaken him and then cut his hair or what?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 01:54:41 PM »
In the comics, actually, they show him shaving at least once by reflecting his heat vision off a mirror. I reckon the hair is cut in a similar way.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2006, 05:30:00 PM »
Laser cuts--for hair! I imagine he has no trouble with split ends. Does this remind anyone else of how Hercules dispatched that lion with its own claw because nothing else would pierce its hide?
--Spriggan

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 07:20:34 PM »
As long as we are on the subject, has anyone else noticed that the strength of any given superhero or villian is directly proportional to the strength of their clothing?

Take superman.. if he is in an explosion. And he walks out but his clothes are ok, you know that he wasn't hurt. But, if someone hits him into a wall, and he gets up and there is a rip in his uniform or cape, you know he is hurt.

Isn't that awesome?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 07:20:54 PM by FirstMateJack »
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 11:34:28 PM »
One thing said about Supes is his invulnerability formed a sort of short-range forcefield around him, and thus tight-fiting clothes would be inside it.  Thus any damage to his clothing would be from something that penetrated his invulnerability (and thus able to hurt him).  He also could supposedly extend this force to objects he picked up, letting him for example pick up a car just by the bumper or a large building or boat, which otherwise would simply be crushed under its own weight or whatever (b/c its being supported by such a small point, ie one or two human hands rather than the whole foundation or whatever.).
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2006, 05:56:43 PM »
Yay! I saw it! It started at 1:00 and we got there at 9:45 hoping we could get in...and we were the first ones in line. We were there so early we got there before the film itself did! They carried it in in three silver film suitcases and had like 10 security guards.

It was a good movie. I was pretty satisfied.

Eric: I used to hang out there ten years ago!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 05:57:22 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Marche100

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2006, 07:38:10 PM »
Ughh..I hate superman. Fat chance im gonna see this. But it sounds ok from my view.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 12:26:48 PM »
One thing said about Supes is his invulnerability formed a sort of short-range forcefield around him, and thus tight-fiting clothes would be inside it.  Thus any damage to his clothing would be from something that penetrated his invulnerability (and thus able to hurt him).  He also could supposedly extend this force to objects he picked up, letting him for example pick up a car just by the bumper or a large building or boat, which otherwise would simply be crushed under its own weight or whatever (b/c its being supported by such a small point, ie one or two human hands rather than the whole foundation or whatever.).

This theory would be more accurate of Supergirl/Matrix than Superman, since her abilities are actually telekinetic. Saying it about Superman, on the other hand, smacks of trying to legitimize a physics issue.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2006, 01:00:05 PM »
I've heard the same thing said about Superman SE that EP wrote.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2006, 01:55:42 PM »
I heard the world was flat too.
I read it on the Internet
It must be true.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2006, 02:02:21 PM »
Ya! We're having an Internet argument about a FICTIONAL character.  Anyway I didn't read it on the internet I saw it on a Superman show, DCAU, Smallville and Lois and Clark all used those explanations.  So if you have a beef with anyone it's with DC for not conforming to your view of the character.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.