Author Topic: review: Aquaman  (Read 2617 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
review: Aquaman
« on: February 15, 2007, 04:39:19 PM »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 04:40:50 PM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: review: Aquaman
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 07:34:31 PM »
Do I really want to read this review, let alone actually watch the pilot? I know I can download it free from itunes. In fact, I think I may have already done that. But I do have one question: Are they using the same guy from Smallville?

If not, excellent! I'm already hooked!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 09:45:30 PM »
It's completely different then the aquaman on smallville and a different approach then Smallville takes on superheros.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 02:13:55 AM »
It's Green Arrow from Smallville playing Aquaman, not Aquaman from Smallville.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 03:15:09 PM »
Ok, so it's not that weirdo from Smallville. I just watched this and thought it was pretty good stuff. However, I think the two who are doing this show, Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, are two exceptional guys as they've been with Smallville for 6 seasons now and it's pretty awesome. I know they had some episodes of Smallville that seemed entirely dedicated to Fan Service, but hey, what can ya do?

This has promise. Maybe they're just gonna hold off on it until they can finish up Smallville. I heard this may be the last season, or they may go for one last season with #7. We'll see. Maybe they are working on it and just keeping it under wraps. Who knows.

And sure, there's plenty of scantily clad womens running around, but hey, it's in the south where they wear that kind of stuff night and day. Can you blame them for that?

As for your balance issue, I think these guys could do it. They've been balancing Smallville across so many flames or whatever analogy you want to use there that I'm still loving it.
                William S. Burroughs

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 07:12:58 PM »
Any place to go to watch the trailer other than iTunes?  It's not worth downloading Apple software to me.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 07:36:48 PM »
Well, if you know what torrent's are, then you can go find a torrent site and download it from there. Otherwise hop on AIM and send me a message and I could send it to you. Don't worry, no laws are being broken, this was released freely by itunes, so any way you get it won't be harming no one's feelings or pockets.
                William S. Burroughs

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 08:49:16 PM »
Jade, I still use Winamp as my music player of choice, but I have to admit that despite my frustration with being stuck with it, iTunes is a pretty solid piece of programming. It has lots of features with beneficial application, it's never locked up on me, and it runs smoothly. In fact, really the only reasons I haven't switched are a) I'm very used to the exact display I get with my particular skin on winamp and that's what I want, and b) it's more useful for me to work with batches of files if I can just add them at the time instead of having to sort through the playlist.
As a tag editor, it's truly superior to any other program I've tried

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 08:50:08 PM »
* Shrain perks up.

Free?! Watching Justin Hartley in beach attire for free? The review made me interested, but I was thinking not much chance I'd pay for a pilot that doesn't have other episodes coming out. But heck I might as well enjoy a little eye cand--er, cool storytelling.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 10:01:28 PM »
Well, I was checking the itunes for it and could not find it. Or at least it wasn't finding it at the time I was searching. This is why I resorted to my other "unfavorable*" solution. But if you want it, and can't find it, you know where to find me.
                William S. Burroughs

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
Well if it's free on iTunes how can they complain if it's free anywhere else?  I know Apple isn't paying them $2 everytime that pilot is downloaded.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 02:45:05 AM »
It's not that I'm that opposed to trying out another player (though I very much like Winamp, which isn't bad for tagging, either), but more that I'm generally trying to Boycott Apple for their DRM, etc., practices.  (I have a list of  grievances.  =þ )
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 03:19:49 PM »
You know that Steve Jobs has been active in trying to get the RIAA to drop the concept of DRM, right?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 04:41:31 PM »
ya he has, but I'm one of the one's that feels that even though Job's himself doesn't like DRM he's not going to drop it anytime soon because of how much money it's made him, plus Apple was the one that only a few months ago said that if DRM was removed from iTunes in Europe it would be pure anarchy and cause the collapse of the music industry as a whole.  And with Apple you don't say anything unless it's Job's approved so it looks like he's trying to play it both ways.

Now the people doing the most to get DRM free music is Yahoo, they've been working on that cause since their store went up and have actually managed to convince EMI to release several albums DRM free to show then their sales won't be hurt.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 05:31:31 AM »
of course they're not dropping it until the RIAA says they can. Their business relies on having a monstrous selection. Simply dropping DRM without the the copyright owner say so is suicide. I'm positive that Jobs lobbying for the removal of DRM will have more effect than Yahoo. The money thing has been demonstrated time and again.