Author Topic: review: The Departed  (Read 1391 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: review: The Departed
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 06:21:07 PM »
Saw this today. Was impressed and greatly enjoyed it.

However, I do not think this is award winning. Not the real big ones anyways. But we'll see what else is released in these final months of 2006.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 04:36:22 PM »
Saw this today. Was impressed and greatly enjoyed it.

However, I do not think this is award winning. Not the real big ones anyways. But we'll see what else is released in these final months of 2006.

I will not guarrantee that it will win Best Picture, though I think it will, but if  Scorcese does not win Best Director, I pledge that I will personally marry a goat.

"Gangs of New York" managed to get a nomination just because the Academy wants to honor this guy. GANGS OF NEW YORK, for cryin' out loud.

They want to give it to something that personifies him as an artist, and this is that movie. The only thing monkey wrench that can be thrown into the works is if someone else, especially an actor, makes a film that is seen as more personal, a true labor of love (such as Kevin Costner with "Dances With Wolves" beating "Goodfellas," or Eastwood with "Million Dollar Baby." While I can't wait for "Flags of Our Fathers," they won't give it to Eastwood over Scorsese again this soon.

Scorsese will win. I stand firm on this.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 04:52:13 PM »
The Academy is so desperate to give Scorsese an award, I think he would have won with The Departed even if it had been only passable; I'm greatly relieved to see that it's actually awesome and well-deserving.

That said, I am now officially campaigning against this movie winning any Oscars at all. Bring on the goat!
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 11:25:22 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised at all if something more touchy-feely and emotional like "The Queen" won Best Picture, but this is Marty's year as director. Remember, in this decade, it's only been a 50-50 proposition for the Picture and Director to go to the same  film.

It helps that nothing else by a name director seems to be gaining enough momentum. The only possible exceptions are Eastwood's "Flags of Our Fathers" and Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto". They won't give it to Clint over Marty again this soon. And it doesn't matter how good Mel's film is or isn't, I doubt they'll even invite him this year. Olvier Stone's "World Trade Center" was well-recieved, but not really regarded as "An Oliver Stone Film". Perhaps Scorcese's strongest competition is "United 93"'s Paul Greengrass. But I think the sentimental vote will carry Marty over the top.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:28:44 PM by Paul_Gibbs »
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 06:08:16 PM »
Having seen this now, I can definitely say that I agree with the 6 clock review.  Everything about the film was over the top good, and to top that, it was an absolutely outstanding example of the gritty-cop-film genre.  As a story it was also exceedingly well told.  All the loose ends were tied up and it didn't feel cheap like that usually does.

Nice.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch