Author Topic: Eragon  (Read 21430 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Eragon
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2009, 05:26:51 AM »
Anyway, Eragon sucks, right?

I have not read it due to the testimony of many who have whose judgment I trust.

Well technically, we are supposed to be talking about the movie Eragon, but hey. They both sucked  :P
I think I've probably said this before, but there was so much potential. Paolini could have done something with it, but instead he followed a Star Wars plot and his execution sucked.
The book was not horrible. I might even say both Eragon and Eldest were good, at times. But there is better stuff to read. A lot better.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2009, 10:40:37 PM »
mtl-whatever–Ummmm, pretty standard in life, actually. If you give an opinion or a theory, you are often expected to have something substantial to back up your claim. And the point of these boards, besides fun, meeting people and all that good stuff, is to have intelligent discussions, which cannot happen without the occasional challenge.

I actually enjoyed the beginning of Eragon and the middle of Eldest. But Brisingr sucked, and the movie did, too. I don't know which was worse, honestly.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2009, 11:38:02 PM »
Uh, Shaggy, theories yes. Opinions, not so much. And neither are "substantial." They would need a bit of evidence to support them, but nothing substantial. And as for the opinions, it would be nice to understand why a person has an opinion, but it's not necessary, and it's not like you can go up to whomever and say "Your opinion is wrong" simply because you don't understand it.

And as for this LotR discussion. At this point it doesn't matter. He was going off of memory. His memory is apparently good, so he thought he was right. Memory, even good memory, can be wrong. I know. I have a stalkerishly good memory (that's not saying I'm a stalker. That's only saying that sometimes I remember things that make it seem like I could be a stalker....like phone numbers. And addresses....), and I've been wrong more than a few times.

And yes, the movie Eragon sucked. Big time. The book, even though it was completely unoriginal, was good.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2009, 06:12:25 PM »
I actually thought that the movie was better than the book... but just because it didn't take as long to get through.  Couldn't even finish Brisingr, and I am usually pretty religious about finishing any series I start. But he just gets a sword right? Can't be missing too much....
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2009, 05:47:59 PM »
I'm not saying every theory/opinion/thought needs evidence to support it (and if I was, then I stand corrected). What I am saying, however, is that it is not unfair to question an unfounded thought.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2009, 07:46:12 PM »
I'm not saying every theory/opinion/thought needs evidence to support it (and if I was, then I stand corrected). What I am saying, however, is that it is not unfair to question an unfounded thought.

If I had just been questioned, then this discussion would not have happened.

But what actually happened was that people demanded evidence and were quite. Maybe in this new world you youngsters live in, rude is the new nice, but not in my world.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2009, 07:48:29 PM »
Well, not to get into an insult-fest or anything, but for someone who criticizes others as being rude, you're pretty knowledgeable in that area.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2009, 09:40:24 PM »
I actually thought that the movie was better than the book... but just because it didn't take as long to get through.  Couldn't even finish Brisingr, and I am usually pretty religious about finishing any series I start. But he just gets a sword right? Can't be missing too much....
Yeah, Brisingr was by far the worst of the series thus far. I can't really think of a single thing that actually advanced the plot. Well, **SPOILER** Eragon's teacher died, **ENDSPOILER** and we got some info on how Galbatorix is getting his power, but really that was it.
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2009, 09:51:51 PM »
Well, not to get into an insult-fest or anything, but for someone who criticizes others as being rude, you're pretty knowledgeable in that area.

Point me to ONE post of mine where I was rude. just ONE!

By far, you are the rudest person on these boards, but I, and I am sure others, have overlooked it because you are only 12. Honestly, if my 11 year old ever spoke to me in the manner you have made daily conversation here, he would be grounded for a week.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »
Yeah, Brisingr was by far the worst of the series thus far. I can't really think of a single thing that actually advanced the plot. Well, **SPOILER** Eragon's teacher died, **ENDSPOILER** and we got some info on how Galbatorix is getting his power, but really that was it.

Thanks Reaves. Now I am completely satisfied.  :D

And guys, not to stick my neck too far in there since I really didn't read all the posts leading to this, but the discussion seems to be getting pretty heated for a book/movie thread. Maybe you could take it down a notch, or find somewhere else to settle it? Thank you :)   
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:28:06 PM by Frog »
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2009, 11:07:28 PM »
My apologies to Frog and everyone else who has been posting on this board–we shouldn't have taken over the thread like this. I'm sorry.

mtlhddoc2, I'm just going to say one more thing and then I am not continuing this discussion any farther. I feel as if you have been rather set against me from the beginning, and so have responded accordingly. My apologies.

The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Madjius

« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2009, 04:10:21 AM »
In other news!

I think this story is epic. Really if you write eragon at that age its awesome.
The story is Good.
tis Blasphemy! to say it is Cliche or Unoriginal.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2009, 12:24:05 PM »
In other news!

I think this story is epic. Really if you write eragon at that age its awesome.
The story is Good.
tis Blasphemy! to say it is Cliche or Unoriginal.

The story is amazing, and I'm sure George Lucas would agree.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »
Muahuahuahua nice one, Reaves! I agree.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2009, 04:03:30 AM »
I bought Brisingr. Because I read Eragon and Eldest and they were decent. A nice beginners book to fantasy. Low reading level, typical plot line, decently enjoyable.
But I only read the first chapter before I put it down and haven't felt the inkling to pick it up since. I mean, HELLO! They were talking about their male parts. Like... are you kidding me? It's not that it offended me, more like it made me laugh. But not in a good way. I mean, I watch South Park, I'm used to that kind of humor but... Gosh, it wasn't even funny. It was just... immature.
Bad Paolini... bad bad Paolini.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)