Author Topic: Eragon  (Read 21446 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: Eragon
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 11:48:07 PM »
And it's called 'Army of Darkness?' Is it a comedy or something?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 12:01:40 AM »
Oh its hilarious.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 12:09:20 AM »
OK good I love comedies. I'll have to check it out.

Would it be appropriate for a seventh and an eigth grader, do you think?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 02:10:55 AM »
Bruce Campbell is probably best known for his role as Autolycus on Hercules and Xena and as "Boomer" in Sky High, he is currently on "Burn Notice" and has also appeared in all 3 Spiderman movies (he is close friends with Sam Raimi, he produced "Evil Dead" which Sam directed, and his brother Ted (Joxer from Xena) ).

If you like Army of Darkness, also check out "Alien Apocalypse" - which follows the same fish out of water B movieness, although it is not as good as AoD, still fun and funny.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 04:36:12 AM »
Good references. I do remember him in Herculese and Xena. I have no idea what Sky High is but Burn Notice is a good show.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 05:21:48 AM »
Sky High?....Meh. It's okay.....Corny. Wouldn't really recommend it. I should check out 'Army of Darkness' though. Sounds funny.....Hopefully it's more entertaining than Monty Python (which WAS funny, but most of it for me was a "huh?" kind of funny...I couldn't really believe that what was happening on screen was REALLY happening....It was weird. But it was funny. Quite funny...).

And back on topic. Eragon SUCKED. That part where Brom's about to die and Eragon's all talking to him? When I watched it in theatre, I looked over at my friend and I'm like, "This is dialogue from a cheesy romance."....It was pathetic.....Heck, it was more than pathetic. I would almost go so far as to call it the 'Twilight' (book, not movie) of movies.....which means it bombed. Only difference is with Eragon, people know it bombed. With Twilight....there are many deluded souls. I feel sorry for them. Sometimes....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 03:44:06 PM »
Yeah Sky High was pretty cheesy and the acting wasn't very good. VERY unrealistic.

I don't get it with Twilight. And then all the girls in my school who read it are like connecting it to everything that happens in the real world and it gets really annoying. Like, I wrote a story for English and read it in class and it had a character named 'Seth' and a character with the last name 'Cohen.' So of course she misheard me and thought I said 'Seth and Cullen' and was convinced that I read Twilight and took the characters' names for my story. I haven't even read the freakin' book.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 08:09:37 PM »
Heh. I feel more sorry for you than I do for the people who have read it.....I also feel more sorry for you because you're still in middle school/high school, and therefore still have to deal with the majority of Twilighters.....Whereas I, as a college student, can avoid most of them, and the ones that I can't are intelligent enough to know people have differing opinions on certain forms of literature (which I still don't consider Twilight literature, but oh well).

Oh, and I wouldn't say "all the girls" in your school like the books....I would hope some of the girls in your school have brains. Those that do most likely know that Twilight sucks. Bad....Although it probably seems like everyone loves it.....

Speaking of which, two of the females in the jury I was selected for are currently reading Eclipse. For the most part, I've kept my mouth shut regarding them, even though I really want to say something....On a little side note, though. I brought in Mistborn to read. So at least there's some intelligent fantasy in the jury room. It's a start....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2009, 08:23:22 PM »
Haha, yeah.
I still don't consider Twilight literature
See the thing is, all the fans love the story, but the one person I know who's read them and thinks they're bad says they're horribly written. I don't know how the writing is….Regardless, I agree with you.

You're right. Let me say, then, all the girls who I know have read the book (except for one (above-mentioned)) like it. Still pretty pathetic, I think. About the brains thing….Are you familiar with east coast schools? 'Cause if not I won't bother saying my school….
It does. It's a bit overwhelming at times. LOL.

HAHA that's really funny…good thing you're spreading the BS lol.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 08:33:31 PM »
Oh, I'm ALWAYS trying to spread the BS. Great thing to spread. I even tried to this morning with one of the Twilighters. I asked her if she was a fan of fantasy, or just a fan of vampires, and she said neither, and that she doesn't even like romance. All I could think of was 'Why in the HECK do you like Twilight, then?" I didn't say that to her though....I did say that Mistborn was pretty much the best fantasy that I had ever read. Which was true.

As for the writing of it. Let me say this. It's addictive. Meyer has a talent for holding an audience. But the writing ITSELF sucks. Badly. I've read better fanfiction. I've read better Twilight fanfiction. I would venture to say that a 13-year old girl with absolutely no background in writing whatsoever could write a better book than Meyer did. Or at least with more plot, and more developing characters. And just a more intriguing book overall. It seriously sounds like it was written by romance-starved teenage girl....I'll have to post a review my sister found a couple months ago and sent me. But not right now. My lunch break is over. I have to leave. If I don't, I'm going to be late for the reconvening of the trial. And that won't be good.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 08:39:43 PM »
It is 8).  Haha that's weird.

??? I'm sorta confused…if the writing 'sucks,' why do you say the writing is addictive and Meyer has a talent for holding an audience? I'm actually kind of intrigued….

OK good luck.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2009, 02:41:21 AM »
Yes. I understand your confusion. I myself am slightly confused at this paradox.....The only thing that I can say to possibly explain it is that most published authors actually have talent and can hold an audience because of their talent. Then, there are a VERY slim percentage of authors who have the ability to emotionally attach a reader, regardless of the writing skill of said author....You would HOPE that a person with this emotional attachment ability would also have skill. Such is not the case with Meyer....Not the case at ALL.

That's not to say that she's able to emotionally attach ALL readers. Just a good percentage. For example, she got me....At least until I finished them and started thinking about what I had read. And then I realized the sheer stupidity of it all....and the utter immaturity of the writer. My sister, on the other hand, did not get hooked. She kept her head. She also helped me pull out of the dropping IQ deal a bit earlier than I probably would have otherwise....

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2009, 03:11:06 AM »
LOL she's like a witch….
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2009, 03:19:06 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised. Although I think a witch would have a higher maturity level. Meyer is incredibly immature. This is the reason I hate her so much. She's such a popular author, yet she's so immature that she puts a bad connotation to the word "author"....At least for me, anyway.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2009, 11:44:41 PM »
One of my friends just told me she's rereading the Twilight series for like the fifth time. I told her that was pathetic. I don't think it got through, though.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.