Author Topic: How the heck do you buy a new car?  (Read 6442 times)

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
Re: How the heck do you buy a new car?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2006, 12:37:30 PM »
Posted by: Make Love the Spriggan Way Posted on: Feb 9th, 2006, 3:09pm
Though if you buy a Hybrid you get a tax rebate from the Feds.  Not sure how much but I think its around $2k.

The $2K tax deduction (not a rebate) for hybrid vehicles was schedule to go away in 1/1/2006. I haven't heard anything about congress extending this deduction. There could be a good state tax deduction though.

However, the battery life for a hybrid is 7 years so it might be more costly if you are buying a car that you are hoping will last for 10-15 years.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2006, 01:11:46 PM »
NERD ALERT!

I was trying to figure out how Karen's Rio displayed multimedia data files.

Nah, it's not a video version. It will tell you the title/artist of the currently-playing mp3 though.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2006, 01:13:03 PM »
Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand, just like that river winding through the dusty land?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2006, 09:54:35 PM »

Nah, it's not a video version. It will tell you the title/artist of the currently-playing mp3 though.

OOh, I was hoping for a radio that did that.  My mom-in-law's caravan does that.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2006, 03:01:22 PM »
Well. It's not the base model. She had them install a tape player with 6-CD changer under the seat so she can listen to books on tape that are actually on tape.

I didn't want to mess with a changer so I got a normal CD player with a cable sticking into the glove compartment to hook a portable tape player to.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 03:02:28 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2006, 03:04:41 PM »
Since the van has a 10 year old tape deck and the pontiac had its radio stolen any radio is an improvement.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2006, 12:25:28 AM »
I'm reviving this thread because it's mine to begin with and because we're looking again at getting a car.

What with the drastic change in income since February when I started this, it's definitely going to be a used car! My little Grand Prix is feels like it's going to bite the dust any day now and our mechanic said it probably wasn't worth putting any more money into it.  It still runs, so I'm hoping if we get a different car, we can get at least a little money for it, but it's been stalling out at stoplights when I drive it the 7 miles to work.

We'd thought we had one picked out, but we ran it by the same mechanic and he let us know it was a bad move. So , back to the drawing board.  I have until Sept. 18 to get another car, since that's when my classes start. With my going to school in the next town over and working full time, and J.T. working two jobs, one car just ain't gonna cut it...

Wish me luck.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2006, 04:45:28 AM »
Good luck! I'm glad somebody's still around, what with Worldcon and SE being on vacation.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2006, 12:12:27 PM »
I'm still around too! Hey guys, what should we do with everyone gone? :D
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2006, 12:20:24 PM »
Ugh, it's so boring around here. If you guys are doing something, let me know, I'm game.

Oh, and fuzzy, good luck on the car search. We finally got a bigger car a few months ago, and I'm so happy! It was a pain to drive three little kids around in a sedan for 2+ years.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2006, 01:32:22 PM »
Hey guys, what should we do with everyone gone? :D

Well, when the monkey ninjas are away....

I'm sure we could do something clever and devious. It's only fitting, seeing as how they're probably having all manner of fun at the con. Suggestions?
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT