Author Topic: dragon tails  (Read 1920 times)

nobody

dragon tails
« on: June 15, 2004, 09:55:42 AM »
Please read http://www.dragon-tails.com and review it. It's one of the best comics I know about.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: dragon tails
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 10:14:10 AM »
well, technically, nobody told us to do it, so we don't have to. But if someone who cares more than me at 11:00 pm sees this, maybe they will.  Like EUOL, or SE. They both seem to be more productive at reading webcomics than I am, which when you think about it should make them less productive than me. But it's the other way round.

Hmm.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 10:15:27 AM by JamPaladin »
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 11:12:00 AM »
and an Entropy one:
http://www.dragon-tails.com/comics/archive.php?date=991126

Yes, I do need to stop reading comics and get to work. Why do you ask?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 12:03:01 PM »
well, I read the '99 archive. For that period, at least, it was consistent and fairly well rendered. THe squirell is hard to see any details on however.

I would not classify this as "one fo the best comics," although for the most part it's pretty funny. It just doesn't even approach the league consisting of Abrams, Kurtz, or Tycho/Gabe. However, it has it's funny moment. I laughed a few times out loud, and as you can see, linked to a couple. If Mr. Dawson has kept this level of energy over 5 years, I'm impressed.

Another reason I don't unilaterally recommend it though is that there are something like 8 dragons. mostly different colors, and after reading 8 months worth of comics, I couldn't tell you all their names. I think I know 4 or so. There's a character overload with not enough info drawing us into them. I don't feel like I connected with any of them. Bluey has some conflict, and we like him, probably because he's used most frequently, but it's not till the end of the first year that we see anything of Enigma's personaltity, and he's potentially the most interesting, if not the most comedic, though the war with Norman shows he has comic potential as a straight man.

Again, that's all based on 8 months or so of reading, which isn't even 20% of the over all collection, but it's more than you'll get people to read if they don't like it. So while it's a preliminary review, it's a fair one.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 01:34:15 PM »
I do think it has an intresting art style (at least on those ones you linked SE).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 01:43:47 PM »
that's the standard art.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 10:49:10 PM »
Six clawed Koalas aren't something to be sniffed at! They are wild and evil and dangerous!
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 02:23:21 PM »
well, i finished reading the archive. I even have some decent thoughts on it and think I have a pretty good grasp of what he's trying to do with the comic. I'll probably write the review tomorrow or something.