Author Topic: Fish Shows Off  (Read 7073 times)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Re: Fish Shows Off
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 02:25:28 PM »
Tink, if you ever need advice, let me know.  

Nessa, that is freaking amazing.  I am *so* impressed.  If I tried to hand quilt that, it would take me like fifteen years.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 03:25:03 PM »
I would ask for advice if I knew what to ask, but I don't even know where to start.

Like I want to know is, for large quilts (ie King-sized) what do you use for the underside of the quilt (that is not a quilted design)? Is it just multiple pieces of cloth laid next to each other and then sown together to cover the underside? And what is put in between the top and bottom layer to make it "cushy," soft, and warm? (if that makes any sense) And what material is best for quilts? (Cotton?) And what do you mean by using paper? What kind of paper? And how do you sow it together?

You can see how lost I am. I think I just need to wait till I can take some sort of quilting class. Once I know the basics of it, I might be able to figure it all out.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 03:36:17 PM »
I made a King sized quilt once, and I used king sized sheets for the backing.  It works quite well, though you can piece the back if you want.  

The "cushy" layer is called batting.  Are you a Provo person?  I can't seem to find it if you've introduced yourself.  If so you seriously need to come into my store.  (I work at Jo-Ann Fabrics in Orem).  

Cotton is standard for quilting.  

Paper piecing is complicated to explain.  It's easy, but it's much easier to show someone than to try to write it out...lemme see if I can find instructions somewhere.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 03:58:14 PM »
I've made one quilt in my life, for my Laurel project. I had no idea what I was doing at the time; I just sewed scraps together, used a blanket for batting (which is what my aunt does--it works very well, if you prefer a warm yet thin layer between), and tied it in about 3 places. And now, 10 or 15 years later, it's falling apart on me. I didn't give enough seam allowance for some of the little pieces, I think.

What I want to do is something like Nessa's quilt--that's amazing! I like Fish's quilts, but I've just been fascinated with the idea of making something the way my ancestors might have, you know? I don't think I've ever shown anyone the square of the quilt my grandma made when she was 10 that now hangs on my wall. I might have pointed it out to Fish and Chimera when they were at my house (it was above the bookshelf by the bathroom), but I don't think I did. I'll have to take a picture of it and post it. It was a honeycomb quilt--hundreds of little honeycomb shapes about an inch wide sewn together to make bigger honeycombs, which were sewn together to make even bigger ones. It was amazing.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 04:34:10 PM »
Although, if you do decide to try quilting, sewing three sides of your quilt, and then standing inside it with the batting while your husband helps you pin it in place from the outside before sewing it all up for the final bit is apparently not the best way to go about things.  :P  Not that I know this from personal experience, or anything...

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 04:44:11 PM »
*Fish falls over in pain

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 04:46:09 PM »
hehehehe ;D

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 05:03:04 PM »
One of the residents at work showed me an easy way to make a "quilt" without batting or tying so I'm going to give it a try this week while I'm off, since J.T. has been complaining about needing another blanket.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 05:59:29 PM »
Tink: Before you take on a full-sized project like a bed-sized quilt, try a wall hanging instead (like the size of Fish's) or a baby quilt size. It's more manageable and if you mess up, not a lot of time/effort/money goes wasted.

There are some fabulous books out there for you to reference. It's the trend now for books to have very specific instructions on quilts, how much fabric to buy, and stuff like that. And a lot of the books give instructions in the front about what kind of batting to use, and etc. Joann's has many great quilt books, or if you don't want to spend the money borrow some books from the library and make copies of the patterns you like.

"Strip quilts" are a great way to start because you only sew straight lines and there isn't as much cutting or piecing. And they can look really cool (here's one one I've done that looks hard, but was easy).

Here's a website for classic quilt block patterns that you can print and use for free. (I've done the sagebud pattern from this site.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 06:05:52 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 06:13:44 PM »
I'm afraid I must object in the most strenuous terms to this thread.  Quilting is most definitely not a waste of time and it makes all us REAL time-wasters feel inadequate and loserish, which feelings are the very ones we come to this site to avoid.

Cease and Desist your discussion of quilting at once!
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »
 Quilting is most definitely not a waste of time

My husband would disagree with you. He thinks I should be spending more time helping him fix up the house! Bah.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2006, 06:20:20 PM »
I was wondering how long it would take one of the guys to complain at the girly thread.  ;)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 07:40:53 PM »
watch it or I'll lock it and start a new thread that makes fun of it!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2006, 10:45:38 AM »
How juvenile!  ::) One thread about girly stuff and you make threats and throw your weight around. What, you afraid we're going to recruit a bunch of Mollys and take over TWG?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2006, 10:47:01 AM »
as the proud owner of Stormy Sea I can say I think I got the best one... :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 10:48:08 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!