Author Topic: Fish Shows Off  (Read 7072 times)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Fish Shows Off
« on: February 05, 2006, 07:13:16 PM »
I made a bunch of landscape quilts as gifts last year, but because I gave them away, several people who wanted to see the finished products didn't get to.  So here they are.  Look at me!  Look at me!   ;D

http://photobucket.com/albums/y45/RaisinFish/Quilts/
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Fish Shows Off
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 07:31:12 PM »
no wonder your rich now... those things are beautiful!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 07:32:24 PM »
Man, if making landscape quilts made me rich I would be one happy girl.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 07:34:22 PM »
The fish still kills me by the way.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 07:37:33 PM »
Wow, those are really impressive.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 10:25:59 PM »
Those. Are. Awesome.

I quilt, too, but landscape quilts intimidate me. I'm a traditional quilter, myself.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 11:52:50 PM »
Beautiful! I love Sky Father and Stormy Sea the most.  Giverny is pretty cool, though. I had no idea you were such a quilting artist! Wow, and you gave those gorgeous things away? Now -that's- a gift from the heart! :)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 12:07:24 AM »

I quilt, too, but landscape quilts intimidate me.

I was intimidated by them for a long time, but I've actually found them to be easier for me than traditional quilting.  It's less repetitive and generally smaller, which makes it less work.  

They're actually (don't tell) really pretty easy.  I use paper foundation, which isn't very hard to do at all.  

But they are very hard to part with.  I grow attached to them.  If they weren't so much work I'd have to make copies for myself.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 12:07:41 AM by MsFish »

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 12:33:29 AM »
I've actually found them to be easier for me than traditional quilting.  It's less repetitive and generally smaller, which makes it less work...I use paper foundation, which isn't very hard to do at all.

The problem with traditional quilting is you have to line up everything so perfectly, and these seem to flow different (if that makes any sense), and perfect matching isn't important, and makes it more interesting. Paper piecing sounds so messy to me, so I've never tried it.

For me it's less the actual piecing---I like the hand quilting part (yes, I know, I'm a glutton for punishment).
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 12:33:48 AM »
Holy crap. That's all I can say.

You made a Mistborn quilt? :o You must really have liked it. ;)
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 12:48:55 AM »
How big are they?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 01:00:30 AM »
They're all 18" x 24".

Yeah, I made a Mistborn quilt.  And I had a blast with it.  It was EUOL's Christmas present.  Sky Father and Aive are also based on stories--CtrlZed's and Chimera's, to be exact.  

Nessa--paper piecing is actually quite useful.  I can do all kinds of things with it that I'd never dare try without the backing.  You peel the paper off at the end.  

I do *not* handquilt.  That's *so* impressive that you do.  If I can't do something on my machine, it sits for months, because I can't bring myself to hand sew.  It just takes so *long*.  

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 01:07:16 AM »
Wow, Fish.   Not only are you one of the best writers I know, you're also one of the most-creative artists as well.  The pictures look great, but seeing them in real life makes you appreciate them even more.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 11:10:30 AM »
I do *not* handquilt.  That's *so* impressive that you do.  If I can't do something on my machine, it sits for months, because I can't bring myself to hand sew.  It just takes so *long*.  

Here's one I've done
that you can see the hand-stitching on (well...at least some of it, pictures don't show as much of the stitching as I would like). It took two months to hand-stitch that quilt, compared to two weeks to put the top together. You're right, it is time consuming. I like to watch movies while I do it so I can feel like I'm multi-tasking  ;)

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 12:11:44 PM »
Well, I'm completely impressed with both of you. I have a sewing machine, but I hardly know how to use it. I would love to learn how to quilt because I absolutely love quilts, but I wouldn't know where to start, since I hardly know how to sew.

But I *LOVE* those quilts Ms. Fish. They are so great and beatiful and are artwork. I would love to be creative and do something like that, but as I said, I wouldn't know where to start. Thanks for sharing!