Author Topic: Stand Alone or Story Strips?  (Read 2239 times)

PorterMcD

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • giddy-up!
    • View Profile
    • CowPunch
Stand Alone or Story Strips?
« on: June 14, 2005, 06:40:08 PM »
Which do y'all prefer? Stand alone/one joke comic strips or serial/story comic strips? Personally I prefer one punch strips because I don't check sites frequently enough. So when I DO...I end up having to read an hours worth of comics! :-/

Just curious what you guys think...
Nuthin' like a cold glass of CowPunch!
www.CowPunch.com

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Stand Alone or Story Strips?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 10:48:12 PM »
I think stand alone comics tend to be better inherently.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 12:36:41 AM »
Well, I could go either way.

I really like the serial strips because they are more developed. However, after they get so big that is takes several hours (days) for new-comers to get caught up, then they become rather exclusive and often tedious.

The one punch strips are cool, but often I find myself just not caring after reading it for a month or so.

I think my ideal would be a serial strip that actually breaks itself into a kind of book format. Essentially grouping a certain number of strips together and labeling them as one story. Then a new story could be started that doesn't require having read the previous story.

For some reason, it seems that web comics just don't feel the need to organize their strips into anything organized other than numbering them.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 03:21:46 AM »
I like a mix like PvP and Sam And Fuzzy where you have short stories separated by a few stand alones.  All the web comics that have long over reaching stories that I use to read I no longer do because it always drags on to long and nothing major gets resolved some, i.e. Mega Tokyo, even get pretentious while others, RPG World, run the joke out too long.  I also hate starting to read new comics that are stories since I have to go back and read large amounts of comics to understand everything (like 8-bit theater).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 03:30:38 AM »
I like PvP a lot too, with short stories, but ones you can pick up at any strip - the stories only last a week or two, and they're simple enough you can easily pick up anywhere.

I also like PA's style, where there are an occasional story but mostly day strips, but I usually tend to like their story ones a lot more. Recently, they've done a lot of video game based comic book stories that are really great - Im tempted to laser colour print some and have them bound.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 09:20:49 AM »
Here's the thing, something like "It's Walky" would have been cool, except that he had this years-long story to tell. Far as I could tell, it would have been a really cool story. Had it made sense at all. With only 3-5 panels a day, development moves either so slowly you forget, or it moves too fast and skips lots of detail. It would have been better published a month's worth at a time, I think. (incidentally, most people think he hit his stride with "it's walky" but I think his previous "Roomies" was much superior -- "short packed" has a lot of potential, even if he isn't going as deep with it. I haven't read his new one). MegaTokyo also has this problem. I'm just never sure exactly where it's going -- or more to the point, where exactly it's been.

I agree with sprig. Comics like Bruno the Bandit, Something Positive, or Strip Tease, which have shorter stories, and then move on (they continue to have elements from previous stories, but nothing you have to have read to get into it) work the best for me. Bruno and usually SP have a joke every day and still work toward their goal. This shows some superior writing, I think.

one-offs are funny, but they're much easier to get away from and not read regularly.

What I really hate, though, is when there are 4 or 5 characters that are really similar. Call of Whatever, for example, had at least three characters that were visually very similar, and really weren't that different in personality, so strips got confusing. I hate that. (note, it was still a fun comic, but I kinda had to take on faith that it made sense, if he had ever had any identiy confusion, I would have been totally lost.

PorterMcD

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • giddy-up!
    • View Profile
    • CowPunch
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 11:11:46 AM »
It'd be nice to see the longer story comics in a different format,  similiar to the 6 page minicomic. I have no problem reading a meaty story if I can sit down and read a chunk-o-comic. I understand this is more work for the creator, but there's no reason he/she/it has to post more then once a week...I can even wait two weeks!

I'm sure there are some comics like that out there already, but I can't think of any right now. Can you?
Nuthin' like a cold glass of CowPunch!
www.CowPunch.com