Author Topic: Superfly on notice!  (Read 15174 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Superfly on notice!
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2006, 02:49:59 AM »
I really don't know where else to put this, but it's a rant and it's 2am, so here it goes because it doesn't deserve a thread of its own.

Why must life be so complicated all of the time?  I spent a week agonizing over the decision, then on monday I applied for a couple of jobs at local companies (the one I KNOW I can get would be four 10-hour shifts, Mon-Thurs, so i could still work weekends at my current job) and gave two weeks notice at my current job, because it is full of drama and I end up working my butt off because my coworkers suck and have the work ethic of a dead sloth.

I go into work today and they respond to my giving notice by giving me a raise and begging me to stay. Not *offering* me a raise, mind you, but actually putting through the dollar-an-hour raise and making it retroactive for the pay period and asking me to stay. I told them I'd think about it. Mind you this still only puts me at $8 an hour, because I am woefully overeducated and underemployed and living in a jobless hole in the middle of Ohio.

Sometime this week we're getting three banana trees in the mail, and I will teach myself to garden and care for plants in an attempt to work out the frustrations I have at EVERY OTHER THING in my entire life.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 02:52:10 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2006, 04:08:25 AM »
I'm sorry Fuzzy.

If it helps I can sympathize some. I too work at a job that I don't particularly care for, it's been going downhill ever since they fired the old manager on a whim. I'm very over-educated for the job, yet the rest of the people I work with are undereducated for their positions. Earlier this week I almost walked-out on them. I'm the only person in the company that knows how to do my job at the moment, yet that hasn't resulted in any sort of monetary appreciation.

I've started looking for another job, but can't seem to find anything that either pays enough or doesn't have worse working conditions.

On top of that I'm going to school, which generally means I get an average of 4 hours a sleep on any given day. And I have a teacher that is driving me insane with his new age mysticism that he tries passing off as serious academic material. In doesn't help that my classes are almost three hours long each.

If it weren't for my silly little ferret, I think I would be institutionalized.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2006, 04:51:09 AM »
And Im about to upheave my whole world and move 180 miles away from my wife to work at the MSO in Norfolk VA, because Im a glutton for something, punishment I think. Which is why Im gonna take advantage of CG funding and finish my degree. Its time. Then I can get out and be a teacher and do what I want with my summers and life. Oh and I wont have to go to war and stuff.

Still Im actually pretty bummed.

So I feel for you Fuzzy
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2006, 01:37:46 PM »
Sorry, Jeffe. One of those major transition times. At least there's a degree awaiting you. Good luck dude.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2006, 09:17:47 PM »
I waffle, sometimes I feel sorry for meself, sometimes I dont... it just depends.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2006, 11:13:57 PM »
I feel you on that one, Jeffe.  The sometimes feeling sorry for yourself thing.
One of my Ohio friends replied to my LJ post about this and said it sounded like I needed to leave the job anyway because it sounded like I hated it so much.  I think it's true; I have a lot of anger I didn't have 6 months ago, and I think getting a different job may be the only way to ditch it.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2006, 01:44:10 AM »
yes... yes...
Oh good evening ladies..good to see you online.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2006, 01:54:14 AM »
Thanks, I should go to sleep though; church at 9 tomorrow then I work til 10pm.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2006, 02:49:00 AM »
:(

Ick....

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2006, 04:42:25 AM »
Okay, a severe bout of insomnia has driven me back to TWG. I make no promises beyond this night. I'm needing some Superfly love at 1:40 in the morning.

But I saw that stacer and Brenna were logged on, and I thought I'd see if they felt like talking. *Chimera waves*

Hey girls! What's up?
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2006, 05:11:38 AM »
Sad, the girls are gone. Sprig is on, but I'm not sure if he's on (like sometimes people have the page open but they're not actually actively on the forum). I'll wave just in case. *Chimera waves to Spriggan*  ;D

Anyway, I'll probably be poking around here again. I didn't have any free time for awhile, and I had to severely limit my Internet time wasting. I won't have classes, just work, for the next two months, so that will be nice. But work and my writing and a social life is consuming enough.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2006, 05:51:05 AM »
Are you still up? I must have slipped off when you were slipping in. Wandering around the web aimlessly this evening, really. Restless. Just got home from the second installment of Buffy season 7, and for some reason coming home to just my kitties made me very sad. Even though my kitties do make me very happy.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2006, 05:54:53 AM »
I've been googling my name on blogsearch since the day of the interview, and it's been fun. Well, except for the blogbots that picked up the interview so they could make money from google ads. But there's this:

http://ozandends.blogspot.com/2006/06/visions-of-fantasy-editors.html

Which I thought was fun. He's the RA for the New England SCBWI, so it was quite a compliment for him to call my perspective "informed." :)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2006, 04:45:06 PM »
Yeah, we totally missed each other! I think I was still awake then, but I'd moved on to other things like my lj and researching a colon hydrotherapist in SLC (if you don't know about colonics, you probably don't want to ask).

That is so cool about that guy's blog! Of course he would call you "informed"--because you are--but still, that's really cool.

I googled my name once last year. There were a few other girls with my name, but absolutely nothing on myself. I'm like a web ninja!--or just extremely uninteresting. One or the other.  :)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2006, 04:54:57 PM »
I was doning some site coding last night so I had about 6 browser tabs open, wasn't really looking at this forum since no one is ever on Friday nights.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.