Author Topic: d20 Generic  (Read 3123 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
d20 Generic
« on: February 06, 2003, 05:42:51 PM »
Ok, we've been talking about flinking around with d20 systems, and I've been thinking about something.

Primarily this thought came from the inherant problems with Horror gaming. You can't really terrorize people when playing D&D or CoC when the dead walk because they already know they're to expect that.

Example:
(wrong:)
"Ok, we're playing Call of Cthulu. You feel a sense of dread, suddenly, a sickening mockery of the human form appears in the mist, accompanied by a shrill chant. Out of the horrid thing's mouth a tentacle gropes toward you."
"AIEEE! I run in fear! I never expected a tentacle monstrosity in Call of Cthulu!"

(right:)
<DM says the same thing:>
"OK, well, I guess we'd better make our fear checks. Look, I passed, I get to keep my sanity. I pull out my shotgun. Hopefully a couple blasts will knock it down and we'll be able to get away." (said while rifling through the popcorn bag to get the half popped kernals)

So, I had a big issue. How could I run a game where Nyarlathotep shows up and scares and surprised the bejezes out of my players? You can't have them make characters from the PHB. Nor from CoC. These will give away the theme, which I want to be a surprise. One answer that lacks flair is to have them make d20 Modern characters then throw in some Great Old Ones, keeping track of their sanity myself, and hope that works. I don't think that works so great, because that game is very cinematic, and they'll expect to beat it (they'll be wrong, of course, but it still doesn't generate fear).

Another alternative is to make standard characters from a system like GURPS. You never know what's going to happen in GURPS, and you could even make cyberpunk characters and spring the horror on them. But the system is a bit slow and I don't know many people who are already familiar.

So what other choice do I have? One solution I'm tossing around is very modular. I'd have something like two tracks, with no multi-classing. You either get an offensive track, like CoC, and get a +1 combat bonus at each level or a defensive track, which has advancement more like a Wizard in D&D. Saves would also progress differently. THe Defensive track gets +2 points to saves to distribute to any saving throw bonus. He could, for example, have +1 to Fort and +1 to reflex; or he could just have +2 for will. At odd numbered levels he'd get 2 more points. At even levels he'd only get one. The Offensive track would only start with 1 point to saves each level, but every THIRD level gets 2.

(An alternative version says you get 2 points each level, add it anywhere, to attack bonus, to Will, FOrt, or to Reflex, you choice, there are no tracks).

Now, I think that's workable, some people will be highly balanced and at every other level they'd even out. Other people would focus on one or two areas and be weak in all others. Skills would be a standard 4 points per level (plus Int bonus) and one feat every third level. Characters also get their bonus attribute point every fourth.

Now, I think that works straight out for a modern campaign, where people don't magically know how to block arrows or cast spells. Spells, if they need to be incorporated, can be added a la CoC, you have to find books and lose some sanity to get/cast them. Ta da!

But what if I want to do a horror-fantasy? In fantasy, I'd like to get characters with magic. Possibly give them some other abilities. I'd like some feedback on that.

I have some initial thoughts, of course, one is to eliminate classes to give a generic feel to the fantasy and have several "special ability progression" tables, which you could choose like class levels in D&D. This might be much more trouble than it's worth, depending on how successful it was in removing the D&D "feel" from the game. Because that's the real issue. How can I make a high fantasy game where seeing the dead rise scares the heck out of the players? Especially when the PHB has a description of abilities that deal with the living dead.

The closest I've seen anyone do this was EUOL. He started us out as 0 level peasants. But that wasn't scary so much as frustrating. What was scary was when, before our first level still, a LICH confronted us. A frickin LICH! Now, it was a gimmick to force one player into choosing a clerical path. The game itself wasn't horror. What was scary was that I already KNEW what a lich could do, and I knew there was NO WAY five 0-level characters could do ANYTHING to it. This, while fun, isn't what I have in mind.

So, now that I've talked your ear off, anything to say?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2003, 05:43:11 PM by SaintEhlers »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: d20 Generic
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 05:51:44 PM »
You could start the characters off with your generic system, but then allow them to move into more specific classes and such after the dead have risen--maybe seeing the Dread Old Ones prompts one of them to seek out and study magic, so he becomes a wizard. That's pretty close to EUOL's method, I guess, but it could work.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2003, 05:53:43 PM »
but that... that's too simple!!!!!!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 06:26:01 PM »
You are aware that Wizards has a generic D20 manual on its website. It's in the licensing area. I believe it discusses some of the things you want to do.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 06:44:20 PM »
actually, unless there are SUBSTANTIAL changes from when it was on the Open Gaming Foundation website, it's essentially the same text as the three core D&D books. Anyone know?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2003, 07:20:12 PM »
Yeah, I just looked it up again. The System Resource Document just has the same info as the PHB, MM, and DMG. Also the Psioncs HB, but that and the MM have not been "cleared" yet.

Entropy in Exile

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2003, 02:40:56 PM »
To be honest, im not entirely sure what your trying to do here.
if your players respond to zombies by saying "yeah, ok. get out shotgun" then tell them to roleplay. a CoC character should /never/ get used to zombies - its part of the background. Zombies are horrifying things that cause een strong hearted people to run in fear in CoC - in DnD they are cannon fodder. So tell the players to roleplay, and to try keeping in the theme of the game.

And i know id be running screaming like a little girl if Nyarlothep turned up. Nothing short of a Tank regiment can take him down.

As far as surprising players... im not sure if it can be done. You always expect nasty things to happen when you roleplay. Maybe the best way is to insert CoC monsters into a totally unrelated game. like deep ones assaulting your Cairn in Werewolf. Or Elder Ones appearing in Star Trek.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2003, 07:19:33 PM »
I think surprising players is actually quite easy. Its all about control. The GM lets the players think they have control and then yanks it away. Admitibly this requires some rules altering. A GM who plays by the book will never surprise their players (and the books usually say that), particularly if the players have read all the same books the GM has.

To go with the zombie example, if the players in a DnD campaign hack thru a whole army of zombies then the GM isn't doing something right. The zombies weren't tough enough or the players characters are too tough. At any rate it is usually a misjudgement on the part of the GM. The GM should have hampered the players (place them in an anti-magic zone or above a lava trap, whatever) or should have beefed up the zombies (add fighter levels or give them damage reduction or whatever, whatever). Course sometimes its fun to let them waiste a few hampered zombies (missing limbs or some other penalty) and then throw them up against the real thing.

As I see it, the responsibility of the GM is to bend the rules to keep the players guessing. Players can out guess the GM or simply be very clever, but not all the time if the GM is running things right.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2003, 07:22:06 PM »
Nyarlathotep + tank regiment = dead tank regiment.

Simple physics, old son.

:)
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2003, 12:40:31 AM »
Gnome with a stick + Nyarlathotep = dead Nyarlathotep

Basic metaphysics.

:)