Author Topic: another spam rant  (Read 32517 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: another spam rant
« Reply #270 on: November 26, 2005, 04:27:05 AM »
I love the military's answer to that, which is pretty much what I was thinking:
Remember, if the FBI wants to talk with you, they will knock on you door and show proof of identity. They will not call. They will not send you an email.

Maddrjeffe got that in an announcement about the virus threat. I completely concur--if the FBI is interested enough in me to accuse me of something, they'd have me downtown before I know what's hit me. Or at least be knocking on my door. It makes me laugh that these spammers think it'll work, and it irritates me that people will actually fall for it.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 26, 2005, 04:41:22 PM »
Isn't it a federal crime to impersonate a federal agent? Whoever these virus writers are, they're in bigger trouble than usual if they get caught.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 26, 2005, 07:08:50 PM »
Assuming they are in the USA.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 27, 2005, 12:04:02 AM »
i got that along with a bunch of other spams the same day from that same address.  it was kind of obvious, but that last part with their address and hours and stuff made me double take.  
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 27, 2005, 02:35:48 AM »
I think I need to spread my e-mail address around more. The last scam I was contacted for was the whole Nigerian banking thing, which is totally passe now.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 27, 2005, 02:07:15 PM »
Done and Done!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 27, 2005, 06:26:57 PM »
wow, that is a pretty old one.  I am actually glad i don't get much new spam.  I keep getting the old daily ones; enlarge your member!  and other stupid clearly sexual ones.  I love having to not even check if they are sent from someone in my past, having the title in all caps with letters that don't make words helps.
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 28, 2005, 12:06:46 AM »
My hotmail account is really annoying me, I get like twenty spam e-mails a day in my inbox and like forty in my junk folder. None of my other e-mail accounts have even more than a tenth of this.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #278 on: November 28, 2005, 10:02:08 AM »
Isn't it a federal crime to impersonate a federal agent? Whoever these virus writers are, they're in bigger trouble than usual if they get caught.

I believe it is also a federal crime (falling under insterstate commerce) to write a computer virus in the first place. I think they're not really worried about being caught.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 02, 2006, 08:06:22 PM »
It's a Western spam that can't always spell! It makes no sense, but it really made me laugh.

Then with a leap he was out thedoor, to bound down the stairs. As a matter of fact, the rustling business is as good as thecattle business. This is the last letter I shall ever write you, my friend. This courtis powerful interested in what Surface said. In fact, Brazos, there is only onedrop of bitterness to taint the sweet cup of Don Carloss Rancho. I was aboot to shake the dust of Las Animas. One of thethree had a young, nervous, high-pitched voice, almost womanish. Riders like you are not tough or low-down. As the train slowed to ahalt he espied Bilyen foremost of the waiting bystanders. But somewhere along thistrail to the railroad, the name Surface leaked out. A blind man could have seen thet hedmurdered him. When he arrived at the corner, he espied one of the twins talking toHenry Sisk. Wal, Surface, thet Texas breed opened up this cattle empire. He picked up his bag and made for the platform. I was aboot to shake the dust of Las Animas. Lura, yu shore oughtnt play at love with a hombre like me. She come way back heah to be far from thet cabin. Wal, I do pretty good, considerin, returned Brazos. Ill do thet some day, concluded Brazos, and returned to hisseat beside young Sain. Cause what I know caint be proved at this tellin. Howdy, Brazos Keene, she said, with a smile. Hank saysyoure goin to stay here an look into the deal we Neeces have had. Why, youre thecoolest cow boy I ever met. But maybe if I was Henry Sisk or Jack Sain Iwould have more chance for you to like me. Death was caused by a compoundfracture of the skull with consequent concussion of the brain.

Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

chunktile

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 15, 2006, 02:30:51 AM »
Stacer, that's hilarious.  ;D

I don't know where these spammers keep getting my email. I don't sign up for anything with the account I use most.
If everyone is different, then no one is the same. With no definition of the normal, aren't we all insane?

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 21, 2006, 12:31:05 PM »
He picked up his little son and caughthim to him pressing his smooth face to his own.
Georgesis now of great interest to the government. And yet they were in love with each other. She should stand by the hearthwith the child in her arms. Butshe had said nothing and he fell silent. No one excepthimself had ever run just exactly like that. He found himself overtaken and surrounded as if by a crowd oflittle boys.
All that he couldsay was that it all seemed unavoidable.
He was not really as anxious asall that, he told himself.
Until the last opera season was over we lived at Meudon.
When I was a very young man I sufferedgreatly.
It washer fear that his return would persuade her to try to do so. The womanhad been unpredictable from her slim and modest beginnings. They laughed at thesound of the prose of Rousseau.
And time has wings and shakes manythings out of them. Until the last opera season was over we lived at Meudon.
Angela may even tell youwhy; she is grateful. What am I to do, disguise myself as a blanchisseuse?
It washer fear that his return would persuade her to try to do so.
They were eveninvited once to the Hôtel Salm. Thereis certainly a good deal of the lady.
Oh, my lover, my only lover, she murmured.

Besides missing a few spaces, I'm impressed with the vocabulary of this one.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 22, 2006, 04:06:07 AM »
I think they've started sampling from actual books. Perhaps not the best books, but they're out there somewhere.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 22, 2006, 01:42:06 PM »
I got one that was disturbing yesterday not that the title itself was out of the ordinary, (It was something you'd expect like, "I'm a lonely girl, come see how horny I am!"  or something along those lines, but the really disturbing part is that it was sent by Frank Herbert.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 22, 2006, 10:10:50 PM »
That is disturbing. Who names their daughter "Frank?"
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder