Author Topic: RPG software  (Read 5733 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: RPG software
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2003, 01:55:35 PM »
The key is that you should be able to login once and get access to everything you have--multiple characters, admin/GM functions, etc. When you post, however, it displays your character name rather than your overall username. I remember posting to AORP a couple of times in my Deadlands persona, and it would be a lot easier to avoid that if the thread knew which of my characters belonged there.

I agree that XP should be awarded manually, but there could be a couple of different functions involved. The GM can access each character, of course, and award XP individually, but it would speed things up significantly if you could also just select a group (say, after a big battle) and give them all an equal chunk of XP.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2003, 04:04:37 PM »
I guess what I'm saying with XP is that I WANT control, but I don't want to work entirely by memory. I want to see a post, say "hey! that's a good idea/really developing his character/helping move the story along" and reward it on the spot.  The board software can then tell me if I've awarded for a post before and tell me if I've overlooked any. Naturally individual awards can range from 0xp to however many you want. And naturally, I should be able to award miscellaneous amounts if the sum of a character's posts don't reflect his overall contributions. But it would save time calculating how much a character has earned to hit a button, enter a number, and ENTER. I don't want players to see what they're getting till it's time to level up. But I've already been clear that the more you posts good things, the faster you'll gain levels, so I have to deal with the consequences of that (awarding very low or no xp to stupid posts, for example).

Heck, it might even be fun to track the reasons why someone got XP. Then there could be a reward for "most in character" or "most kills" or "best planner." something like that. Or even "most quotes of the week."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2003, 04:38:55 PM »
Uhm. a question. Is  this still being played at www.saintehlers.com or are you working on the idea of moving it here? nobody has actually stated either way.

I have no plans on moving it. Mostly because that would make the archive on a completely different server, but also because I have a lot more freedom on the server it's on right now. I think what Fell and Tage and Spriggan are talking about is starting another one for TWG.

And ehler, yeah sure. make the character scottish tho. easier to RP and all that. i spend loads of time browsing the internet anyway, so i might as well try a BB rpg game. oh, are barbarians on the menu? ive never played one of them.  and, you want me to make a NPC PC, right? does that mean i dont have to create a character history etc? pity. i like making those.

I do have a Scottish character I *think* has been abandoned. Frankly I just haven't heard from the player in several months. Although I KNOW she's still alive and connected to the Internet (just missed her in a chat room a few times).  I have another character that I'm pretty sure has been abandoned too. He's a barbarian, but he's a norseman/proto-viking. He's got one of the most interesting histories/story elements too, imo. Unfortunately, he hasn't had the attention he needs or has the player learned much about his eventual "destiny," so he seems rather underdeveloped.

I also have a priest, a trio of knights (maybe 4), a Welsh/gypsy fighter (female), a sorceress, and possibly a couple rangers. I'll have to look at my records to see if I've got any others. There's one or two others I could probably revive. Many of the characters I've already named have very sketchy backgrounds because up to now, they haven't been important. Others have fairly well defined roles so have the important stuff pretty well layed out. Send me an email ( [email protected] ) if anything grabs your interest, or if you have an idea. I might be able to work it into one of the characters already here.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2003, 06:18:27 PM »
Well I guess the question is where to award exp.  From what I was getting from SE's post a DM would have the option when loged in to have a check box under each post by clicking that box it would award the poster the XP the the DM typed in the box next to the check box.  Then if the DM wants to award multiple people exp when he posts a reply there will be a check box that will allow him to gix exp to multiple people.

As for muttiple people per account.  Easy, just use a multi dimentional array.  Sweet and simple.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2003, 07:08:41 PM »
Exactly, as long as the "group xp" allows you to define the group. Like one person who's supposed to be a brave knight runs and hides when the rest of the group fights off a demon, you can exclude the knight from the award.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2003, 07:12:45 PM »
well it would have an award all box and a section that would let you define groups, probaly by check boxs.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2003, 08:35:24 PM »
Entropy, the version I have of pcgen does have oriental adventures. You may have to search the web for the add-ons. There are many people contributing to pcgen, not just those who originally made it.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2003, 11:19:12 AM »
http://www.timewastersguide.com/VG/csheettest.php

here's a test that I threw together last night.  I know the classes are misspelled and you can't type a name in.  This is just for figureing out how to do race/attribites and have them update real time.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 11:21:30 AM by Spriggan »

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2003, 12:06:23 PM »
Cool. So will it be possible eventually, to roll using different rolling methods? I keep getting a lot of 3s and 4s. I assume you are going to add more classes, like rogue.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2003, 01:13:07 PM »
My only complaint is the colors. Esp. the blue. Doesn't show up that well. Oh, and yeah, it looks like I'm getting 4 or more below average scores per character.

*tries a few more* no. Looks like most characters are getting an equal number of above and below average scores, with some 10s and 11s thrown in for fun. Although, I had a human get a 1. What's that all about?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2003, 08:29:11 PM »
Guys its a test, the color sceme was chosen at 3 am last night and the final verson will be much better.  also I haven't done anything with classes so I realy didn't care to makesure they were all there.  Yes there will be different roll methods.  right now it's just a random number between 1-18.   again this was just more to test a few things then actual 100% accurate.  I'm going to have it roll 1-6 3x then add them together.  That was just another function I didn't care to put in last night.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2003, 04:20:24 PM »
Does anyone have a decent character sheet forum?  I'm not realy that good at makeing those so If someone has made one they'd let me use I'd appreciate it.  I'd perfer no more then 2 pages.  That way I can finish some things on my program.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2003, 08:53:38 PM »
what format you looking for?
I have about half a million of them (mostly in .doc or .xls formats) I've tried from different places. I finally just made my own to do what I want. It's one page unless you're a spellcaster, in which case it goes to 2 pages. It's in MS Word format, printed to a PDF. If'n you want, I'll zip them all up and post them somewhere, or I can just post a couple. Let me know

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2003, 11:51:04 PM »
that sounds great, either pdf or a word file will be good.  I'm going to have to rebuild it in flash but I want a visual guide.  you can email it to me:
[email protected]

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2003, 12:32:06 PM »
Thanks for the Character sheets to those of you that sent them to me.  I'm working on it now.