Author Topic: Whaddaya think?  (Read 2238 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Whaddaya think?
« on: April 23, 2003, 01:41:52 AM »
The recent RPG boom here on TWG, and my ongoing enjoyment of AORP, has made me think about starting a forum-based game. No, I'm not talking about angry ditch diggers, I'm talking about, well...something very similar to AORP (click links in Saint's signature if you still don't know what I'm talking about).

Who would be interested in playing this type of game? What game would you want to play? I'm not saying that we're going to start one, but it's a fun idea and I want to see if there's any support for it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Whaddaya think?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 04:33:56 AM »
I've tried to GM this time of game before and didn't have much fun with it, but as a player I might.  I depends on the game rules an setting.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 09:56:51 AM »
I'd like to be a player. Don't want to RUN another one. depends on the setting/genre though.

1. Just some tips. Do a better job controlling number fo players/characters than I have (in fact, you might notice a high mortality rate for NPCs in AORP in the next few weeks)

2. Like in web comics, dAILY attention is the most important thing. I really screwed up for a long time, leaving people in the lurch for weeks or months. That's why I lost so many players. It's my own fault.

3. If you have more than 2 parties, you might want help in the form of a second or assistant DM. Someone who is committed to the project, almost as much as you.

4. Stick to your guns with the house rules you introduce. When you allow variations just to get a new player, then you change the nature of your game.  

Just some tips from someone who learned the hard way.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 10:13:45 AM »
you may also want to look at a live RPG system like Grip and just coordinate it through the website rather than on a post by post basis.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 12:44:53 PM »
If I were to GM (and, basically, that's the only way it would work), it would be one of Palladium's games, probably Heroes Unlimited, Nightbane, or Rifts. Combat is much simpler in a webgame like this, so Palladium's wacky rules wouldn't get in the way...I might even use the new house rules I came up with by stealing Inquisitor's damage system.

If we play HU (and that's my main choice, because I'm on a comics kick right now), I would try to keep everybody on a Mutant/Experiment theme, sort of like X-Men, just so I could take advantage of their new supplement "Mutant Underground."

If we play Rifts, I'd keep it simple (none of this "anything goes" character variety that so often derails Rifts games) and make heavy use of North America and the Burbs--again, because they just put out an adventure supplement that I could use. Alternately we could do Rifts Phase World, which is a big space fantasy, because they just released a great supplement for that.

There are no recent supplements for Nightbane, but I've always been interested in a historical campaign and this might be the opportunity. Nightbane are monstrous defenders of humanity who happen to be immortal (sort of like vampires or Highlanders). It would be fun to do a campaign where we start in ancient egypt (or something) and then each adventure takes place in a new historical setting: the Roman Empire, barbarian Europe, exploration of the New World, Pirates, American Revolution, World War 1 or 2, etc. This could be weird, and you'd have to forgive my occasional historical inaccuracy, but it might be fun.

So those are my ideas, and I'm definitely open to more. I appreciate Saint's advice, and I think this could be fun.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 01:50:04 PM »
One of my other friends was actually going to do HU on the AORP boards a while back till he realized he never followed through with any projects and wasn't about to change that streak.

So yeah, I'll be up for that. I want one of my super powers to be able to destroy the universe using only my thoughts :)

(But I'll settle for less).

An idea for something like that. If you're going for mutations, etc. Perhaps not letting the players CHOOSE their powers is something to consider. After all, the mutation is often a surprise and manifests suddenly with undesired results (a la Rogue in the X-Men movie). However, players may chafe at that and want to have more control over character design.  However, if that's what you go with, I'd like random determination of my powers. It'd be a challenge to live up to.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 01:58:21 PM »
I think HU is defantly Palladiums funnest books.  Mostly 'casue there are so many different charcter types you can make and all the cool superpowers.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 02:19:51 PM »
I always build my own characters as randomly as possible, but I understand that a lot of people don't go in for that sort of thing so I'm open to a little fudging. Maybe we could let people roll twice as many powers as they need and then pick the ones they want.

And I agree with Sprig--HU is one of the their funnest books, and there's a lot of great material to use. One issue of the Rifter gave great rules for Teen heroes, and I think it would be fun to have one of those (the only real difference is that they have less education, a couple of stat penalties, and occasionally poor control over their powers).

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 02:24:20 PM »
Fell, I'm going to encourage you to start an HU campaign. Soon. You only have to have a vague idea of the over all campaign (as it will develop slowly and you can work out what will happen next that will move the game to the climax) and a good idea of the first scene. I'd even encourage you to make a whole TEAM of teens. I have some ideas for the campaign if you want, a scrapped project from a while back that I never intend to resurrect.

I'll help however you want, so long as I get to be a player, not a ref.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2003, 02:58:53 PM »
Wow, a whole team of teens...that's cool. Me likey. Let me get to workin', and I'll see what we can come up with forum-wise.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2003, 03:29:35 PM »
Oooooh! I'm interested in HU. I haven't played it in years. So Fell you have my support.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2003, 03:30:45 PM »
I've added a brand new section to the bottom of the forum. Let us continue this discussion there.