Author Topic: RPG Market  (Read 6948 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: RPG Market
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2003, 08:11:11 PM »
I'm not sure if I count as a confirmation, but I've heard the same thing Slant has about those celebs.  I've heard Vin likes to play half orcs to get into character, actually (seriously).    These things just don't get publicized much.  Robin Williams is an avid 40K player and you only see that come up when he walks into a game store and plays someone who frequents popular message boards like DakkaDakka and Portent.

As for Mormons...I bet if they did a study of different religions/denominations you'd find the highest percentage of gamers per capita is in the Mormon faith.  I'd say at least 80% of the Mormons I've met have gamed or do game.  Just something I've noted over the years...

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2003, 08:23:48 PM »
This might be because you've met Mormons THROUGH gaming. Church around here is about hte LAST place I'll look for someone to join my gaming group. I can count two I was in wards with during the last 15 years that were gamers. This ignores the obvious (skewing) results of gaming in Provo, where EVERY gamer you meet is 90% likely to be a Mormon.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2003, 09:04:27 PM »
Nope, Saint.  I've never met a Mormon through gaming.  I've always known them through school or other organization and then come to find out they've gamed.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2003, 01:25:33 AM »
I think if you count computer and miniature gaming, he's not far off. Mormons have the same religious stigma about RPGs that every other religion has, but we sure do love our other games.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2003, 08:57:22 AM »
I don't know if ANYONE ON THE PLANET who isn't related to me read the article in BYU Magazine that they wrote about TLE and primarily interviewed me for, but I pretty much laid out a really simplified version of my theories on why Mormons are so interested in SF/F. We really do have an affinity for it. That combined with the need for the wholesome entertainment of most party and board games sort of makes us liable to be gamers, I suppose. I guess I just haven't seen it around here. I should try to convert more of my elder's quorum on to gaming.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2003, 01:35:39 PM »
Vin said on Connan O'Brian and in an EW article that he's been playing D&D sence if first came out
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.